• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Column type PA

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m thinking about buying a column PA for parties/gatherings…does anyone have experience or recommendation? Am looking at the EV Evolve 50.

rationaltime

I have Electro-Voice ZLX-15BT for sound reinforcement.
Maybe you would be just as happy with one of those at
about one third the price. A sturdy speaker stand is
inexpensive. Anyway, that was my choice.

OP
RobL

RobL

I have Electro-Voice ZLX-15BT for sound reinforcement.
Maybe you would be just as happy with one of those at
about one third the price. A sturdy speaker stand is
inexpensive. Anyway, that was my choice.
Do you use a sub with them? Looks like they’re spec’d -3db @ 55hz. I think I’d need 2 x 12” tops to get the same coverage as a single column. I thought about 2 tops and a single sub but the column seems so simple to set up and store away, but pricey yes.

rationaltime

I do not use a sub-woofer. The EV speaker specs tend to have
two frequency response numbers, one at -3 Db and one at -10 Db.
I suspect most specs are set at -10 Db. Maybe compare those.
Anyway, in my opinion the ZLX-15 has plenty of bass response.

OP
RobL

RobL

I ended up ordering an Evolve 50m, got a great price from my dealer. Hopefully it’ll have enough output for me and I figured my son’s gf could use it for her gigs.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Congrats RobL,
I follow the prosoundweb, and have heard a lot of good comments about the Evolve50.
Seems it's one of the favs for wedding gigs, etc.
Sometimes best sound, is FUN sound, huh? !

OP
RobL

RobL

Congrats RobL,
I follow the prosoundweb, and have heard a lot of good comments about the Evolve50.
Seems it's one of the favs for wedding gigs, etc.
Sometimes best sound, is FUN sound, huh? !
You bet! :)
…fun and loudish lol

alanca3

I've been using the Bose L1 Model II for about seven years now. I've yet to receive a single complaint. In fact, most people love them. At each event I have at least one person walk up to the towers, stand there for a second, and then ask me how it works. The voicing (with the supplied EQ/Mixer) is very pleasing at high volumes. I've never had the same reaction with traditional stick mounted 2/3 way boxes (Meyer UPA, JBL STX, etc).

You can purchase PA speakers with objectively better performance, however, all that matters in this line is how the crowd reacts. For events under 300-500 people this category of speaker rocks.

If you're doing this for professional work, the form factor alone is worth it. if you want the loudest speaker you can get for parties, look elsewhere. You can find the actual measurements of the towers and bass components on their website if you're curious. The best way I can the sound is that it has the characteristics of a traditional "hifi" loudspeaker, but much louder. Most people expect the resonances and harsh sound of horn loaded mid-tier PA speakers.

Last edited:
OP
RobL

RobL

I wonder which plays louder? :)

IMG_0722.jpeg

OP
RobL

RobL

For a PA speaker this Evolve 50m is surprisingly fun to listen to, very clear and balanced sound (when playing >75dB@4m). It sets up in about 20 seconds and has a great app to control it. Really happy with it.

Top Bottom