• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap alternative to Chromecast Audio?

skinnyq

Hello,
CCA isn't available in my country and nobody ships it here.
Do you have any idea of something as cost-effective and as well-performing as the CCA I can buy to stream music from Spotify to my old AVR (has a built-in DAC but I am unsure if I should use it or buy a separate one).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Raspberry pi solutions come closest, covered extensively in the ‘best streamer’ thread. I presume your AVR doesn’t have a USB in, which adds a ’hat’ to the Pi cost.

You might also get someone on the forum to snag a few CCA on eBay and send them to you.

OP
S

skinnyq

Raspberry pi solutions come closest, covered extensively in the ‘best streamer’ thread. I presume your AVR doesn’t have a USB in, which adds a ’hat’ to the Pi cost.

You might also get someone on the forum to snag a few CCA on eBay and send them to you.
I just need the one ;).
Can you recommend a Raspberry Pi setup? What would I need exactly?

Webninja

Forum Donor
Hard to beat CCA for plug and play. Will no one on eBay ship to you? I’ve found many sellers will ship internally if you are willing to pay.

OP
S

skinnyq

I mean I could probably get one for $85 but that's too much I would say.
As I have a Chromecast with Google TV already, how would an HDMI audio extractor work? Would the sound quality be worse?

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For $85 you can get a pi4 with 4GB ram, a nice case, and a power supply. All you need is a micro-SD card and a USB cord and you are good to go. This is way over-specified for what you need but I happened to have this shopping basket open. If you need a 'HAT' for SPDIF output, that will cost you another $30-40.

There are several downloads to set up the Pi for Spotify. I don't use Spotify, so I haven't tried them. Raspotify, pimusicbox, etc. Darko says Volumio works with Spotify, altho I hadn't seen that.

I'm a Roon user, so I use Ropiee.

1609432062007.png

Willem

Major Contributor
I think $85 is still a bargain for something that works so well. It is a real shame Google discontinued it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget transparent solution: Raspberry pi 4 and Hifiberry Digi+ Pro. (100-120$ for everything you need)

For more money you can get the Allo Digione and raspberry pi 4 for roughly 200$ for everything you need.

Allo sells pre-built players too with a tiny premium.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have bought 4 recently for 45 to 50 USD each on EBay. I have a multi room setup and it works very well. Where are you? The guy I bought 3 of mine from ships internationally.

OP
S

skinnyq

I have bought 4 recently for 45 to 50 USD each on EBay. I have a multi room setup and it works very well. Where are you? The guy I bought 3 of mine from ships internationally.
I think the same guy ships it here (Israel) but for $33! That's around $85 for one, like I said, which frankly seems like too much for a $35 device.

Top Bottom