• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC to use with TOPPING L30

trotos

Hi all, long time since I've post anything, but I need your help (if you don't mind).

I've recently acquired the TOPPING L30, that I would like to use with my beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO.
I would like to acquire a new DAC and I have the following on my mind (all have stellar results):
S.M.S.L M200 (pros LDAC bluetooth? but people are complaining about the test results, maybe too expensive, +balanced output for the future?) price 280
TOPPING D10s (pros price?) price 100
TOPPING E30 HiFi DAC (no idea why I should chose that one over the D10s, does the independent from the USB power supply makes any huge difference?) price 129
SONCOZ LA-QXD1 (good price +balanced output for the future?) price 209

I do tend to believe that the bluetooth might worth it, as I can switch from my PC input to my phone input easily, but I have no idea if the +180 from the D10s is worth it (for the M200).
For full transparency I already own a topping D50s (with bluetooth). I am using it to connect my openelec chromebox via bleutooth but I am uncertain if I could use the usb output.

Any clues, suggestions, or any comments on my thought process.

Many thanks

Edit, setup information as requested.
So my desktop PC Windows10 is in my office. This is where I need my headphones. Currently headphones are connected directly to the motherboard.

My Chromebox openelec is in my living room. D50s connects that (by Bluetooth) and my PS4 (by optical) to my TV and my amplifier/loudspeakers set. So I do "need" to buy another DAC.

Last edited:

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For full transparency I already own a topping D50s (with bluetooth). I am using it to connect my openelec chromebox via bleutooth but I am uncertain if I could use the usb output.

Please draw a diagram of your gear.

Impossible to give a proper advice at this point.

Last edited:
OP
T

trotos

Please draw a diagram of your gear.

Impossible to give a proper advice at this point.
Understood, could you please elaborate so that I could provide a proper diagram. an example of what I should present.
Thank you

wasnotwasnotwas

Hi all, long time since I've post anything, but I need your help (if you don't mind).

I've recently acquired the TOPPING L30, that I would like to use with my beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO.
I would like to acquire a new DAC and I have the following on my mind (all have stellar results):
S.M.S.L M200 (pros LDAC bluetooth? but people are complaining about the test results, maybe too expensive, +balanced output for the future?) price 280
TOPPING D10s (pros price?) price 100
TOPPING E30 HiFi DAC (no idea why I should chose that one over the D10s, does the independent from the USB power supply makes any huge difference?) price 129
SONCOZ LA-QXD1 (good price +balanced output for the future?) price 209

I do tend to believe that the bluetooth might worth it, as I can switch from my PC input to my phone input easily, but I have no idea if the +180 from the D10s is worth it (for the M200).

Any clues, suggestions, or any comments on my thought process.

Many thanks
You've lost me too. Why can't you use the d50 with the L30?

OP
T

trotos

Got it. Sorry it is rather late here.
Ok. So my desktop PC Windows10 is in my office. This is where I need my headphones. Currently headphones are connected directly to the motherboard.
My Chromebox openelec is in my living room. D50s connects that (by Bluetooth) and my PS4 (by optical) to my TV and my amplifier/loudspeakers set. So I do "need" to buy another DAC.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor

Openelec based Chromebox

Understood, could you please elaborate so that I could provide a proper diagram. an example of what I should present.
Thank you

I think I understand, keep your D50s, do not buy anything else. Use the money towards another headphone perhaps?
You have everything you need BT(LDAC)/USB/RCA

Connect like like this:
Chromebox -> USB -> D50s -> RCA -> Topping L30 -> DT 1990 PRO

Only one question, what phone are you using? Brand and model please.

To make LDAC work you have to have a telephone that supports it.
As far as I know only Sony and other Android 10 phones supports LDAC. It's up to each manufacturer to implement it in the OS/Firmware of the phone. Like my Motorola G8 Pro Dual eu.

Got it. Sorry it is rather late here.
Ok. So my desktop PC Windows10 is in my office. This is where I need my headphones. Currently headphones are connected directly to the motherboard.

Didn't see the latest one.
ChromeBox -> Topping D30 -> RCA -> Topping L30 -> DT 1990 PRO
But, are you sure that your PC isn't good enough? Brand and model of the PC, please.
Most PC have really good analog outs. The only reasons I can see to get an external DAC would be that you have have problems with hiss, hum or ground loops. Secondly, external volume controls.

When I was fed up with all the problems I had with my computer (drivers, hum, noise), I choose to add an external /DAC/ADC/Headphone AMP,
the Swissonic HAD-1, nothing fancy. It added external volume control, optical in to connect my Chromecast Audio, less noise and no hum.

So if your computer is up to spec, you are only adding functionality. On the other hand, if you have problems with hiss, hum or ground loops, then get an L30. The resulting stack is good looking too.

