• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CDs---Grampa's relics?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you understand---it's the empty, 25 count boxes I wanted to store my CDs. About half of the CDs I've got in storage in a closet are in those 25 count boxes.
Why not just get rid of the jewel boxes and use a binder instead?

levimax

Major Contributor
Since CD's are reliable and can sound great and many older CD's have an old school dynamic mastering different than the latest remastered streamed versions I'm sure they will have a revival in popularity of some sort sooner or later but I doubt it will be as strong as the vinyl revival.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

mkt

Currently boxing my CDs but still buying (and borrowing from the library) SACDs to rip the multichannel content.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am more of a great-grandpa age, and I ripped my 320 CDs to VBR MP3 in 2012 - just before moving my retirement location to the little tourist/agricultural town of Boquete in the mountains of Western Panama. I am now 80 y/o with probably only a few years left at most. A friend here - an American expat widow - gave me a copy of her late husband's digital music library on a 4TB external HDD - about 440,000 mostly mp3's. I supported musicians and the music industry, all of my working life, and as an old "pensionado", I don't feel guilty about my collection. It's not exactly legal, and it will disappear with me when I die.

If anybody wants those same music files, they can simply listen and/or download the files from YouTube or other free streaming A/V sources. However, If you are still working and can afford it, please support musicians by buying music directly from their websites when you can, so the money goes to them and not music corporations and their stockholders.

My audio playback system is a hybrid. Most of my library is encoded to VBR MP3 music files stored on a NAS that I play with MoOde on a Raspberry Pi feeding a modern DAC, but amplified with an old-school Class A push-pull untralinear EL34/6CA7 vacuum tube amplifier. I also listen to internet radio and other free streaming sources. My only paid digital media subscription is to CuriosityStream - a superb source of documentary films and videos including some.

Although I don't own a single CD anymore, I do own one LP - and the jacket hangs on my wall. It's a 1956 recording by George Shearing - a replacement copy of the first LP I ever bought - in 1958. It's monaural, because 1958 that stereo LPs first appeared on the consumer market. Now I don't have a turntable and cartridge, so I can't play the LP. I do, however, have a ripped digital MP3 copy with the pops and clicks removed.

George Shearing - Latin Esacapade.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Say what you will about the moral issues around reselling stuff,
Ok, i will: it is totally legal to sell your old CDs.

It's that CDs are currently relegated to the market position of 78s
True. However, some of us still enjoy them, i even buy collections for very small money, just to rip them into my collection and keep the good ones.

I don't care much about streaming from the internet for money.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ok, i will: it is totally legal to sell your old CDs.

True. However, some of us still enjoy them, i even buy collections for very small money, just to rip them into my collection and keep the good ones.

I don't care much about streaming from the internet for money.
I was playing 78s up until I unloaded my LP collection, having to unload the 78s as well. Sonically, a lot of the 78s were less problematic than some of my LPs. The thing about selling my CDs is that nobody really wants them. Although I've got some shelving in the house devoted to about 700 discs and a few video DVDs, I haven't played but around 10 of them since I moved. They look nice, but I'm visualizing the time those shelves have art supplies on them instead.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember buying turntables for practically nothing from grandpas who had moved to CDs. I remember picking up a Linn Sondek with an SME-3009 from the metal recycling pile at my local tip. I remember piles of turntables stacked up for a few dollars.

I remember seeing entire record collections strewn all over the tip face everytime I went to take garden refuse to the dump.

Now its CDs dumped en-mass and the CD players have long gone to landfill.

The thing is, the CD was and is the finest music carrier ever sold to the public. Nothing comes close in terms of ubiquity, performance, longevity and practicality.

People simplify their lives, I understand that, as they get older. But whilst I am still breathing, I'll have a bunch of TOTL CD players and my CD collection, which I continually add to, now for cents on the dollar.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Why not just get rid of the jewel boxes and use a binder instead?
My father does. He keeps the artwork in 1 binder and the discs in another. Most of my CD's jewel cases are basic but some have different colors but cannot be replaced.

