• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap alternative to Chromecast Audio?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
S

skinnyq

If there's anyone wanting to sell one CCA and willing to ship internationally, please PM me.
Otherwise, what's the cheapest decent HAT DAC for the RPi?

OP
S

skinnyq

rcmo

I too have followed the Pi4 road but AFAIK you cannot use it as a chromecast sink. I've got plex(amp), spotify and airplay but not chromecast.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I too have followed the Pi4 road but AFAIK you cannot use it as a chromecast sink. I've got plex(amp), spotify and airplay but not chromecast.

You can, as the key for Chromecast is apparently out there, but not legally, and not without skills.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Was wondering if there was some experience with this one I've seen on Amazon
If I didn't already have three CCAs I might be tempted but don't really need four.....

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Was wondering if there was some experience with this one I've seen on Amazon
If I didn't already have three CCAs I might be tempted but don't really need four.....
DLNA compatible is not equivalent to Chromecast. Music apps like Primephonic will cast to Chromecast devices but not to DLNA like the linked device.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DLNA compatible is not equivalent to Chromecast. Music apps like Primephonic will cast to Chromecast devices but not to DLNA like the linked device.

DLNA fills my needs (I think), never heard of Primephonic either.....would anything else not be able to use it, tho?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
DLNA fills my needs (I think), never heard of Primephonic either.....would anything else not be able to use it, tho?

Qobuz app only streams to Chromecast devices not DLNA.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Seems Airplay2 is out, too.

One can stream Qobuz via DLNA using other apps like BubbleUpnp but at some point you have to ask yourself how many hoops you want to jump through and how many UI compromises you want to accept just to avoid paying an extra $50 for a CCA.

Top Bottom