• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cute new schiit speaker amps

foreigner4

Photos are old. 2 months after the purchase of Vidar 2, with warming up, the bass increased significantly and the equalizer was simply turned off from the path with a toggle switch. There is enough bass even at low volume levels. And I don’t use a REL subwoofer with heating either.
Yesterday I ordered a full-fledged Schiit Saga S preamplifier, using SYS with Vidar 2 and sensitive speakers is inconvenient, a very small adjustment range between "too quiet" and "too loud", do not repeat my mistakes, immediately buy Saga if you are not going to assemble a symmetrical system , which is superfluous, IMHO. Vidar 2 is very powerful and works at 4 ohms. And for new low-power amplifiers, SYS will do well.
Sorry, my English is not native.

Last edited:

foreigner4

Someone here wrote that with Rekkr there is no noise in the speakers, but with Gjallarhorn there is - this is because the second one has a third ground contact in the power cable.
A similar ground loop problem was encountered using with PC active monitors by Behringer. Disabling the third ground pin on the power plugs helped.
All the best!

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone here wrote that with Rekkr there is no noise in the speakers, but with Gjallarhorn there is - this is because the second one has a third ground contact in the power cable.
A similar ground loop problem was encountered using with PC active monitors by Behringer. Disabling the third ground pin on the power plugs helped.
All the best!
Public service announcement

Do not cheat the mains ground by disconnecting the ground pin. It is there for safety.
If you really really really cannot resist the temptation to do it, at least use an outlet with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protection, or an extension cord with GFCI protection.

gfci_power_extension.png

D

Deleted member 48726

Public service announcement

Do not cheat the mains ground by disconnecting the ground pin. It is there for safety.
If you really really really cannot resist the temptation to do it, at least use an outlet with GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protection, or an extension cord with GFCI protection.

View attachment 277710
True. Don't do it.
Only double isolated devices don't need a ground plug. Other devices can potentially shock you without triggering your installations' RCD breaker if internal faults should occur.

D

Deleted member 48726

When I used them, I set them up once, turned them on and off with the plastic keys of the switches on top.
Until you accidently touch the metal. Don't be careless about electrical installations.
Could also be your dog, cat, kid, pet snake that gets shocked.
They don't know not to touch the metal because you have been careless.

foreigner4

Пока вы случайно не коснетесь металла.
This will only happen if a malfunction occurs. In the normal state, you can touch.
My Denon PMA-1500RII initially has only two pins in the connector and cable from the factory. It has a metal body. When you touch the front wall in one of the positions of the plug, tension is felt, but nothing happens.
Here, either turn off and listen without noise, or listen with noise, or buy cheap active speakers without grounding.
It is very difficult to get rid of the high-frequency noise of a computer.

D

Deleted member 48726

This will only happen if a malfunction occurs. In the normal state, you can touch.
My Denon PMA-1500RII initially has only two pins in the connector and cable from the factory. It has a metal body. When you touch the front wall in one of the positions of the plug, tension is felt, but nothing happens.
Here, either turn off and listen without noise, or listen with noise, or buy cheap active speakers without grounding.
It is very difficult to get rid of the high-frequency noise of a computer.
We are, in fact, talking about the scenario when a fault occurs. This is when grounding is necessary. -Dont take risks with electrical installations!

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I turn on through such a cable, then
1. there will be no noise?
2. Will the security conditions be met?
It is also necessary that it not be knocked out at the starting current of the amplifier, when the capacitors of the power supply are being charged.
GFCI works by comparing the currents in the neutral and hot conductors in the AC line. If there is a significant difference between the two (usually a few mA in USA, more in Europe), that means there is a "leakage" somewhere in the circuit where a portion of the current finds its way back through a different path -- perhaps through a human body that is touching the device with one part of the body, and ground with another part. In that scenario, the GFCI breaker will trip, and prevents the person from being electrocuted.

The GFCI breaker does not affect anything in the electrical circuit unless it trips, so it will behave the same as a circuit without it when everything is normal.

In Europe, search for RCD (residual current device) or RCBO (residual-current circuit breaker with overcurrent protection). For example:

The one you show has a leakage current limit of 30 mA. That means the breaker will trip if there is a maximum leakage current of 30 mA. The current capacity of the adapter is 16 A.

rcd.png

Last edited:

foreigner4

The GFCI breaker does not affect anything in the electrical circuit unless it trips, so it will behave the same as a circuit without it when everything is normal.
And through it it will be possible to turn on the amplifier with the ground contact disconnected?
Hardly. It is probably used to measure the leakage current.

If it will work without a ground pin, then it will do. Power 3500W, operation leakage current 30mA.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And through it it will be possible to turn on the amplifier with the ground contact disconnected?
Hardly. It is probably used to measure the leakage current.
Yes. It will let the amplifier turn on. Only in abnormal (fault) situations will there be current flowing in the ground conductor.

Now, sometimes the ground is used by powerline filters typically found with switch mode power supplies (SMPS). But if you have already tried removing the ground and the device gave lower noise, this shouldn't be a concern.

foreigner4

Only in abnormal (fault) situations will there be current flowing in the ground conductor.
I bought two pieces, I hope the device will work without connecting the amplifier ground wire, otherwise it makes no sense.
I will connect with two wires Saga S and Vidar 2 through them. The PC is connected by three wires with grounding to a regular socket.
2023-04-07_220430.jpg на ixbt.photo:

Xibal

-->Dynamic range?

-->Headroom for transients?

-->What if you want to listen to other music than "girl & guitar" ?

-->Add in a DSP for good measure?

= You are running out of juice very fast.

But on topic, this gadget is marketed as a near-field desktop device. Don't expect it to do other than that and don't compare it to ordinary amplifiers and you're good. But let's not pretend that these single watts are useful on tower speakers in a medium sized room with good results.
So what about this?

Top Bottom