• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing system with DMP-A6 (or A8 :) )

GaryY

Forum Donor
Hi all,
I'm new here and came across ASR just before pressing ordering H120. (I can't explain, but my god feeling was saying this might be hype.)
I'm looking for new amplifier as my 28 years old friend, Cyrus 3 amplifier starts being abnormal. It may be possible to repair, but I just would like to refresh my system.

My wish is easy access to music with only one remote controller or only with mobile phone. DMP-A6 as DAC/pre-amplifier will be sonic wise good enough for my ear, but trigger in A8 is quite fancy to me. Then I would need power amplifier.

Currently I have mission 751 speakers, but not sure I will keep it or replace with
- KFE R3 or R3 meta
- Revel m105 or m106, in my mind I prefer Revel after reading some opinion that R3 is rather brighter
- Wharfedale Linton was also one of candidate, but looks a little big to my room of 3.5mx4.5m

I'm reading lots of review for amplifier, but couldn't figure out which amplifier would be good enough in case I replace speakers. I don't want to overshoot for amplifier, but also would like to have some head room. I was considering LA90D, but don't want to have uncertainty of quality issue anymore and am now in favor of purify or hypex amplifier which has trigger.

Nevertheless, it is lucky to me to find this site thanks for all the reviews. It is helping me a lot.

I wish you a great weekend.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would look at one of the manufacturers who utilise the hypex/purifi Ncore amps, March Audio, Boxem Audiophonics, I have used them for years here and they have been reliable, super quiet and transparent.
Keith

BossBunos

Welcome to ASR! I totally agree with @Purité Audio for the amplifier. The purifi 1et400 module should have plenty of power for any bookshelf speaker.
For the speaker it depends if you want to implement some form of room correction like a minidsp. The R3 meta and the revels have a good response out of the box. The regular R3 is indeed a bit off compared to a neutral response. But the directivity is great. So if you have some form of dsp in your system you can make it sound the same as the r3 meta.

Personally I prefer the wider radiation pattern of the revels, usually displaying a wider soundstage. The KEF's should be a little bit more focussed but narrower.

You can't go wrong with either one IMO.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I would look at one of the manufacturers who utilise the hypex/purifi Ncore amps, March Audio, Boxem Audiophonics, I have used them for years here and they have been reliable, super quiet and transparent.
Keith
Thank you so much. I found Boxem design looks great, but it doesn't have trigger. Most likely I would choose March audio or Audiophonics. Thanks!

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR! I totally agree with @Purité Audio for the amplifier. The purifi 1et400 module should have plenty of power for any bookshelf speaker.
For the speaker it depends if you want to implement some form of room correction like a minidsp. The R3 meta and the revels have a good response out of the box. The regular R3 is indeed a bit off compared to a neutral response. But the directivity is great. So if you have some form of dsp in your system you can make it sound the same as the r3 meta.

Personally I prefer the wider radiation pattern of the revels, usually displaying a wider soundstage. The KEF's should be a little bit more focussed but narrower.

You can't go wrong with either one IMO.
Thank you for your kind advice. I was looking at HPA-S400ET, but was concerned if it's unnecessarily overshoot for me. March audio P422 looks also great now with a little bit higher price.
Btw, I like listening Pat Metheny, Sting, Sade, Gary moore, Diana Krall and pink floyd and so on. What would be better choice betweeen m106 or 105?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you so much. I found Boxem design looks great, but it doesn't have trigger. Most likely I would choose March audio or Audiophonics. Thanks!
Besides Boxem, March, and Audiophonics, there's also Nord Acoustics, Buckeye Amps, and VTV Amplifier that you could take a look at.

Btw, I like listening Pat Metheny, Sting, Sade, Gary moore, Diana Krall and pink floyd and so on.
Luckily, modern Amps like those from Hypex and Purifi don't care about what kind of music you play on them. They just amplify whatever you put in.

What would be better choice betweeen m106 or 105?
There's a whole thread about that topic:

BossBunos

The boxem has auto-on if I'm not mistaken. It detects the audio signal and turns on automatically, no trigger required.
The hpa-s400et and the March are basically the same amp. They are using the same module and sound the same. As for the speakers. I think the only difference is that the 106 uses a larger midwoofer so I think it can reach higher spl. Tonality should be almost the same

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Besides Boxem, March, and Audiophonics, there's also Nord Acoustics, Buckeye Amps, and VTV Amplifier that you could take a look at.

Luckily, modern Amps like those from Hypex and Purifi don't care about what kind of music you play on them. They just amplify whatever you put in.

There's a whole thread about that topic:
Thank your for great advice. I'm feeling the amplifiers with same module from different company have most likely inaudible difference and I can choose one of them considering price and design. Is this correct? And thanks for the link of m106 vs m105 thread!

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
The boxem has auto-on if I'm not mistaken. It detects the audio signal and turns on automatically, no trigger required.
The hpa-s400et and the March are basically the same amp. They are using the same module and sound the same. As for the speakers. I think the only difference is that the 106 uses a larger midwoofer so I think it can reach higher spl. Tonality should be almost the same
Ah..I see. I will ask to Boxem before ordering then. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm feeling the amplifiers with same module from different company have most likely inaudible difference and I can choose one of them considering price and design. Is this correct?
Yes.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I checked the all the proposed amplifier including the locations of companies. I am in Germany, thus I would choose between Audiophonics and Boxem. Thanks!

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I think you'll have a very nice system with those chosen components. :)
Thank you and i hope so :). At this moment, it's not easy to choose between A6 and A8. I like more features in A8, but the word of "more musicality" is a little scaring. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Musicality’ has no meaning whatsoever it is just another commonly used subjective idiom , when I see it used I know that I can completely dismiss the writer as an idiot, charlatan or both.
Keith

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
‘Musicality’ has no meaning whatsoever it is just another commonly used subjective idiom , when I see it used I know that I can completely dismiss the writer as an idiot, charlatan or both.
Keith
:). I like ASR very much. Long ling time ago, i had quite interest on audio gears, but after looking white noise of tube or tickling dust on vynil translated as musicality, i just disconnected myself from hifi world. As i don't have good ear at all, was not willing to discuss further with people who argued that copper cable could have directivity. Thanks for advice. Still difficult to know the usefulness of EQ or DSP in A8. I don't have experience at all.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Finally I just completed all the orders I need.:) Thank you so much for all the advices from you!
Boxem Arthur 4512/E2
Eversolo DMP-A8
Revel F226Be

BossBunos

Congratulations, quite the upgrade on the speaker part!
And a transparent dac&amp, now enjoy the music :)

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Congratulations, quite the upgrade on the speaker part!
And a transparent dac&amp, now enjoy the music :)
Thank you!. Revel speakers were really difficult to find here and I was about thinking to import F206 from UK. But I got very good offer for 226. My very 1st idea was just replacing integrated amplifier with Audiolab 7000a, and it ends up with 5 times more budget...:)...but I'm happy because I can use these for next 25 years again.

Top Bottom