• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers?

Borteese

Having a difficult time finding companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers. Would be even happier if the suggestions were sub-300, but at the moment don't really care. Thanks!

carbidetooth

Maybe Radian?

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Raven, or whatever they are called now had some longer units that could suffice. $$$$
The old SA stuff was really held highly by those with them.
ATC, not the studio monitor company, made some 2' long unit planars.
BG Neo8 or Neo10 or the GRS clones are options.
Finding some Monsoon units could work.
Beyma TPL150 can play fairly low.
ESS Heil are low reaching AMT tplanar.

OP, your query says 'ribbons', which can include the variety of AMT, planar, true-ribbon, leaf, etc. I will say that all of the above are within this group type using flat, or flat and folded membranes suspended between or inside a magnetic field. Have a large midrange reaching true-ribbon would be difficult and very expensive due to the onboard electrical transformer requirements. The largest true ribbon I know is the RAAL lazy ribbon, but I don't feel it dives deep enough to be called a midrange.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of BG Neo8 if you're interested

Draki

Newform Research:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I knew I was forgetting one...

There is another I don't know the name of, so another. They have golden looks.

JRT

Having a difficult time finding companies that produce midrange ribbon drivers. Would be even happier if the suggestions were sub-300, but at the moment don't really care. Thanks!

There was the Raven R3.0 (and its later siblings R3.1, etc.), a large ribbon mid-tweeter which could extend down into mid-triple digit frequencies, while also exhibiting high sensivity. Raven ribbon drivers used to be made by Orca Design & Manufacturing, and were sold by Andre Perrault (now deceased) at his e-Speakers website (now defunct). Those might be worth consideration if you can find some for sale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom