• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classic Audio MC Pro Phonostage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 25.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 141 68.1%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no discussion, when you are avoiding answering to my questions (which will destroy your beliefs).
I'll answer for him, because he's right in what he's saying. You base your hardware buying decisions and system tweaking around trying to reproduce everything that's actually within the recording. You're not gonna suddenly start to invest in systems that cut off at 40Hz just because there's a few recordings that have actual real 30Hz content that some people find doesn't add to the recording (like ventilation noise at a live recorded venue for instance). Although I agree with you earlier that it seems this phono stage has it right with it starting to roll off from 30Hz, because that's the limitation of vinyl tech according to the experts here, so that's all good. Hi-fi is about recreating everything that's within the recording.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, they can, but there is an ideal where the total effective mass is matched to the cartridge suspension compliance.
Or when it is sufficiently distant from the excitation frequencies, which are different later and vertical. You can have a high vertical resonant frequency e.g. 20 Hz (main excitation fr 3-7 Hz) and low horizontal one e.g. 5 Hz (main excitation are 0.55-1.1 Hz).

JayGilb

Major Contributor

ReDFoX

Nonsense! Why should anyone want to reproduce the unwanted fan noise, when it can easily be filtered out during reproduction?
Have you ever considered that such thing can be actually benificial for some recordings? For example, it can create a sense of weight, bring fullness, etc. and it's a mixing engineer, who decides whether to cut or leave it

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Purpose of hi-fi audio is faithful reproduction of music (and vocals), not faithful reproduction of fan noise (and other unwanted noises) - which should not be in the recording, in the first place.
They could have used a filter on any number of Stevie Ray Vaughn recordings where his amp hum very audible, but they did not because it was part of his performance.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am an atheist.
Do you think this direction of posting is appropriate for a review thread? :)
I just checked and my image was from the MM PRO unit. It used 5532D in the section that I captured.
Oh ok, that explains it then, not the MC.

JSmith

Compact_D

Nonsense! Why should anyone want to reproduce the unwanted fan noise, when it can easily be filtered out during reproduction?
Probably, nonsense is attempting to filter unwanted noise during the playback not during mastering.
During the playback it only makes sense to filter what cannot be properly reproduced by specific equipment, and even then, as far as vinyl is concerned, most of the filtering should be and is done during mastering for that specific medium.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
They could have used a filter on any number of Stevie Ray Vaughn recordings where his amp hum very audible, but they did not because it was part of his performance.
I don't agree that the purpose of the filter is to eliminate unwanted sounds. I believe that is up to the sound engineer and artist (if so desired).
The filter is necessary because of the constraint of the record's groove, and it's ability to reproduce sounds from lowest to highest frequencies. The lower the frequency, the wider the groove needs to be, but doing so buries the higher frequencies in the noise floor.

The equalization filter's goal is to increase what is available. Doesn't matter what that is. Ambient noise or intended noise.
The filter's goal is to allow the low frequencies to be attenuated while the higher frequencies are increased, allowing the overall recording to be made at a higher level based on the mid-level frequencies. Bass get's increased and treble decreased. Everything fits in the groove.

Early 78's were limited because they were carved directly into lacquer.

There have been many standards before RIAA

Last edited:
Reactions: EJ3

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks, and measures excellently... expensive though.
Ooh ... there's a "Spartan" series too ... colour me interested. I'll keep an eye on these for upgrade / second system time :)

Headchef

“Notice the total absence of distortion as it should be. I don't have a ranking table to show you for SINAD but typical values are in 60 dB range so this is quite good.”

that’s the one from the Cambridge Audio Duo review

hope that helps.

IMG_4412.png

Reactions: VQR

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see how the Spartan series measures as well.

Compact_D

Are you asserting that mistakes and oversights are never made in mastering? Like not filtering fan noise?
I am asserting that something as simple as LP filter will most likely not be able to selectively filter out fan noise without affecting useful information that may be in that same frequency range.
If I find mastering mistakes that affect my listening, I will try to correct them using appropriate tools, not rely on some simple filtering.
I am also not sure why you are so focused on “fan noise” as if it was something with important significance in *all recordings. On the other hand, 16Hz tone in organ music is very real.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I’m confused, isn’t the Schiit Mani significantly better for 1/6th the price?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Do you think this direction of posting is appropriate for a review thread? :)

Oh ok, that explains it then, not the MC.

JSmith
As perfectly pointed out by @JSmith this is an Official Review Thread. Please keep your posts rooted in the product reviewed and/or the test bench results.

A dozen or more posts deleted and warnings issued with a perm thread Ban tossed in for good measure. If you can’t contain yourself we will be happy to give you a helping hand. Please do try to remain focused on the topic of this thread.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m confused, isn’t the Schiit Mani significantly better for 1/6th the price?

It is an apple to orange comparison. The Mani 2 was tested as an MM phone stage, while the MC Pro was tested as an MC phono stage. Note the differences in the inputs (5mV vs 0.5 mV) and gains (44 dB vs 68 dB).

Mani 2
index.php

MC Pro
index.php

RandomEar

“Notice the total absence of distortion as it should be. I don't have a ranking table to show you for SINAD but typical values are in 60 dB range so this is quite good.”

that’s the one from the Cambridge Audio Duo review

hope that helps.

View attachment 305758

Careful: That ranking is for MM stages or combo devices measured in MM mode (at 5 mV input). The stage under discussion in this thread is an MC stage tested at 0.5 mV input.

DSJR

Major Contributor
As far as groove SINAD (EDIT: should be SNR!) goes,
Hehe - With the amount of distortion and noise relative to the signal inevitable *in the grooves and mechanical part of the playback device,* I'd say 'sinad' is quite appropriate a term to use :D

As you were :cool:

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
It is an apple to orange comparison. The Mani 2 was tested as an MM phone stage, while the MC Pro was tested as an MC phono stage. Note the differences in the inputs (5mV vs 0.5 mV) and gains (44 dB vs 68 dB).

Mani 2
index.php

MC Pro
index.php
Thank you for clarifying, appreciate it.

Top Bottom