• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Although I'm about the farthest thing from a CSN(&Y) fan... in reality I can hardly stand most of their songs... still I bought the 4 CD box set back in the early 90s when I heard this cover. Still have it, and I think I've listened to fewer than 6 tracks on the whole set... but I listen to this cover 3-4 times a year. Naturally I listen to the original more than that... but something about this performance is just so right:

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Although this violates one aspect of a great cover IMO (originality and arrangement) I still love this one - despite loving the original just as much. Nothing new here at all... simply Demon Hunter performing Prong's "Snap your fingers, snap your neck" almost exactly as Prong did.

And speaking of metal-on-metal action... I also really enjoy Pro-Pain's cover of Slayer's "South of Heaven":

OP
digicidal

digicidal

Major Contributor
Surprised this one hadn’t appeared yet. Must be one of the most famous cover versions ever
And a perfect example of the cover being infinitely better than the original (IMO only of course).

Less so the case with this, but still quite good... Red Hot Chili Peppers covering Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground":
And from a time when there was still a little bit of DR in their recordings... ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
This one fits the OP "Cover me I'm going in" requirement exactly.

In a nostalgic moment I looked at my small singles/EP collection and saw this:

Call Up The Groups, a 1964 parody cover of British hit bands - a response to "the army would fix those long-haired layabouts" attitude of the UK older generation.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This Mortal Coil was not a band, but a unique collaboration of musicians recording in various permutations, the brainchild of 4AD kingpin Ivo Watts-Russell. The idea was to allow artists the creative freedom to record material outside of the realm of what was expected of them; it also created the opportunity for innovative cover versions of songs personal to Ivo.
From https://4ad.com/artists/thismortalcoil

I love the 3 albums they made, this is a selection from them.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Some of my favourites. Really fan of metal band covers of non-metal stuff; really recommend the ones from "Flotsam and Jetsam" and "Racer X".

Flotsam and Jetsam - (1988) No Place for Disgrace - 05. Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting [Elton John cover]
Edge of Sanity - (1994) Until Eternity Ends - 04. Invisible Sun [The Police cover]
Coroner - (1991) Mental Vortex - 08. I Want You (She's So Heavy) [The Beatles cover]
Coroner - (1988) Punishment for Decadence - 10. Purple Haze [The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover]
Deep Purple - (1968) The Book of Taliesyn - 04. Exposition - We Can Work It Out [The Beatles cover]
Deep Purple - (1968) The Book of Taliesyn - 07. River Deep, Mountain High [Ike & Tina Turner cover]
Deep Purple - (1968) The Book of Taliesyn - 03. Kentucky Woman [Neil Diamond cover]
Mütiilation - (2001) Destroy Your Life for Satan - 05. Possessed [Venom cover]
Racer X - (1987) Second Heat - 08. Moonage Daydream [David Bowie cover]
Racer X - (1999) Technical Difficulties - 14. Children of the Grave [Black Sabbath cover]
Rainbow - (1975) Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow - 03. Black Sheep of the Family [Quatermass cover]
Voivod - (1989) Nothingface - 03. Astronomy Domine [Pink Floyd cover]
Exhorder - (1992) The Law - 05. Into the Void [Black Sabbath cover]
Anthrax - (1988) State of Euphoria - 04. Antisocial [Trust cover]
Church of Misery - (2009) Houses of the Unholy - 05. Master Heartache [Sir Lord Baltimore cover]
Varathron - (1999) The Lament of Gods - 05. Nuns Have No Fun [Mercyful Fate cover]
Necromantia - (1997) Ancient Pride - 04. Each Dawn I Die [Manowar cover]
Type O Negative - (1996) October Rust - 11. Cinnamon Girl [Neil Young cover]
Type O Negative - (1993) Bloody Kisses - 06. Summer Breeze [Seals and Crofts cover]
Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force - (2000) War to End All Wars - 14. Black Sheep of the Family [Quatermass cover]
Melvins - (1989) Ozma - 10. Love Thing [KISS cover]
Melvins - (1989) Ozma - 17. Candy-O [Cars cover]
Melvins - (1993) Houdini - 04. Goin' Blind [KISS cover]
Entombed / Carcass / Cathedral / Confessor - (1992) Gods of Grind - 11. Confessor - Last Judgement [Trouble cover]
Entombed / Carcass / Cathedral / Confessor - (1992) Gods of Grind - 14. Confessor - Endtime [Trouble cover]

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Great album cover.

1570228474482.png

Oh, cover. I get it.

Top Bottom