• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC + Amp suggestion for HD800s, LCD-2F?

melindro

Hi all, I’d like to ask for advice on a decent DAC + Amp setup for a new hifi station I am planning on building that is somewhat future proof for the cans I am looking to buy down the line.

TL;DR: I have 1000EUR to spend on a DAC and AMP (if combo, it needs preamp out like maybe the RME ADI-2) to drive HD650, HD800S and Audeze LCD-2.

Here’s my current gear:
  • On my desk I have a Musical Fidelity V-DAC connected to my Macbook via USB
  • The DAC is connected to a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear

Then on my living room I have:
  • Musical Fidelity MX-DAC
  • A Raspberry Pi with an Allo HAT connected to the DAC via Coaxial cable
  • My TV toslink out connected to the DAC too if I want to watch something on the telly
  • The DAC is connected to a Schiit Valhalla 2

I use Roon as a music server.

My current cans are the good old Sennheiser HD650

I am quite pleased with both set ups, and both amps are driving my HD650 wonderfully.

Now here’s the thing, I am planning on building a third “hifi station” for headphones where I have my speakers, and also planning on demoing the Audeze LCD-2F and the Sennheiser HD800S when shops reopen here (Czech Republic). Depending on how much of an upgrade/difference I feel with both of these headphones are I’m gonna go for them.

Which brings me to the main point: I’m quite confident the Lehmann Audio will drive anything you throw at it quite nicely, but I suspect that’s not gonna be the case for the Audezes and the Valhalla 2. So I am looking at what amp to buy that can drive nicely the HD650s, the HD800S and also the Audeze planars (most likely the LCD-2F). Also looking for a DAC since I will need to connect multiple sources to it (USB, Coax and Optical). Budget for the whole thing ideally under 1000EUR. I think I could do with a relatively cheap DAC as long as it measures well and has the right inputs (maybe even the L30 would do), however I am undecided on the amp. I think a second Lehmann Audio would be a safe bet but that’s almost 1000EUR already, I was then thinking of the Topping A90, which i can get for 500EUR, but that might be an overkill? (especially if I don't plan on using a balanced setup).

Thanks!

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recommend the RME ADI-2. It will meet your requirements and should be able to drive nearly every headphone. And it offers PEQ, which could be necessary from time to time...

Zensō

Major Contributor
I recommend the RME ADI-2. It will meet your requirements and should be able to drive nearly every headphone. And it offers PEQ, which could be necessary from time to time...
Agreed. It also has a surprisingly useful “loudness” function, and crossfeed which can improve the listening experience with headphones on some material.

OP
M

melindro

Thanks for your replies. There seems to be consensus. I wonder if getting something like the SMSL SU-8 and a monoprice thx aaa-887 might be a better option? Separates give me some more flexibility and I don't need the RME PEQ and other features. I'd save a bit and looking at measurements in here I think I would not be able to tell the difference.

Maes Hughes

If you don't need any of the special features of the RME ADI-2 DAC those separates would be a nice alternative. The Monoprice thx aaa-887 in particular is a stellar unit that would easily be a purchase once and your done type of item. I personally might still consider the RME for the support, extremely low processing latency, and digital volume control(for channel matching). (The headphones mentioned do benefit greatly from eq, can be adequately compensated with the number of bands available on the RME and having it onboard is very nice for using it with multiple sources.)

Top Bottom