• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chipset tpa3116 or Infineon ma12070

OP
godsmack50

godsmack50

There seems to be a bit of a clash of cultures here, between advice seekers (not just the OP here, this problem also pops up in other threads) and 'advice givers'. I don't remember seeing this in other online fora I've participated in (cars, motorcycles, watches), or at least not to this extent. Advice seekers want their very specific question answered, whereas advice givers (myself included) here seem all too eager to give 'holistic' advice, including telling the advice seeker what his/her real problems are... Just an observation.
I just fixed this problem of unpleasant frequency with the equalizer, maybe it is not the best solution but I have no other because of lack of space to move my speakers. Then at the origin of this thread it was not my request, my question was about two chipsets, to which I had good advice and I thank you !!!

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi, I would like to buy a small SMSL amp , the two models that interest me are the SMSL A50 with the tpa3116 chipset and the SMSL SA300 with the Infineon ma12070 chipset , I would like you to choose between these two amps the one that will be the warmest possible , with the most round bass possible !!! For you which one would correspond the best to my research between these two amps please ? Thanks
I only have experience with tpa 3116, 3118 and 3251 and 3255 in different amplifiers.
This gonna be very subjective:
All the tpa:s 3116 I have tried ( 4 different models ) are in my opinion musical in an euphonic way , 3251 and 3255 more neutral ( 3251 slightly better ) and maybe more boring to listen to. Tpa 3251 and 3255 are dead quiet, 3116 has some noise but I doubt one will be disturbed by it If listening one meter or more from the loudspeaker.

That said, this new dual tpa 3116 a50 from SMSL seems very interesting. Many people say that smsl300 is good sounding to.

Last edited:

Gruesome

Forum Donor
I only have experience with tpa 3116, 3118 and 3251 and 3255 in different amplifiers.
This gonna be very subjective:
All the tpa:s 3116 I have tried ( 4 different models ) are in my opinion musical in an euphonic way , 3251 and 3255 more neutral ( 3251 slightly better ) and maybe more boring to listen to. Tpa 3251 and 3255 are dead quiet, 3116 has some noise but I doubt one will be disturbed by it If listening one meter or more from the loudspeaker.

That said, this new dual tpa 3116 a50 from SMSL seems very interesting. Many people say that smsl300 is good sounding to.
Higher THD = more musical ? Incidentally I was just stumbling across this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...harmonic-vst-plugin.19063/page-7#post-1615869 , which seems to say something similar.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Top Bottom