• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Filters

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When it comes to filters, which one do you choose for the most honest and faithful reproduction? Everyone will have their own prefences but that does not mean its the closest to the source, if its even audible in the first place. How do we know which one is the most accurate?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guys from SMSL have a description of what each filters does. Does that descriptions make any sense? Thanks.

smsl_filters.jpg

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
If you care up sample in software and not in the dac.

Mathematically "correct" is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_filter
But it requires infinite delay and preringing to be "perfect"
So you might make some compromises to get good but not perfect results without infinite time ;)

Brick-wall filters that run in realtime are not physically realizable as they have infinite latency (i.e., its compact support in the frequency domain forces its time response not to have compact support meaning that it is ever-lasting) and infinite order (i.e., the response cannot be expressed as a linear differential equation with a finite sum), but approximate implementations are sometimes used and they are frequently called brick-wall filters.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The guys from SMSL have a description of what each filters does. Does that descriptions make any sense? Thanks.

View attachment 174591
The descriptions are BS. The sharp Rolloff filter is the correct one as all others do not adhere to a correctly implemented reconstruction filter (frequencies above fs/2 need to be suppressed 90 dB or more).

KSTR

Major Contributor
The descriptions are BS. The sharp Rolloff filter is the correct one as all others do not adhere to a correctly implemented reconstruction filter (frequencies above fs/2 need to be suppressed 90 dB or more).
It was taken right out from AKM's marketing material of the AK4493/5/7 DAC chips. "Super Slow" is actually NOS btw.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was taken right out from AKM's marketing material of the AK4493/5/7 DAC chips. "Super Slow" is actually NOS btw.
I had the intuition it wasn't SMSL's material. I guess there should be some element of truth, or at least some basis to state such things.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not capable of doing the math , but I do believe the others ( as I read elsewhere ) when they say brick wall is the most correct .

They’re may be other reasons to choose a slightly lees step filter , bu t I don’t design DAC’s

My understanding is that :

If you can discern these differences some or all off them are wrongly implemented ,for example some of the slow filters I’ve seen graphed makes an audible impact down towards 15kHz . I think the whole filter craze is actually due to the unwanted audible contributions . These are then by audiophile logic transformed to something good.

The DAC designer ( not the chip manufacturer) should be able to make the correct choice for each sample rate and it should not be a user parameter to fudge with .

The chip makers such as AKM or ESS ofcourse wants it to be fudge factor for the end user :) and rightly so we all now recognise the specific chip in our DAC’s and AVR’s and for some reason care even if we should not ?
Audiophile mythological tales have it to be akin choosing a moving coil cart to suite your turntable, when it’s nothing like that . Implementation is everything ( ESS hump anyone) in the correct design it would not matter sonically. But there can probably be countless other engineering decisions involved in picking the proper chip for your design.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Sharp Roll Off it is then. In fact thats the default on my dac.

kchap

Forum Donor
The discussion about filters goes something like this:

Me: I prefer the manufacturer had used the standard sharp roll off linear phase filter.
My Protagonist: I hate that brick wall effect. It ruins the sound stage, the music sounds dead.

Me: I suspect people claiming they can hear a difference are just stating a preference for the aliasing artifacts i.e. they like certain types of distortion.
MP: Don't worry about it, in all likelihood cannot hear above 10K and you definitely cannot hear above 20K.

Me: I am embarrassed to admit it but probably true. If we can't hear it why change the filter.
MP: I hate that brick wall effect. It ruins the sound stage, the music sounds dead.

Me: I suspect people claiming they can hear a difference are just stating a preference for the aliasing artifacts i.e. they like certain types of distortion.
MP: Don't worry about it, in all likelihood cannot hear above 10K and you definitely cannot hear above 20K.

and so on ...

KSTR

Major Contributor
The mathematically ideal reconstruction filter is known (sinc) but impossible -- or at least inconvenient -- to realize. Therefore, approximations are used in DACs, with a careful weighting of what's more relevant vs. what is less relevant in practice.

When investigated thoroughly it turns out that the frequency response is the dominant factor. NOS and "Slow" filters have significant roll-off of the treble (up to several dB's by the time they reach 20kHz) and that is clearly audible as long as your hearing is still good to, say 15kHz and above... with source material that has enough content there (white noise preferred here as test signal).

The attenuation at fs/2 is way less important, as is the general attenuation above fs/2. Time-domain aspect (post-ringing only vs. pre-and post-ringing, or in other words, the phase response) is also not that important. And the higher the sampling rate the more so:
  • Music seldom contains significant amounts of energy around, let alone above 20kHz.
  • Any imaged components (frequencies mirrored at fs/2) are above normal hearing range for most people. With 48kHz or greater everything is 100% out of the hearing range of anybody in the world.
  • Any downstream components that are not total junk will not produce any relevant additional intermodulation distortion products from the mixing of the images with the original content. And if they are junk, the normal IMD from signals below fs/2 is already dominating the picture, a bit more junk added doesn't have any real impact anymore.
  • Any normal music signals also do not contain single dirac samples which would actually excite the ringing. But even when it is excited, it is at fs/2, so above normal hearing range.
Go here for a demonstration what different filters would sound like if we could hear beyond 80kHz.

Bottom line. Don't worry too much about DAC filters, and use the "Sharp" types which have the flattest frequency response. But even when using NOS, you can apply a bit of EQ to make it flat up to 20kHz and then the ususally reported differences don't expose themselves anymore.

For ADC's (Analog to Digital Converters), the filters are way more important as insufficient filters acctually corrupt the signals unrecoverably, adding aliased signals (stuff above fs/2 folded down below fs/2).

Top Bottom