• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CSS Audio's new flagship speaker,the Typhon.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
It’s double 10” per side. 20 Hz in-room is definitely possible with that.
No, it's not. https://www.css-audio.com/typhon-bass

"While only measuring in at 7” each, they can provide the output of a traditional 10” woofer pair thanks to a Klippel optimized motor with a full copper sleeve, generous motor venting, and low loss suspension system. "

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it's not. https://www.css-audio.com/typhon-bass

"While only measuring in at 7” each, they can provide the output of a traditional 10” woofer pair thanks to a Klippel optimized motor with a full copper sleeve, generous motor venting, and low loss suspension system. "
Ah good catch :)

Except that it's a lie:
Xmax 5.5MM
Most 10" subwoofers will have substantially more excursion. Something like Dayton RSS265HF (similar price) has 12 mm Xmax, and more than double the SD. Even the 7" RS-180 has more XMAX and therefore more output capability.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
CSS LDW7 - 7"

CSS LDW7 specs.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's low distortion let's you hear all the details in your music while its specifications give it deep bass in a modest cabinet with plenty of linear throw to pump out music even at higher volumes.

Except, they don't give distortion graphs. And with 5.5mm Xmax you won't get thundering low bass. Might be fine crossed to a sub, though. The price isn't too bad. I'd want to see a less smoothed response graph, too. And off-axis plots.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
7” woofer crossed at 2.4 kHz is probably not ideal directivity wise. The tweeter waveguide is also tiny.

This looks just like any pretend high-end speaker from the last 20 years. Nothing new.
Honestly, the tube amp shown in front of it scares me.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
7” woofer crossed at 2.4 kHz is probably not ideal directivity wise. The tweeter waveguide is also tiny.

This looks just like any pretend high-end speaker from the last 20 years. Nothing new.
Yeah, guys on Tech Talk cross dome tweeters at 1kHz with a decent waveguide, which would be a lot more appropriate here. This looks kind of tossed together.

maty

Major Contributor
CSS LD25X 25mm Silk Dome XBL2 Tweeter

Portapapeles01.png

maty

Major Contributor
Test Bench: The LD25X High-End Tweeter from Creative Sound Solutions

20201007223512_Figure9-CSS-LD25XTweeter.png

[ For the last SoundCheck test protocol, I set the 1m SPL to 94 dB (5.75 V) using a noise stimulus and builtin SLM, and measured the second- and third-harmonic distortion with the microphone placed 10 cm from the dome diaphragm (see Figure 9). Note that the distortion is dominated by second harmonic distortion (a good thing), and third-order harmonic distortion is extremely low. For more information, visit www.css-audio.com. VC
This article was originally published in Voice Coil, July 2020. ]

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Test Bench: The LD25X High-End Tweeter from Creative Sound Solutions

View attachment 276179

[ For the last SoundCheck test protocol, I set the 1m SPL to 94 dB (5.75 V) using a noise stimulus and builtin SLM, and measured the second- and third-harmonic distortion with the microphone placed 10 cm from the dome diaphragm (see Figure 9). Note that the distortion is dominated by second harmonic distortion (a good thing), and third-order harmonic distortion is extremely low. For more information, visit www.css-audio.com. VC
This article was originally published in Voice Coil, July 2020. ]
That really isn’t exceptionally good as far as tweeters go. The good ones do about .5%. The 2.4 kHz crossover point also seems a bit low for the tweeter, which I curious in on itself… it’s not. 19mm tweeter after all. It is devoid of resonances though, which is quite interesting. I’d be more worried about the non smooth frequency response and directivity.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies for my ignorance but what is the appeal of the joint venture between CSS and this youtuber? Maybe I'm just unaware of his background but I'm trying to figure out why his name on a speaker would make the purchase more compelling.
Your guess is as good as mine…

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies for my ignorance but what is the appeal of the joint venture between CSS and this youtuber? Maybe I'm just unaware of his background but I'm trying to figure out why his name on a speaker would make the purchase more compelling.
CSS has been a bit of an "also-ran" in drivers, as you can see from the datasheets that keep getting posted. They're not bad, but a little overpriced for what they are. i guess CSS is trying to get some excitement going (?)

I'm afraid history will repeat, and Typhon will once again not succeed in overthrowing the gods :D

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this mean Jay's love of GR is over? Or can we expect his branding to show up on a GR speaker too?

Have to agree on CSS promo play here as also sends a questionable message that they cannot voice their own speaker. Could Danny's ego allow a comparable voicing of a GR speaker?

As mentioned, the Typhon is hardly ground-breaking. There is the clear borrow from Wilson. For those who thought the 10" CSS woofer (in a bass module) is a better idea, so did Jeff Bagby...

Check this out: https://meniscusaudio.com/product/continnum-woofer-module-full-kit-pair/

Last edited:
OP
J

JAJDACT

Does this mean Jay's love of GR is over? Or can we expect his branding to show up on a GR speaker too?

Have to agree on CSS promo play here but also sends a questionable message that they cannot voice their own speaker. Could Danny's ego allow a comparable voicing of a GR speaker?

As mentioned, the Typhon is hardly ground-breaking. There is the clear borrow from Wilson. For those who thought the 10" CSS woofer is a better idea, so did Jeff Bagby...

Check this out: https://meniscusaudio.com/product/continnum-woofer-module-full-kit-pair/
It's definitely an odd choice to let a YouTube personality design your own company's "flagship" speaker.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's definitely an odd choice to let a YouTube personality design your own company's "flagship" speaker.
Well, as we can see it even works for some even here in ASR...

Top Bottom