• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cyrus PSX

aaddas

Hi
Is it possiable to conect CYRUS PSX as power supply to Purifi or Ncx500 amp?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230919_133330_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230919_133330_Chrome.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 50

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It puts out +-40V, and the Purifi 1et400 runs off +-25 to +-60v, so yes in principle you can. But it will be very underpowered, and frankly the PSX specs are pretty rubbish compared with a modern switching supply. But it will work and make perfectly good music.

Zoomer

I have a PSX-R lying around and a unused TPA3255 amp, OP's question triggers me to try to pair them.
The PSX-R has a 5-pin power connector, but I suspect it's a regular DIN 4-pin power connector like the PSX with an extra sensing pin.

Would this work with something like this 4-Pin XLR Male to Barrel Power Cable?
Bescor 4-Pin XLR Male to Barrel Power Cable for Panasonic AG-CX350

A 4-pin DIN plug to barrel adapter?

Paul E

Interesting question. The PSX-R pinout seems to be described here (I have no idea if this is accurate!)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1430940/Cyrus-Cyrus-6.html?page=7
You would need to get a pinout diagram for your lead, but your first problem would appear to be that the lead alone will is unlikely to generate the correct +5v on pin 5 to switch the PSX-R "on". And lead won't have a spare connection, or a suitable pin at the amp end.
Just my initial view, don't claim to be an expert....

Paul.

DSJR

Major Contributor
PSX-R is different to the previous PSX which was intended to boost the abilities if not the output of the power amp section of a Cyrus 2, which it did very well. All very early 90's though...

The PSX-R was intended as a nice little earner to 'upgrade' all components in the later Cyrus model range from sources to amplifiers and a full system stack was a neat stack of double-boxes in a dedicated rack/stacking arrangement.

1695197682421.jpeg

mcdn

Forum Donor
TPA3255 takes a single ended 48V power supply, so the balanced PSX would not be a good fit.

Zoomer

Not sure what you mean by single ended vs balanced in regards to a power supply, but I have very little technical understanding of this stuff.

Not a good fit as in suboptimal, or sparks and smoke?

Does this apply to the OP's combo PSX-Purifi as well?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you mean by single ended vs balanced in regards to a power supply, but I have very little technical understanding of this stuff.
He means that your TPA amp uses a single supply rail, while the PSX is a dual supply rails supply. Effectively you'll only use half of it if you connect it to the TPA
It may just work, but you'll have only half the power
No, the Purifi uses a bipolar supply, as does the Ncx500. Note that the Ncx500 ideally needs +/- 85V, so the PSX is vastly undermentioned for that.

mcdn

Forum Donor

@voodooless gives some good detail but to be totally clear, DO NOT DO IT! It is possible someone very technically adept could use a PSX-R to drive a TPA3255 amp, but it‘s hazardous in the wrong hands and not a useful thing to do anyway.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hi
Is it possiable to conect CYRUS PSX as power supply to Purifi or Ncx500 amp?
Sell that PSX power supply to some audiophile who believes that you can only have linear power supplies to get good HiFi sound. Then you buy a new good and powerful switching supply for the "Purifi or Ncx500 amp".

Both buyer and seller will then be satisfied.:)

Last edited:

Zoomer

No Frankenamp :eek: then. Thanks for the explanations.

Top Bottom