• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap but non-degrading solution to add volume control between dac and amp.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got a Yamaha AVR as a 2.1 amp, set the AVRs volume level to "0db", use a Topping L30 as volume control, works great.

Brab

Other options include this (also uses XLR connections, which for me would be a minus):

and the Palmer Monicon
I had the Level Pilot. It is not transparent. I now use this. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000761808834.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.55404c4dMXB
It's the best attenuator I've had in my system but you need to put it in a box, and it's single-ended.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Other options include this (also uses XLR connections, which for me would be a minus):

and the Palmer Monicon
I've had good experience with the Pilot.

OP
D

doc2c

My solution is to use a software-based volume-controller (see below) which operates the volume in JRiver and/or directly in my DAC.
71cAWgW4mTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've noticed that when I use ASIO drivers for my dac, I lose the ability to control volume in Windows, which is expected....would this still work since it's a software solution?

OP
D

doc2c

It's fully passive and built like a tank. I think it's pretty transparent but haven't seen any measurements on it. It takes TRS in and out so you may need adapters or cables it you're working with xlr. Here's another one I use (I have a couple of edit suites): The Nano patch from JBL. It's not as nice or as flexible as the Mackie.

I really like the aesthetics of this one, plus my speakers are JBL too

BitPerfect_

I have a question somehow related.
How about a not so expensive digital volume solution, remote controlled between the source and the dac Optical or Coax in/ out, did anyone find and use it? There is no PC in this chain. Thanks,

I already have an amp with volume control but I’ve found that sometimes the analog volume doesn’t help because it will be loud at the very beginning of the course.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question somehow related.
How about a not so expensive digital volume solution, remote controlled between the source and the dac Optical or Coax in/ out, did anyone find and use it? There is no PC in this chain. Thanks,

I already have an amp with volume control but I’ve found that sometimes the analog volume doesn’t help because it will be loud at the very beginning of the course.
That will not be inexpensive - because it has to do DSP (albeit very simple DSP)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An alternative I have looked at can be found here. If I end up getting a Power amp, there is a strong chance I will build this into a box together with the input selctor as a basic "pre-amp" (Which does nothing but volume control and input selection)

Requires a certain amout of DIY capability though.
AliExpress link so you may need to change the language when you get there

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I've noticed that when I use ASIO drivers for my dac, I lose the ability to control volume in Windows, which is expected....would this still work since it's a software solution?
First, I've not used this particular one (yet), only the Droking.
Second, it will depend on the ASIO driver, of course. My experience is with the exaSound drivers for my exaSound DACs.

Bob Olhsson

I've had very mixed results using the very same expensive passive attenuators depending on the gear they were placed between. I think the ideal would be digital if it is properly dithered to eliminate truncation distortion. The only ways you can bypass Microsoft's built in DSP are ASIO and WASAPI exclusive mode.

Amir was involved in the development of WASAPI and could explain how best to do it, assuming he is not still trapped under NDA.

coonmanx

I used to use a cheap Chinese preamp for source volume control from the TV to the amp because otherwise I had to turn up the amp too much. It cost me about $40, had low THD and sounded good enough to me. I don't know how it would work with a dedicated music source however.

MeThinksTooMuch

Forum Donor
Don't think Emotiva makes it any longer, but I use their Control Freak and find it to be acceptable and convenient. Can’t say the same about the Stealth 6s I purchased from them which is why I own the Freak. If you can find it used by itself, maybe a worthwhile buy?

nagster

About SINAD vs Level of behringer MONITOR1 (passive), SPL Volume2 / model2602 (active) and TOPPING Pre90 (active).
DAC used TOPPING D90SE.
d90se_pre90_spl2_m1.jpg

Attachments

• d90se_monitor1_splv2_pre90_sinad.png
    d90se_monitor1_splv2_pre90_sinad.png
    223.5 KB · Views: 10,717
  • monitor1_ch diff_02.PNG
    monitor1_ch diff_02.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 344

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About SINAD vs Level of behringer MONITOR1 (passive), SPL Volume2 / model2602 (active) and TOPPING Pre90 (active).
DAC used TOPPING D90SE.
View attachment 210880
Thanks for this !
Exactly what I was looking for.

The D90SE is actually very impressive by itself.
I'm surprised there is so little difference between the pre90 and the D90SE direct.

Is there a way you could measure impedances at, say, -20dB ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom