• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LGTV to DAC to KRKs

Sideshow

Hi,

I was surfing looking for a solution to my problem and came across this site. First post.

I currently have an LG 65SM9010PLA (https://www.manuals.co.uk/lg/65sm9010pla/manual?p=1) and I use HDMI eArc to Apple TV 4K and two HomePods. Never really had a problem with audio quality until I recently got out my KRKs and noticed the difference whilst playing music from PC (via TV) and KRKs (via a mixer - I was recording a DJ mix into Ableton) simultaneously. I want to hook them up to the TV, so I then started finding out the TV does not have RCA output (it seemingly has headphone output too according to the manual) but has digital audio output and therefore I need a DAC. The KRKs are powered and have a single RCA(unbalanced)/XLR/1/4 Jack inputs.

Previously I’ve had the KRKs hooked up to PC with external sound card, but then I’m only getting PC output not the range of devices currently plugged into the TV.

Here’s what I want to do:
Have the TV output to the KRKs using XLR or the 1/4 Jack.
Be able to use the TV remote (LG magic) to control volume (is this possible with this TV?)

What DAC do I need?

Thanks in advance!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an LG TV - if you use the optical audio out, you won't be able to control the volume with the TV remote. However I can confirm it works well with at least a Topping DX5 lite. I think most DACs should be OK but the LGs are known to have a lot of jitter on the optical out, which causes problems for some DACs.

If you use the headphone out, you can control the volume with the remote.

To control the volume with the TV remote and still have digital audio, you need to use the HDMI ARC, which most DACs do not accept.

OP
S

Sideshow

I would rather not have digital audio. So, hypothetically I just need to find a 3.5mm Jack to 1/4 L/R and I’m good!

Top Bottom