Last edited:
OP
T

trotos

Openelec based Chromebox

I think I understand, keep your D50s, do not buy anything else. Use the money towards another headphone perhaps?
You have everything you need BT(LDAC)/USB/RCA

Connect like like this:
Chromebox -> USB -> D50s -> RCA -> Topping L30 -> DT 1990 PRO

Only one question, what phone are you using? Brand and model please.

To make LDAC work you have to have a telephone that supports it.
As far as I know only Sony and other Android 10 phones supports LDAC. It's up to each manufacturer to implement it in the OS/Firmware of the phone. Like my Motorola G8 Pro Dual eu.
Many thanks.
Phone is Huawei mate 10 and does support ldac.
The correct diagram would be:
Living room
Chromebox -> bluetooth -> D50s -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers
PS4 -> optical -> D50s -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers
Office
Windows10 -> usb -> ???DAC -> L30 -> headphones
Mobile -> LDAC -> ???DAC -> L30 -> headphones
So I will get the D10s to substitute the D50s and use that one as ???DAC .
I believe it will work or am I missing something?

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
use the the topping D50s (with bluetooth) unless you want the D10s as a set
Edit, setup information as requested.
So my desktop PC Windows10 is in my office. This is where I need my headphones. Currently headphones are connected directly to the motherboard.

FYI

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Many thanks.
Phone is Huawei mate 10 and does support ldac.
The correct diagram would be:
Living room
Chromebox -> bluetooth -> D50s -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers
PS4 -> optical -> D50s -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers
Office
Windows10 -> usb -> ???DAC -> L30 -> headphones
Mobile -> LDAC -> ???DAC -> L30 -> headphones
So I will get the D10s to substitute the D50s and use that one as ???DAC .
I believe it will work or am I missing something?

Kind of hard to make a suggestion, it all depends on where you store your audio and how you stream/access it all.
Can your Windows 10 system and your phone reach all media? How do you want to listen to music?
I still don't understand this configuration: Chromebox -> bluetooth -> D50s -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers
Why not use USB and still use the phone for BT(LDAC, for a lossless connection? Perhaps the Chromebox isn't close to the D50s?
What brand and model is the ChromeBox? (I'm all about optimization and less hassle)

I can only give a loooooong text as spoilers for easy reading on how my system is built in my home for audio usage, as reference:

Media Sources:
NAS
YouTube Music
Sony PS-LX300USB Turn Table
Pioneer CT-S530 Tape Deck
Pioneer DV-444 DVD Player
PS3 (CD/DVD/Bluray)
Controllers:
Windows 10 (Ethernet 1Gbit/BT(AAC)
Motorola G8 Pro (BT(AAC/LDAC)/Wifi/Apple USB-C Dongle/Headphone)
Google Nest Hub (Wifi/Speaker)
Apps
Hi-Fi Cast (Android App)
VLC (Windows App)
Output options
ChromeCast Audio (Wifi) #1
(Optical -> HAD-1)
ChromeCast Audio (Wifi) #2
(Analog -> Headphones)
ChromeCast Ultra (Ethernet 100Mbit)
(HDMI -> Denon AVR-1611eu AVR)
Note: All the Google products can be grouped together in any combination.
Amps and Speakers
Denon AVR-1611eu AVR -> Speakers
( Dynavoice Magic S-3 EX v3 Front | Magic C-4 EX v3 Center | Magic Sub 8 EX v3 5.1 Surround)

Swissonic HAD-1 DAC/Headphone AMP/ADC ->
(Behringer Xenix QX1202USB Mixer -> Fluid Audio F5 (XLR) & H&K TS-7 Sub (RCA) Speakers)
(Headphones)

Headphones
Sony MDR-1a gen 1
Sony MDR-1000X
CoolerMaster MH-752 USB
Some combinations of consuming audio:
NAS -> 100 Mbit LAN -> Windows 10 or Motorola G8 Pro
YouTube Music -> Windows 10, Motorola G8 Pro, Google Nest Hub
Sony PS-LX300USB Turn Table -> HAD-1
Pioneer CT-S530 Tape Deck -> HAD-1
Pioneer DV-444 DVD Player -> HAD-1
PS3 (CD/DVD/Bluray) -> Denon AVR-1611eu AVR

Option #1
FIIO BTA30 BT 5.0 Receiver / Transmitter. But that's not released yet, not in EU. Estimated price €99 incl VAT in EU.
Link here at ASR
Windows10 -> USB -> D50s -> L30 -> Headphones
Mobile -> LDAC -> D50s/BTA30 -> L30 -> Headphones
Chromebox -> USB -> BTA30 -> RCA -> amplifier -> speakers

The BTA30 and the D50s are interchangable depending what you need.

Top Bottom