For a while "Digipacks" were popular for CDs but I think companies realize jewel cases are cheap enough and better. I hate Digipacks and its clones. They print the artwork directly on the "case" so if it gets scratched, your SOL. My first CD that I bought was "Elvis 30 #1 hits", it was actually worse than digipack, for $10 I got a LP like cardboard sleeve/case instead of a nice jewel case. Since I was kid then, I didn't take care of the CD and its cardboard case, at least it was cooling see 31 tracks on a CD.

47483_myles_kennedy_year_of_the_tiger_digipak_cd_alternative_metal_napalm_records.jpg

When I was growing up, my father and I loved these "20th Century Masters" but nowadays (for me at least) they are really terrible. I have this "Aerosmith" CD by them and it was remastered with "96khz/24bit" tracks but they cranked the volume sky high. I went to hear how bad it was and I hear distortion at low volumes. It felt like a bunch of 90s grunge kids that had cheap bookshelf systems made this CD. I do care about good mastering these days but my father doesn't care about quality that much. He can listen to 96kbps AAC just fine.

In terms of mass-produced CDs, your gonna find them for dirt cheap online but sought out CDs that come from well-regarded companies like DCC, will sell for high prices. Even Eric Records CDs still sell kind of high. Time Life have iffy mastering at times but those CDs sell kind of high also, ironically there is a lot bootlegs.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've worked in music stores selling all forms of physical media for decades, encounter it rarely, almost always Nimbus recordings from the birth of the CD. Mostly a myth with just enough traction to keep it running, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I own several thousand CDs (over 3k, haven't counted in quite a while haha), purchased over the years since 1987. I have only had ONE disc that had "CD rot," and it was a Nimbus recording. It actually had problems the first time I tried to play it. So it either was bad straight from the factory, or it "rotted" while sitting on the store shelf awaiting my unfortunate decision to purchase it!

MI0001142646.jpg

It was originally issued in 1988 (according to Discogs), and I probably purchased my copy around 1991 or so. I first heard June Anderson in Rossini's Semiramide with Marilyn Horne at the end of 1990, so it would have been shortly after that. I either threw it out eventually, or it's still packed away with some odds and ends after several moves over the years.

Thieves at Nimbus got my money and I never even got to hear the music once! My suddenly renewed anger (lol) caused me to look for it on youtube, and I'm listening now. What a letdown, after all the years not knowing what I was missing out on. It's actually crap. LOL (Now I actually resent the idea that they are going to get a fraction of a penny from my streaming of that, on top of the outright theft of my precious cash all those years ago! :D )

I think I only own one other thing from Nimbus, a 4-CD boxed set. It's not that old, and as of a few weeks ago, it played perfectly. I guess I ought to copy the discs for insurance lol.

I have read that some Hyperion discs had issues around the late 1980s, but none of mine (200+ discs from that label) have developed any rot.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I remember buying turntables for practically nothing from grandpas who had moved to CDs. I remember picking up a Linn Sondek with an SME-3009 from the metal recycling pile at my local tip. I remember piles of turntables stacked up for a few dollars.

I remember seeing entire record collections strewn all over the tip face everytime I went to take garden refuse to the dump.

Now its CDs dumped en-mass and the CD players have long gone to landfill.

The thing is, the CD was and is the finest music carrier ever sold to the public. Nothing comes close in terms of ubiquity, performance, longevity and practicality.

People simplify their lives, I understand that, as they get older. But whilst I am still breathing, I'll have a bunch of TOTL CD players and my CD collection, which I continually add to, now for cents on the dollar.
Of course, you have gobs of space, we've got a little less than 1000 square feet, had over 2000 before, so material possessions must, out of necessity, be shed. There were so many books to get rid of as well. And we're not really missing any of it. Managed to simplify out of necessity.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I hate Digipacks and its clones

Never like digipacks either. They are always a different size, shape and are a nasty overall experience. The original jewel case was perfect.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I tend not to lend CD's anymore as you either never get it back or...

There are only two people on earth I would loan a CD to. My father and my best friend. They are both as careful with CDs as I am. My best friend after a few drinks- not so much. :)

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I own several thousand CDs (over 3k, haven't counted in quite a while haha), purchased over the years since 1987. I have only had ONE disc that had "CD rot," and it was a Nimbus recording. It actually had problems the first time I tried to play it. So it either was bad straight from the factory, or it "rotted" while sitting on the store shelf awaiting my unfortunate decision to purchase it!

View attachment 188086

It was originally issued in 1988 (according to Discogs), and I probably purchased my copy around 1991 or so. I first heard June Anderson in Rossini's Semiramide with Marilyn Horne at the end of 1990, so it would have been shortly after that. I either threw it out eventually, or it's still packed away with some odds and ends after several moves over the years.

Thieves at Nimbus got my money and I never even got to hear the music once! My suddenly renewed anger (lol) caused me to look for it on youtube, and I'm listening now. What a letdown, after all the years not knowing what I was missing out on. It's actually crap. LOL (Now I actually resent the idea that they are going to get a fraction of a penny from my streaming of that, on top of the outright theft of my precious cash all those years ago! :D )

I think I only own one other thing from Nimbus, a 4-CD boxed set. It's not that old, and as of a few weeks ago, it played perfectly. I guess I ought to copy the discs for insurance lol.

I have read that some Hyperion discs had issues around the late 1980s, but none of mine (200+ discs from that label) have developed any rot.
I remember looking over the Hanover Band complete Beethoven Symphonies on Nimbus at Rasputin, Fresno. One of the best HIP Beethoven sets, but this copy had disc rot on all five discs, alas. I think the recordings on YouTube are remakes, but this recording of Consecration of the House turned up as an "EP" of sorts, a collection of overtures running less than the usual playing time. Fantastic performance of this overture, pity about the discs.

mkt

I have bumped into a few Pearl recordings with bronzing. Not clear if replacements exist or they are lost for good.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I say keep the CDs you think are good after ripping them.
I use Haribo boxes from Rewe or Aldi. They come with a lid and you can stack them 6 to 8 boxes high. More if you have a wall to lean to. They fit about 90 CDs and you can read the labels.

The version at Youtube is stereo:

The thing about selling my CDs is that nobody really wants them.
I would want them :cool:

got some shelving in the house devoted to about 700 discs
Those are rookie numbers.

THIS IST IT! The golden age of the CD is now. Cheap, widely available, unwanted by others. You can get entire collections for a six pack of beer. THIS IS OUR HOUR! :)

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Never like digipacks either. They are always a different size, shape and are a nasty overall experience. The original jewel case was perfect.
I prefer the revisionist case for SACDs featuring rounded corners. They were more likely to bounce. Digipacks don't bother me, their covers wear just like LPs instead of shattering. When people speak of the "bad sound" of CDs I think of the clack of keeper against keeper or jewel case on jewel case compared to the soft "thud" of record jackets being flipped in the bin. As regards the contents, it's a whole 'nother story.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have CD's and buy the occasional CD. I prefer to download instead of streaming as well.

I tend not to lend CD's anymore as you either never get it back or...

49f74f034e6bf64941ba3cb3c603a2a3.jpeg

JSmith
Having seen a CD at a B&B in Scotland which looked like it was grinded with fine sand paper and nevertheless played fine (after removing the jam on it and in the drive) I couldn't care less lending a CD to anybody.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Those are rookie numbers.
I worked on record stores around Berkeley's Telegraph Avenue for about a decade, getting promos at one job, trading them at Amoeba [usually], find stuff at Rasputin's [they never paid as much, but conversely would also sell for less]. I'd get promos or deep discounts on Records & CDs on account of having a radio program as well. And there were something like ten other record stores I'd visit back then. So the count of the collection was fluid but topped out around 2000 LPs or CDs due to space limitations. There's twice as many CDs in the closet as on the shelves. If I kept everything I bought I'd need Restorer John's Place to store it.

Top Bottom