• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali subwoofer gain knob too sensitive?

japesinjapan

Greetings, fellow nerds.

So I bit the bullet and bought the ls50 meta (very original of me, I know), and grabbed a Marantz 40n on sale as well to power them. Joyous. Surprising no one, the ls50 need a sub to really get going, so, I run downstairs and steal the Dali Sube 9-f from my home theatre. I was meaning to do new room correction anyways, so I figure messing with it is the perfect excuse to do so upon returning it downstairs.

Alas, after hooking it up from the Marantz sub out into the LFE in, I cannot get the gain setting even close to right. I'm 37, in control of all my faculties, and with the finest, most careful touch I can only make the sub go from earth shatter to off. But more honestly, +/- 5+10db changes. Practically off or WAY TOO MUCH.

With the home theatre, I noticed it was sensitive, but the window you need to hit before audyssy measurements is +/- 5db I think, and I was able to hit that before the AVR dialed it in further.
But for the moment, I have no idea how to get this working with the LS50 until my wife forgives me enough to let me buy the KC62. Halp.

For reference, the full chain is: PC into iFi DAC, line out to 40n, subwoofer out into LFE in on sub.

Cheers.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have almost the same problem with KF92 (two, both are the same) so you might not fix your by going KEF sub.

I have it at 11 o'clock and the SPL is in the upper quarter of what Audyssey recommends in sub calibration, go 12 o'clock and it overshoots quite a bit. Dialing it in by hand would be impossible.

But it would be nice to know why this is, doesn't make sense.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

I have almost the same problem with KF92 (two, both are the same) so you might not fix your by going KEF sub.

I have it at 11 o'clock and the SPL is in the upper quarter of what Audyssey recommends in sub calibration, go 12 o'clock and it overshoots quite a bit. Dialing it in by hand would be impossible.

But it would be nice to know why this is, doesn't make sense.
Sorry to hear that. It is frustrating.

For me, it isn't the difference between 11 and 12 o'clock, it is the difference between minutes or less. I wonder if i should just get a dirac solution and go from there....

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that. It is frustrating.

For me, it isn't the difference between 11 and 12 o'clock, it is the difference between minutes or less. I wonder if i should just get a dirac solution and go from there....
It isn't a actual problem because of Audyssey, just wondering why they designed it that way.

Get Dirac and you are done with the problem. To be honest, you probably have much bigger issues anyways without room correction like 10+dB peaks in lower frequencies.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

It isn't a actual problem because of Audyssey, just wondering why they designed it that way.

Get Dirac and you are done with the problem. To be honest, you probably have much bigger issues anyways without room correction like 10+dB peaks in lower frequencies.
Ya, I'm looking at a minidsp but I havn't checked them out nearly enough to make an informed purchase yet. Will take some time.
I ran some sine sweeps, the only big peak i heard was around 150, i'm playing with the EQ now to drive it down if I can. I'm not really great with EQ though, put it on the list of things to learn more about.

Top Bottom