• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Canton Reference 8K significantly better then Canton Vento 890 DC?

sergix

Hi, I have the option to exchange my Canton 890 DC column speaker for a Canton Reference 8K. I want to ask if this makes sense to you and you think I can help myself. The 8K references are from a higher range, so they should have a more accurate presentation, and at the same time these speakers are 10 cm lower, which suits me because of the projection screen.
On the other hand, I am afraid of lower performance - I would not like to make things worse (we have a living room connected to the dining room and kitchen, so although the listening area is approx. 4x4m with a listening distance of 3.5m, the overall floor plan is approx. 4.5x8m, the volume of the room is 180m3). I'm not afraid of a smaller bass, I have a set complete with SW.
I use 50:50 movies: music. Marantz Cinema 40 amplifier.

Thank you

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I have the option to exchange my Canton 890 DC column speaker for a Canton Reference 8K. I want to ask if this makes sense to you and you think I can help myself. The 8K references are from a higher range, so they should have a more accurate presentation, and at the same time these speakers are 10 cm lower, which suits me because of the projection screen.
On the other hand, I am afraid of lower performance - I would not like to make things worse (we have a living room connected to the dining room and kitchen, so although the listening area is approx. 4x4m with a listening distance of 3.5m, the overall floor plan is approx. 4.5x8m, the volume of the room is 180m3). I'm not afraid of a smaller bass, I have a set complete with SW.
I use 50:50 movies: music. Marantz Cinema 40 amplifier.

Thank you
As a person who had own 896 and 7K, I must say in real life the 7K is way better speaker in terms of accuracy in soundstage, smoothness and details. The references are very easy to listen. 8k works for smaller spaces the best. 89x is meant for a much larger room. 8k is better in terms of resolution. Wait, these opinions based on my real world experience with them. It doesn’t matter much as they measure similar.

I have a 20X20X11 ft listening room. My setup is a Ipad to Topping DG90SE as a DAC and Preamp, to a pair of ELAC Alchemy Class D monoblocks driving a Pair of 7Ks. The resolution is outstanding with plenty of bass output for my room. I even retired an SVS SB3000 I was using because of the superior bass from the 7Ks. Everything mentioned in the Stereophile article was validated to me. Great resolution and neutrality.

dogmamann

I have a 20X20X11 ft listening room. My setup is a Ipad to Topping DG90SE as a DAC and Preamp, to a pair of ELAC Alchemy Class D monoblocks driving a Pair of 7Ks. The resolution is outstanding with plenty of bass output for my room. I even retired an SVS SB3000 I was using because of the superior bass from the 7Ks. Everything mentioned in the Stereophile article was validated to me. Great resolution and neutrality.
On paper the 7k extends to 35hz if m not wrong at -3db. And SVS to 20 something hz. How can canton be superior then?

Don't assume anechoic/paper is the actual in room response you will see. Unless your room is huge, you will generally get more bass response in room due to room loading(pressurization) caused by the reflected bass waves.. This is why the Klippel data uses algorithms to project estimated in room response. There is almost always higher bass levels on these projections than on the raw spinorama data. As for the difference between 20 HZ and 30 HZ, as you move down the frequency range you will get less and less data(music). A kick drum is about 50 HZ, for example. At 30 HZ you are getting organ pedals. People have said below 500 HZ you're hearing the room, while above 500 HZ you're hearing the speaker. The 7k is not bass-attenuated at all, thus I 'retired' my sub. But then I don't care about home theatre as much as music.

dogmamann

Don't assume anechoic/paper is the actual in room response you will see. Unless your room is huge, you will generally get more bass response in room due to room loading(pressurization) caused by the reflected bass waves.. This is why the Klippel data uses algorithms to project estimated in room response. There is almost always higher bass levels on these projections than on the raw spinorama data. As for the difference between 20 HZ and 30 HZ, as you move down the frequency range you will get less and less data(music). A kick drum is about 50 HZ, for example. At 30 HZ you are getting organ pedals. People have said below 500 HZ you're hearing the room, while above 500 HZ you're hearing the speaker. The 7k is not bass-attenuated at all, thus I 'retired' my sub. But then I don't care about home theatre as much as music.
I know everything you just mentioned. I had the 7k and I was getting around 30hz but nothing less. But that was damn good for music. It was an excellent speaker in terms of soundstage imaging ans everything. I don’t know how they improved it in the new reference 7!

Top Bottom