• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are more expensive DACs, e.g. from S.M.S.L., equipped with higher quality, more durable components?

Dr.Ames

Hello everyone, as a new owner of an SMSL DO300EX, I am “tormented” by the question of whether I would have been better off buying an SMSL D400EX if the service life and freedom from interference of such a device is important to me. Of course, the expensive DAC contains twice the converter chip, but if it's really only about longevity, are there any differences to be expected in your experience?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My SMSL SU-9N died after a year and is now back in China for "surgery", so I would not bet on SMSL...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone, as a new owner of an SMSL DO300EX, I am “tormented” by the question of whether I would have been better off buying an SMSL D400EX if the service life and freedom from interference of such a device is important to me. Of course, the expensive DAC contains twice the converter chip, but if it's really only about longevity, are there any differences to be expected in your experience?
Myself I bought a dead simple DAC. It has auto power ON and a soft powder blue LED ring to indicate it is powered ON. It costs about $109.00 from Schiit and has a 2 year parts and labor warranty. The sound quality difference between it and a expensive DAC is minimal @ best. If you have the money to afford a expensive DAC that is sooper but any decent DAC is good enough.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You surely get better measured performance, which most probably does not give you any difference compared to reasonably priced DAC.
However, you may get better components and more features with pricier DACs.
Does it matter to you - this is the question!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy about $6k a month in audio equipment. The failure rate of all stuff is around 1 percent and out of all the SMSL and Topping stuff I've bought over the years, there's no one that stands out. Some models like the Drop THX789 are known to fail frequently, but haven't seen any brand that's worse overall.
If you want electronics to last, keep them cool and use a sine wave battery backup if power is bad in your area, like frequent brownouts. Warm to the touch isn't a problem, but some like the SMSL H300 or Gustard X26Pro I've singed my fingers on picking them up after running them a while. The one you have should never have a problem with heat though.

oleg87

Generally speaking, durability has little to do with "quality of components" and more to do with the quality of the design and manufacturing processes.

OP
Dr.Ames

Dr.Ames

Many thanks to all of you for your answers. I am indeed very happy with the sound of my current S.M.S.L DO300Ex, but as this is my first DAC from the Far East, I was a bit worried about the durability. :)

Mtbf

Generally speaking, durability has little to do with "quality of components" and more to do with the quality of the design and manufacturing processes.
All three of them. Cheap Chinese caps fail prematurely, so you are basically buying electronic waste.

radix

Major Contributor
You should shop features, not try to over-optimize the small, invisible stuff. Competent DACs will pretty much sound the same, so spend money on something that actually makes an audible difference.

rcstevensonaz

Moore's law is still alive and kicking. Whatever is on the market in 2 years, 4 years, 8 years from now will have increasing quality and capabilities compared to what your purchased today.

The issue of electronic waste, per @Mtbf, is real concern. But beyond that, paying more to "future proof" beyond 2 or 3 years is a losing game since you will have much better equipment available then (at the same price point curve of today). So as @radix alludes, buy for what you need now and not beyond.

Top Bottom