• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Huei Phono Preamp Review

D

Deleted member 31750

I have read every post.
Initially you didn't hear the Huei to be as bad as the review. This is your experience and subjective result. This is ok.

The review gave it bad rating is based on the fact: A it's much worse performing than all other preamp tested while being very expensive. B the noise is actually becoming audible unlike most other ones.

You then want to know whether groove and other mechanical noise is higher than the preamp noise or not. Usually it's much higher than the preamp noise but is actually comparable or lower than the preamp noise of Huei. This makes the question not able to be answered in one word.

Did I miss anything?
First I didn’t say is not as bad but I couldn’t figure out how to observe the results. Secondly I didn’t go on the groove noise. That was mentioned on the discussion and I just try to make sense of it. As you can see I just ask questions and analyze the replies since from my part I am ignorant

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you suggesting that noise from components are similar to visual representation of colors?

yes. the same way we are sensitive more to some colors among certain backgrounds, we are more sensitive to certain frequencies.

1620823612417.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

D

Deleted member 31750

Phono preamp of 44SNR will 100% deliver worse result than one with 90SNR. How much worse depends on the rest of the system, namely the mechanical noise. With the measurement above, I can say yes it's much worse.
Since you are 100% sure could you please explain how these worse results can be observed?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked the sound of my PS Audio GCPH until I played a 1kHz tone from a test record through it. When I clearly heard the harmonics at 2, 3, 4kHz and higher I knew it was creating sounds not contained in the recording. I sold it and bought a new phono preamp on which, when I play a 1kHz test tone, I only hear a 1kHz test tone.

Martin

D

Deleted member 31750

I liked the sound of my PS Audio GCPH until I played a 1kHz tone from a test record through it. When I clearly heard the harmonics at 2, 3, 4kHz and higher I knew it was creating sounds not contained in the recording. I sold it and bought a new phono preamp on which, when I play a 1kHz test tone, I only hear a 1kHz test tone.

Martin
What caused the problem with the PS audio?
PS: is not a question of “Like”, at least from my end

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What caused the problem with the PS audio?

The clues were here:

When I clearly heard the harmonics at 2, 3, 4kHz and higher

How high and what caused it one can only tell from measurements but it clearly points to harmonic distortion and who knows also IM distortion but you can't tell this when using a single tone.

D

Deleted member 31750

well you have to measure your setup and figure it out. grove noise is usually audible to many including me.
Surely there must be some measurements out here on dead wax groove noise. It’s going to be a very useful addition to the measurements that will give a valuable contrast to what SNR is and how it might or might not effect the overall noise. Anyone with measurements on groove noise?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely there must be some measurements out here on dead wax groove noise. It’s going to be a very useful addition to the measurements that will give a valuable contrast to what SNR is and how it might or might not effect the overall noise. Anyone with measurements on groove noise?

I measured it for you didn't I?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well yes, but then the result is that the logical conclusion that the noise from preamp is irrelevant as long as is below groove noise

yes, but unless you make your own measurments you can not make that conclusion for yourself. specially since chord is quite noisy.

D

Deleted member 31750

yes, but unless you make your own measurments you can not make that conclusion for yourself. specially since chord is quite noisy.
I don’t have measurements and don’t even know how to do it. What I can confirm is that without the needle touching the groove I have no noise coming from my speakers with the volume at 12 ocklock. When the need drops on the dead wax then I can hear the surface noise. From observation, which if I am not wrong is an essential part of science, we can indicate that any noise from the preamp is well below the noise introduced by the groove.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t have measurements and don’t even know how to do it. What I can confirm is that without the needle touching the groove I have no noise coming from my speakers with the volume at 12 ocklock. When the need drops on the dead wax then I can hear the surface noise. From observation, which if I am not wrong is an essential part of science, we can indicate that any noise from the preamp is well below the noise introduced by the groove.

if you don't hear the noise of the pre-amp before the needle hits then there is no need for further analysis.

it's 'good enough', it's up to you whether 'good enough' and the feature set of the product was worth the money you spent.

the whole purpose of this forum is consumer awareness.

D

Deleted member 31750

if you don't hear the noise of the pre-amp before the needle hits then there is no need for further analysis.

it's 'good enough', it's up to you whether 'good enough' and the feature set of the product was worth the money you spent.

the whole purpose of this forum is consumer awareness.
That’s interesting. In that case how can we say that a product should be recalled if the detrimental measurements can’t or are below the noise introduced by the chain? I guess I have some answers and food for thought. SNR measurements mean not much as isolated components and shall be evaluated in the context of the equipment’s purpose. I just keep reminding my self how little I really know. Thank you all for the exchanges and that’s the reason I joined the forum in the first place.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
SNR measurements mean not much as isolated components

When looking at the spectrum, taking input voltages/gain and playback levels into consideration S/N measurements mean something.
One should NEVER look at a single 'spec' in isolation but must understand the whole...

In this case S/N ratio is relatively poor compared to other measured pre-amps. Audibility levels depend on many factors.

D

Deleted member 31750

One should NEVER look at a single 'spec' in isolation but must understand the whole...
That’s also my understanding. Concluding, you can’t really easily publish bold conclusions on a piece of equipment based on few measurements that are questionable in the context of audio reproduction. Great indication though and always helpful. SNR is another measurement with value but limited Merit. At least that’s my take from all the excellent feedback you’ve provided

Top Bottom