• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L D400ES PCM Filters

Dunlavyphile

Forum Donor
The discussion thread for the product review has a long exchange on this topic, but I didn't notice a resolution. My D400ES replaced a Benchmark DAC3L and is connected to Nilai500 monoblocks, which are driving a pair of Dunlavy SC-IV/A speakers. The monoblocks are set to mid gain, 21.8 dB.

I've been using PCM Filter OFF, and normally have the volume set to around -25dB. If I use Linear Fast, the volume drops considerably, and I end up at about -20dB to compensate. I'm pretty sure I could pass a blindfold test during which I would choose OFF as producing a more convincingly live, dynamic sound. And, if not, then I can't distinguish between the two settings. Given this, what am I to make of Amir's rather emphatic assertion that OFF degrades the sound? Either he's wrong or he's measuring distinctions I can't hear. The discussion thread seems to suggest he got this wrong, but I can't find a response from Amir on his methodology.

Also, am I configured correctly to have the amps set to mid gain and thus the DACs volume quite low? Does it matter?

Between this DAC and the Benchmark it replaced, I couldn't be happier with the result. And, frankly, I was rooting for the Benchmark, because it's American-made.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Amir says in the review, Off is not actually off and there is still an analog filter to clear out the higher frequencies. Problem with the "off" filter is that it eats out quite a large chunk between 10K and 20K. So it does degrade the sound, but that does not mean you will not like it. If your speakers are too bright for example, this setting might sound better.

You can also see its level is ca 4.5dB higher than linear fast, so that might be why you need to compensate additional 5dB when using liner fast.

Volume is a big a influencer of sound quality, if you are doing AB without level matching, it is natural you will prefer the louder one.

For the DAC level, I would set it to -3dB and leave it there and adjust volume from amp gain and volume knob.

1703483622589.png

Attachments

• 1703483328496.png
    1703483328496.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom