• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center channel!

OP
A

AlzalzS

Hey man, if you have an account on there, chance you could grab and send to me? That website is not allowing registration of new members.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Left -2db, right -2db
Center +12db
Surrounds -2db
Subwoofer -7db (I use LFE)
Look as much as you hate to hear it. You need another center. See the earlier post too from @sweetchaos

Your Denon sets it to 12dB which is the maximum it can do because it recognizes it is too low. And even the maximum is too low in comparison to the other speakers according to your description. Your center simply can’t play loud enough.

The only trick you can do is to cheat the system is to manually lower the other speaker by let’s say 6dB until it fits better. But it is not ideal.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No way I really like the center, I’m not bashing it! I’m saying I ‘finally’ got the center to sound good as a surprise to me as compared how the system as a whole sounded before and as to how long I’ve had this center since purchase, which is not long really maybe 6 months. It’s the Bose 100s that I’m mad at right now.

Did you even read my post? Or are you just jumping to the “what’s speakers do you have?” Comment
Swap one of the other speakers to center and see how it sounds

Kimbrough Xu

Hello and greetings,

When I added a center channel it resulted with mixed reviews. I noticed that the center is much quieter in dB than the other speakers front/left and surrounds. At that time I could not find that balance where I can hear from the front speaker(center) although it was the one nearest to me.. making the speaker as though it’s not even there because the other speakers were too loud(is this called phasing?). I questioned the surrounds. I had this issue where I needed to correct the db of all the individual speakers to allow the center to be heard. It was to my surprise that, once unmuffled, the speaker is now the main of my system. To the point that I don’t think I need any of my extras in the 5.1 setup and could easily just listen from the center! With each channel running at +12dB and with the volume turned up, I did sense that the sound quality was anything more than garbage noise, well not completely…But it was frustrating. The question remained: what do I do with this sound system??? Once I realized that I should isolate and check the center, that’s when I decided to turn down the other channels and I now enjoy the center and wonder if the extra surrounds should go to the garbage. Center + sub.. I mean.

( I was also even wondering if I took the center speaker model I use, buy another 2, and set them up as left/ right as well. Doubt it for the time being but when looking for speakers in the future, I think I would chose the center channel speaker to audition before anything.)

Adding the extra speakers and resulting in phasing each other out is the exact opposite of what I wanted. It’s either the surrounds suck as a speaker and the center is a better quality speaker, or it’s the placement, or maybe a good center speaker is all we need really.
Why not just reduce the volume of your left and right speakers?

OP
A

AlzalzS

I ended up leaving all the channels the same volume however, sometimes I will lower the left and right when I feel like hearing the center a little it more

Top Bottom