• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Career advice

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took programming in college but wouldn't right now. AI is going to eliminate any jobs that can be eliminated for coding. They'll always need some people to finish and coordinate a project, but there's so much grunt work that will be done by AI in the coming years. I'd just focus on things not likely to be replaced. There's fairly few AI addons/plugins currently, but a lot more will be written for it. Same for graphics, I've seen art departments reduced from 50 people to 5 who do the finish editing before something goes to print or published. It's still early though, and right less than half the time when I do searches for even simple things with Bard for a DAC that outputs 5 volts or more. I'd still keep it in mind when deciding which language and if AI is going to make those skills obsolete in 5 years.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Since you have a BS in ME you should continue on towards a MS in a related field. There is and will be a continuing demand for people who are versed in civil engineering to build and maintain current civil infrastructure, while at the same time designing the next generation of projects. That means big money. Which means big firms—think Bechtel-sized—will be involved. That might be a path for you to follow. The one thing that you could use CS skills for is to become familiar with the tools that MEs use now and what would be emerging in the next decade or so.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some self dilemma regarding future career/education path and figured I will ask around here for some advice.
I have recently completed a bachelor degree in mechanical engineering, and plan on taking another comp-sci major to complement the ME degree.
@MKreroo, apologies for trying to read between your top few lines.
*May I ask what made you select BSME, to start with?
*If you feel competent about your not-so-cheap 4-years of higher education, why change your career path now?
I ask because I sense a bit of reticence[?] or doubts or a change of mind now that you have graduated.
My thoughts:
Completing the FE/PE exam is more worth it right, but from what I remember that's hard to pass.
Get your P. Eng. That's the next step. Get it while you are young.
I work with a lot of engineers; structural, civil, building science, geotechnical, hydrology, environmental, mechanical, electrical, they all have their P. Eng.
Forgot a couple; transportation, railway, and since you are on this forum, drum roll please, wait for it, wait...
Some would pay for such professional coaches, as above 2.;)

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My experience is that I did best what I enjoyed most. I once had a student who was majoring in accounting -- and told me that he hated it. I asked "Why do what you hate for the rest of your life?" He replied "I can always get a job."

I changed fields several times: systems engineering to engineering psychology to finance to databases. took courses in the evening (statistics) and full time (business and finance). I worked for private firms (one with free beer after 5pm), the government, universities, and as an independent consultant. I avoided boredom and looked forward to working.

Do what you enjoy and challenges you.
Someone who hates what they do might be able to 'always' get a job. Maybe. But they sure as hell aren't guaranteed to hang on to it for long.

OP
M

MKreroo

*May I ask what made you select BSME, to start with?
*If you feel competent about your not-so-cheap 4-years of higher education, why change your career path now?
I ask because I sense a bit of reticence[?] or doubts or a change of mind now that you have graduated.
Initially it was interest in the automotive industry, particularly in the high performance field. This sort of took a turn with the rapid rise of EVs, though less affected since my main area of interest is with aero/mechanism. However much recently I feel that the growth with-in aero/mechanism is rather limited.
I initially thought about a career change primarily due to seeing the work-life balance/working environment in that field as well as the growth. After seeing what members said here, as well as some discussion with my school, I think I will remain with ME, but still need to hone my skills in the software aspect (especially with data and AI) to better adapt the changes in ME field.
Since you have a BS in ME you should continue on towards a MS in a related field. There is and will be a continuing demand for people who are versed in civil engineering to build and maintain current civil infrastructure, while at the same time designing the next generation of projects. That means big money. Which means big firms—think Bechtel-sized—will be involved. That might be a path for you to follow. The one thing that you could use CS skills for is to become familiar with the tools that MEs use now and what would be emerging in the next decade or so.
Thanks for the suggestion :), would you recommend an immediately progression into MS or first gain some field experience then going for the MS? One thing I heard from a few TAs is the difficulty of findng job with insufficient field experience after MS, while my upper manager in co-op also recommend getting MS after BS.
My personal take is getting into the field before MS could help better decide what to do for MS, but want to hear what others thoughts are.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This sort of took a turn with the rapid rise of EVs, though less affected since my main area of interest is with aero/mechanism.
However much recently I feel that the growth with-in aero/mechanism is rather limited.
Which part of EV is a revolutionary (future proofness) tech that makes it attractive to you?
I am not understanding what part of the aerospace (mil/commercial/space) industry has limited-growth.
As long as you don't get bogged down with the questionable 'moral/ethical' issues in the military/industrial complex.
I initially thought about a career change primarily due to seeing the work-life balance/working environment in that field as well as the growth.
I am going to steal an English statement and say "Bullocks!"
Wouldn't that be like demanding free french-fries ... well... just because you have a BSME?
Remember that with that BSME also comes some BS&T before demanding... well... free french-fries!:confused:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What did you focus on within ME? There is still a shortage of MEs in the building design sector, at least in major cities in the US. Most M/E/P Principals I'll talked to over the last year indicated they are having trouble finding enough new engineers. And it's a field where a MS isn't really needed.

Agreeing with this, there is voracious demand for ME/EE.

One thing to think about, CS is an extremely portable and adaptable skillset, which is nice if you like a wide field you can work anywhere you want. It also means you have massive, massive competition at an international scale, for a job, for a contract etc. The engineering fields vary but in general the studies and the certifications are far more local. One way may appeal more than the other.

OP
M

MKreroo

Which part of EV is a revolutionary (future proofness) tech that makes it attractive to you?
I am not understanding what part of the aerospace (mil/commercial/space) industry has limited-growth.
As long as you don't get bogged down with the questionable 'moral/ethical' issues in the military/industrial complex.

