• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ChatGPT to calculate DIY speakers

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats why i usually trust a online calculater more than a online article from a person i dont know the background. See if i would trust every BS artikel about hifi on the net i would go crazy.
Then why don’t you trust ChatGPT’s calculations? Whats the difference from one online calculator to another?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why don’t you trust ChatGPT’s calculations? Whats the difference from one online calculator to another?
Because, again, Chat GPT is not meant to be correct, it only guesses the next word from a series of words, that's what it does, nothing else. A calculator is developed to be correct, so at least you have that, the intention of the author to build something one can trust. Then of course there can be a bug, but you can report it and get it solved.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

It has to collect how the calculations have to be used. It has to find trusted calculations......

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, balance and precision in the midrange? At least this thing learned hifi blabla. :)

Ask it whats precision and balance in the midrange?
It did say they are personal I.e. subjective criteria, which is correct. I now asked objective criteria. Argue with that if you can!

Q: Why uniform directivity is important in speakers and show me an example model that has that attribute by displaying its SPINORAMA graph.

A: Uniform directivity is important in speakers because it helps to ensure that the sound quality remains consistent across a wide listening area. When a speaker has uniform directivity, it means that the sound radiates from the speaker in a consistent pattern, rather than being focused in one direction or unevenly dispersed.

This is important because it allows for a more natural and immersive listening experience, where the sound remains clear and detailed regardless of where you are sitting in the room. It can also help to minimize issues with room acoustics and reflections, since the sound will be more evenly distributed.

One example of a speaker that has uniform directivity is the Revel PerformaBe M126Be. This speaker uses a waveguide design to help ensure consistent dispersion, and has been shown to have excellent directivity characteristics in SPINORAMA measurements.

Here is a link to the SPINORAMA graph for this speaker, which shows the directivity index and other important metrics:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/m126be-spinorama-jpg.70833/

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because, again, Chat GPT is not meant to be correct, it only guesses the next word from a series of words, that's what it does, nothing else.
I’m afraid to say you are mistaken. How could otherwise make correct calculations, every time, if it was guessing?

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has to collect how the calculations have to be used. It has to find trusted calculations......
It’s an engineering tool. Not an educational tool. You must know the calculations to use it. Same with a scientific calculator.

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

Generative AI knows nothing about loudspeakers, acoustics, or anything at all. It builds sentences based on statistics and a training set. Because the statistics are extremely complex (it seems the complexity is over our understanding ability) and the training set is extremely huge, it seems that formally correct sentences are meaningful.
But that's not the case at all. Humanizing this fact by using the term "hallucination" is just a cheap gimmick.
In the general case, you will achieve nothing but well-known platitudes, nothing replaces years of study and practice.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It’s an engineering tool. Not an educational tool. You must know the calculations to use it. Same with a scientific calculator.

Yes, like i said its a tool. One that i would not trust 100% at its state of development. Its impressive no discussion.

What does it say? Is the earth flat?

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m afraid to say you are mistaken. How could otherwise make correct calculations, every time, if it was guessing?
Because it's very good at guessing, but it's not calculating anything. It's a language model, a very large and powerful one. That's why there is a plugin to a real calculator, the Wolfram alpha.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it's very good at guessing, but it's not calculating anything. It's a language model, a very large and powerful one. That's why there is a plugin to a real calculator, the Wolfram alpha.
Was that not calculated with ChatGPT then?

Q: What is the area of 12.6” radius of a circle in m2?

A: To convert 12.6 inches to meters, we need to divide it by the conversion factor of 39.37, since there are 39.37 inches in one meter:

12.6 inches ÷ 39.37 = 0.31946 meters (rounded to five decimal places)

Now that we have the radius in meters, we can use the formula for the area of a circle:

A = πr^2
where A is the area and r is the radius. Plugging in the radius we just calculated:

A = π(0.31946 m)^2
A = 0.320 m^2 (rounded to three decimal places)

Therefore, the area of a circle with a radius of 12.6 inches is approximately 0.320 square meters.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It would also be interresting when it says i dont know or iam not sure about my information?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would also be interresting when it says i dont know or iam not sure about my information?
I already posted an example.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I already posted an example.

I think one of the issues here is that sometimes ChatGPT doesn't know what it doesn't know. From reading the technical report, I get the impression that most of the "I don't know" styled responses are bandages that have been patched in after receiving negative feedback on similar/the same questions.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was that not calculated with ChatGPT then?

Q: What is the area of 12.6” radius of a circle in m2?

A: To convert 12.6 inches to meters, we need to divide it by the conversion factor of 39.37, since there are 39.37 inches in one meter:

12.6 inches ÷ 39.37 = 0.31946 meters (rounded to five decimal places)

Now that we have the radius in meters, we can use the formula for the area of a circle:

A = πr^2
where A is the area and r is the radius. Plugging in the radius we just calculated:

A = π(0.31946 m)^2
A = 0.320 m^2 (rounded to three decimal places)

Therefore, the area of a circle with a radius of 12.6 inches is approximately 0.320 square meters.
Was guessed as a large language model does, but not calculated.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you see “12.6 inches ÷ 39.37 = 0.31946 meters (rounded to five decimal places)” as a guess, I.e. an estimate but not a mathematical determination?

I urge you to check the meaning of the words “guess” and “calculations.”

Last edited:

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So you see “12.6 inches ÷ 39.37 = 0.31946 meters (rounded to five decimal places)” as a guess, I.e. an estimate but not a mathematical determination?

I urge you to check the meaning of the words “guess” and “calculations.”
So this video is nearly 3 years old and about GPT-3, but it explains the nature of ChatGPT's mathematical capabilities (linked to the specific part of the video):

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So this video is nearly 3 years old and about GPT-3, but it explains the nature of ChatGPT's mathematical capabilities (linked to the specific part of the video):
Thank you but I rather rely on what I see and the results I get. I am qualified enough to know when an engineering tool is correct.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is is not useful to understand how a tool works?
Nope. I am not interested in how a calculator works either. It’s software, so is ChatGPT. They all work by using algorithms, entered either by humans or added incrementally by finding and learning matching new ones with the software itself (LLM).

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is nothing to hallucinate as it is giving us formulae and making calculations.

I don't think you understand how chatGPT works, it's not really 'thinking' or 'doing math' it's just guessing what the next word should be everytime it writes a word.

So yeah sometimes it can be the insane rambling of a man but with the most eloquent grammar and advanced sentence structures

Top Bottom