• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap but non-degrading solution to add volume control between dac and amp.

doc2c

Hi everyone,
Long time scourer, first time poster.

I have a JNOG DAC and I'm looking to buy a speaker amp but unfortunately it doesnt have a volume control on it.

I will be using this setup on my Windows desktop computer. I'd like to be able to use ASIO driver and no mess with Windows volume control.

I know a good preamp like Pre90 or Freya can control volume and not degrade the signal, but are there cheaper alternatives that wont have a negative impact on sound

Newman

Major Contributor
Would also be interested in multichannel possibilities. I have low-output AVR pre-outs (unbalanced, as usual) and pro audio power amps (balanced inputs).

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,
Long time scourer, first time poster.

I have a JNOG DAC and I'm looking to buy a speaker amp but unfortunately it doesnt have a volume control on it.

I will be using this setup on my Windows desktop computer. I'd like to be able to use ASIO driver and no mess with Windows volume control.

I know a good preamp like Pre90 or Freya can control volume and not degrade the signal, but are there cheaper alternatives that wont have a negative impact on sound
Something like this:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Maybe this or this.

Simple-passive attenuation doesn't damage the signal... The thing that might happen with a simple stereo pot like these is that the left & right might not match exactly.

OP
D

doc2c

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My solution is to use a software-based volume-controller (see below) which operates the volume in JRiver and/or directly in my DAC.
71cAWgW4mTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mwickett

I used the Behringer Monitor1 in a similar setup with powered monitors. It worked well, with some channel imbalance at very low volumes. I liked the feel of the volume knob.

If you don't need balanced, the Schiit Sys is another option. I use it as a switcher, but it also has passive volume.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The monitor 1 looks nice and simple.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks very similar to the Behringer monitor one, except it has switchable 2 in x2 out.

Roger285

It's fully passive and built like a tank. I think it's pretty transparent but haven't seen any measurements on it. It takes TRS in and out so you may need adapters or cables it you're working with xlr. Here's another one I use (I have a couple of edit suites): The Nano patch from JBL. It's not as nice or as flexible as the Mackie.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It's fully passive and built like a tank. I think it's pretty transparent but haven't seen any measurements on it.
It's a pot and so is the JBL. Quality depends on their source.

brimble

Forum Donor
Other options include this (also uses XLR connections, which for me would be a minus):

and the Palmer Monicon

Aldoszx

Top Bottom