I am going to steal an English statement and say "Bullocks!"
Wouldn't that be like demanding free french-fries ... well... just because you have a BSME?
Remember that with that BSME also comes some BS&T before demanding... well... free french-fries!:confused:
Sorry for not explaining clear enough. The part of automotive that sparked my attention was the aero aspect of cars, as well as things such as suspension system (control of the car). The EV is mostly just that EE is now taking more importance than ICE, hence my sense of ME's part getting a bit smaller.
Regarding the work-life balance/environment, I think you made a good point. I made that assumption from simply seeing a few of my friends working remotely, essentially eliminating the transit aspect. Somehow I neglected the often (I suppose?) overtime aspect of a dev's job haha.

If you don't mind, would you be fine with me dm you some additional questions?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to think about, CS is an extremely portable and adaptable skillset, which is nice if you like a wide field you can work anywhere you want.
There is a problem << which has been brought out earlier:
...But CS changes so fast that a university degree doesn't mean much. You either learn on your feet or fall behind. I've been doing it for 25 years.
I think this is valid and imo: CS has almost become more of a niche/specialty rather than a more encompassing EE/ME. again imo.:confused:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When we were noobs in designEE, it was said that a designEE half-life was about 10yrs in the industry.
They also used to call it a "career path" to chose either to stay in the (DOOR#1) technical aspects (upon earning your chops/creds) or (DOOR#2) move on up to management.
DOOR#2 choice is much easier to open if you are willing to entertain something like an MBA, which has not been yet recommended here.
If you have the entrepreneurial skills/spirit and find out you also have the inventive mindset; an MBA would make that uphill-battle much smoother!
But notice, this is for an ambitious BSME graduate who does not want to party more than achieving a successful professional career and who doesn't speak the language work-life balance and does not keep comparing themselves to others in the hive!

Do you notice how much BS&T a successful BSME graduate needs at the onset of a career?

jhenderson0107

A specific engineering degree doesn't lock you into a specific kind of work. I'm an ME, but have done robotics, digital and analog design and embedded software throughout most of my 40+ year career. Many of the engineers with whom I've worked have similarly rambling work histories. An engineering degree is merely a license to think for a living.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An engineering degree is merely a license to think for a living.
+1
Did you have to bust hump in the early years?
(Of course, no kind of work is a walk-in-the-park, if you want to get ahead in life)
Did they teach you 'work/life balance' in college?
(that was not a 'thing' yet in my early years);)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
A specific engineering degree doesn't lock you into a specific kind of work. I'm an ME, but have done robotics, digital and analog design and embedded software throughout most of my 40+ year career. .
+1

I'm an EE, but have run major tech projects outside of electronics.
An engineering degree is merely a license to think for a living.
Brilliantly put.

It's all about DECISIONS. The more experience to have, the quicker you can make decisions and your ability to decide about things which are outside your core competence improves. In industry, the bigger the impact and risk of these decisions and the frequency you can make them determines your pay.

For those asking about work-life balance, I don't think there is a "right answer". Having money early in life to invest in pensions etc. can mean more personal freedom later on, but getting money early comes at a work-life balance cost.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my advice is put in the hours and the effort now while you are young and have the energy. Twenty years from now you will be glad you did.

The most important thing is to do work you enjoy, ideally with people you like. Then it doesn't seem so much like work, it's easier to put in long hours and work/life balance is no longer relevant.

The only way to find out what you like doing is to do things. You can't figure out what that will be theoretically. Got to be done in the field. When you're young you have time to change lanes a few times if needed.

Leave the study for now, get a job, chuck yourself into it, bank some money, see what you think and how you feel a year down the line.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only way to find out what you like doing is to do things. You can't figure out what that will be theoretically. Got to be done in the field. When you're young you have time to change lanes a few times if needed.

Leave the study for now, get a job, chuck yourself into it, bank some money, see what you think and how you feel a year down the line.
I want to say this simple advice above is good advice.

I cared about the environment since college when I could not make it into Architecture School and ended up as a Mechanical Engineer in the late 70s instead. In my early thirties I got final approval to move into the active solar heated house that I designed and built much of myself. I have followed the subject of renewable energy ever since. I worked in testing lab testing many things from San Francisco Cable Cars to all kinds medical equipment for start up companies which then led to career in med devices and nine different startups for 35 years. I traveled the world, was an inventor 120 plus patents and even worked for the legal department on a successful lawsuit. Companies ran out money, went public, were bought by larger companies for large sums, sold at a loss for much less than was invested and was I laid off, fired and quit but in the end it was great ride with some tears along the way.

My advice do some research on the companies in field you like or pick a location where you want live and take a ME job. Also, after you do, search for strong and loving life partner because that is just as important as a job.
1694295125694.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rivian, in sunny SoCal, has been posting for talent, for over a year.
You wanted automotive and you wanted an ME position.
I think Rivian has been facing much turn-over (as any other) and they may be getting inundated with interviews, or maybe peeps are keeping what they currently got.:confused:
SoCal cost of living is quite high but you also said you seek "work/life balance"...
Despair NOT: The only way to find out is to try...

BrooklynNick

For recent grads with the goal to work at a FAANG, the most important thing is having done good internships. The majority of recent grads that get hired by the large tech companies went thru their internship programs.

Be ready to pass a series of fairly hard coding interviews before you start sending resumes. Also, you should have a programming project from college that you can discuss in deep detail. If not, consider contributing to an open source project.

A degree in CS will help you get interviews, but any STEM degree from a well regarded engineering school will do. I would not recommend going back for a second degree as I think it will open relatively few doors. Instead, if you are not getting interviews where you want, try to settle and get a few years of work experience and then re-apply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom