• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect an additional 2nd DAC

Dr.Ames

Hello everyone,

As the owner of a Project S2 Digital DAC, I have installed the ASIO driver 5.68.0 from Project under Windows 11. Now I would like to connect the SMSL DO300EX I ordered too. The XMOS_USBAudio_v5.68.0 driver is offered on the manufacturer's website. Somehow it seems to be the same product. Does anyone know whether I really need to install this additionally and if so, is there anything I need to bear in mind?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It's not "the same product", they're probably just getting their respective customized USB drivers from the same company (Thesycon would be my guess, very common choice). As they're generally tied to USB vendor / device IDs I doubt the drivers can be used interchangeably, but you may not absolutely need them anyway if the USB audio implementation is class compliant (they are generally required for ASIO output or I assume for other goodies like DSD).

OP
Dr.Ames

Dr.Ames

Many thanks to both of you - hopefully the Amazon courier will deliver the whole thing tomorrow. :)

Best regards from Germany

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep Topping, SMSL, and sometimes Gustard drivers on the same system all the time. The only clashes I've had is with multiple control panels running. If you go to Windows startup programs and uncheck the control panels, won't have any problems installing more than one USB driver.

OP
Dr.Ames

Dr.Ames

I keep Topping, SMSL, and sometimes Gustard drivers on the same system all the time. The only clashes I've had is with multiple control panels running. If you go to Windows startup programs and uncheck the control panels, won't have any problems installing more than one USB driver.
Ok. - Thanks.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you have 2 different DACs hooked up to the same source it's worth mentioning that if you want to play the same audio through two different DACs at the same time (say on 4 speakers, or using them as an active crossover, etc.) you need to watch out for clock drift. This is something I learned since joining here, but clocks on two DACs (even the same model) can get out of phase pretty badly over the course of just a few minutes, to the point that they would cause audible problems.

This is not an issue if you only use one of the DACs at a time.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
I most of all wonder where this is about.
I have installed the ASIO driver 5.68.0
Is it ASIO or is it UAC2 or both?

XMOS_USBAudio_v5.68.0
This is indeed UAC2.
In the past you needed a UAC2 driver to play > 24/96 as Microsoft simply didn't support UAC2 up to 2017.
There are reasons why you might want to install a third party driver: https://www.xmos.com/software/usb-audio/driver-support/

Personally I would prefer not to use them and simply use WASAPI for "bitperfect" audio. If you are in a situation you can't do without a TP driver, you can always install it afterwards.
BTW: Rumours are that the Microsoft supplied UAC2 driver is simply bought from TheSycon. If this is true you are simply installing something you have already.

OP
Dr.Ames

Dr.Ames

I would only use the DACs individually. The headphone amplifier in my old Project DAC in particular is a bit weak, hence the SMSL. The sound via RCA on my hi-fi system is actually very good. Since I purchased many albums of classical music in DSD, I need the ASIO driver via USB for playback in native DSD, which works very well with both foobar and JRIVER after some initial difficulties. I actually assume that the driver from the SMSL site should also be a regular USB driver. However, I will install it as soon as the package arrives safely.

OP
Dr.Ames

Dr.Ames

You all were right - I had to install the SMSL driver additionally and everything seems to work. But one thing irritates me. Although the DO300EX plays my DSD 512 files correctly, it only displays 11.2896 MHz sampling rate, which is only DSD 256. My project correctly displays DSD 512. Both playbacks are native DSV playback via Foobar. Does anyone have any idea why the display is incorrect?

I have just discovered that this incorrect sampling rate is also displayed for DSD 64. DSD 256 is always displayed, even in the driver. Here the DAC play DSD 64 Files.

Attachments

• 2024-05-04 21_10_50-XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel.jpg
    2024-05-04 21_10_50-XMOS USB DAC Driver Control Panel.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Top Bottom