• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comply Memory Foam tips (review for my AirPods Pro headphones)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This isn't an objective review but since this video is not focused on SQ but more about fitment issues of the AirPods Pros, I thought I would share this little mini-review. I purchased these Comply memory foam tips for my AirPods Pro and it was $25 well spent.

If you have a pair of Apple AirPods Pros (or other IEM headphones) you may be interested in these. I have a horrible time getting any IEMs to stay in my ears. I purchased custom molds for my previous Etymotic headphones but wasn't about to spend another $200 for these AirPods. So, I ordered a set of Comply foam tips and they are freaking great at staying put. Check the headbang test @ 2:20.

Subjectively speaking, the sound quality seems to have improved a bit below 50Hz with some mild fall-off above 12kHz, but mostly the sound is unchanged and I do welcome the additional bass below 50Hz

Last edited:

audiophile

The only problem with Comply tips is that they fall apart in three months. I'm on a third pair now.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only problem with Comply tips is that they fall apart in three months. I'm on a third pair now.
I have been using memory foam tips and earplugs for decades and never had any fall apart.
Don't know if they are Comply brand though.
Before I had the Airpod Pro I was using the ones supplied with (in the box, not fitted) B&O in ears and before I got ear moulds I used the supplied ones with my Etymotic ER4S rather than the less effective (IME) standard ones.
Probably been using them dor 30 years or so and never had one come apart.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve been using comply foam tips for about 10 years and usually end up misplacing my extras because the first set last so long. I use them working out so they are getting jerked and banged all around too.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I personally can't comment on longevity but I've had a lot of friends comment on Facebook where I shared this video and they all have said good things about the comply tips they own.

I'm sure it comes down to use as well. I won't be using mine daily. But others might.

Aside from that, if they last a year then that's worth the price... $25 for 3 pair... or about $8/year to keep me from losing my sh*t when the OEM tips cause them to fall out repeatedly. Plus, I doubt the silicone tips last much longer than these foam tips would.

Senior NEET Engineer

They are very comfortable, but I don't like the way they sound. The high frequencies and tactile bass rumble are diminished. Tested with Sony IER-M9. The shorter stem for the Airpod version probably helps.

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
FWIW, I purchased a set of the comply tips in the S/M/L variety pack and had them shipped to Sean Olive to test. This is what he posted.
https://youtu.be/b4806zzf81Q

As you can see, finding the right seal is paramount. And there is some mild deviation in the two response profiles (assuming correct seating; in this case, the "Large" comply tips).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Which I suspect is why they ship with 3 or 4 pairs.

julian_hughes

Here's a longevity tip for foam tips:

don't wash them with hot water or soap or dish washing liquid! The heat seems to affect them and you'll never quite get detergent rinsed out of the foam.

A good cleaning method is to add some sodium bicarbonate to a small dish, then some distilled vinegar and some warm water. Drop your foam tips in this, let the tips absorb the liquid. Squish them up a bit. It really cuts through any and all that lovely stuff our ears leave behind! Now just rinse them well in warm or coolish water and put them somewhere warm and dry for a day. You now have lovely clean foam tips like new.

Booker

Forum Donor
I just purchased AirPods pro for summertime, to replace WH-1000XM3. And I am quite disappointed with the seal and ANC.
Will those foam tips improve the seal preventing outdoor noise since they are still out of the ear canal?

Top Bottom