• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion about career in Hifi Engineer!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a engineer. I am a electronic technician that specialized in mechatronics and with a drafting diploma too. I worked consumer electronics for 24 years and I would stay away from it. The industry is riddled with flakes, scams and people that love the work but are underpaid. If me I would go into mechatronics if you have the prerequisites and grades. Electrical engineering is always in demand and can make some pretty serious dough. :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
EE is not a bad choice, with computer science minor or similar given all the DSP stuff. Audio Research is looking for an EE at the moment...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last week, I was browsing through the Audiograph website who manufactures a dummy-load box for the AP that @amirm uses.
Their website had an advertisement for employment in Linköping, Sweden HQs.
An apparent industrious company that may be an excellent opportunity in the audio industry.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last week, I was browsing through the Audiograph website who manufactures a dummy-load box for the AP that @amirm uses.
Their website had an advertisement for employment in Linköping, Sweden HQs.
An apparent industrious company that may be an excellent opportunity in the audio industry.
I consider that more to the instrumentation and maybe even metrology stuff than I would consider it consumer audio related.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I consider that more to the instrumentation and maybe even metrology stuff than I would consider it consumer audio related.
It's the back end of audio << is it not?
Remember that one-car garage where Hewlett and Packard started?
HP200 may have been just an instrument but it allowed for objective audio testing to began... even before we were in diapers.:facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the back end of audio << is it not?
Remember that one-car garage where Hewlett and Packard started?
HP200 may have been just an instrument but it allowed for objective audio testing to began... even before we were in diapers.:facepalm:
Calling HP consumer related is a far stretch too.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
...HP200 may have been just an instrument ...
For those who don't know:

cat48_pg4.jpg

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I know about UK apprenticeships, some of which result in a degree. But, I understand from conversations with peers that other European countries adopt a similar central register:

Multicore

Major Contributor
What the sector really needs is better application software, better UI and UX, better set-up and upgrade automation. Better reliability in their networking. Integrated diagnostics for networking problems. Most of the stuff for streaming is just awful. BlueOS. WiiM. I had been thinking of trying Roon but there's a whole thread here about it's unreliability.

The best UX in a streaming app I have used so far is BubbleUPNP. It's very nicely done but it's strictly for nerds.

Unfortunately I suspect you won't get hired to improve these things except perhaps at Apple or Samsung because the rest of the industry seems positively disinterested in UX.

If you have to pay a lot for a higher education or take on debt to get it, then don't. Universities mostly aren't very good at teaching practical engineering any more. But if it doesn't cost you (much) and you might enjoy and you want to then go ahead.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mechatronics combines Mechanical and Electrical

Another to consider
Electromechanical and mechatronics are different stuff. :D I've worked both and both are cool but circuitry rules the entertainment factor for the day.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was told that as Einstein dropped out of high-school at 15yo you don’t need an education to work or succeed in technology related jobs. Such a shame that it was completely wrong. Even a cursory look at his Wikipage page would have told the person that he is a highly educated person with a Ph.D., a doctorate!

Audio industry suffers from uneducated people creating abominations that are selling for stupid money. The last thing I was expecting ASR to do is to play into their hands.

I’m off for a while.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Electromechanical and mechatronics are different stuff.
This stuff is confoozling me! I am sticking with DoE definitions.
There is being diversified in the education one may seek but electro-mechanical or mechatronics do not seem to be cohesive double-major event to me...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
The VP of Technology at KEF (@jackocleebrown ) might be able to give you some pointers. He studied mechanical engineering and followed that up with a PhD in loudspeaker acoustics (while at KEF).

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m off for a while.
I hope @sarumbear does not get mad at me (while he is gone) to state that the 21st Century US higher-education system has become a 'a la carte' menu. Mostly based on a financial-formula; regardless of degree of affinity or aptitude to succeed through 4 years that may be better spent in an apprentice-ship path.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I was told that as Einstein dropped out of high-school at 15yo you don’t need an education to work or succeed in technology related jobs. Such a shame that it was completely wrong. Even a cursory look at his Wikipage page would have told them that he is a highly educated person with a Ph.D., a doctorate!

Audio industry suffers from uneducated people creating abominations that are selling for stupid money. The last thing I was expecting ASR to do is to play into their hands.

I’m off for a while.
I certainly agree that a degree is a really key capability to do professional engineering. But it isn't the only way to become a professional engineer. Sure, in popular myth Einstein was not clever as a youth, but anyone who has studied relativity and quantum mechanics and the geniuses behind both will be well aware that this popular myth is just that - a myth!

There are some key examples of people who have "come up through the ranks". For example, everyone on this forum is indebted to Michael Faraday.

I also accept that there is complete junk designed by people with only a passing understanding of electronics, acoustics, mechanics etc.

Personally, I've collaborated with multiple university research departments as well as many colleagues with PhDs in electronics and similar disciplines. Many of them are breath-taking geniuses. I've also worked with some simply brilliant engineers who did not go to University, but who had intrinsic skills for professional engineering.

I've also helped develop apprenticeships with a number of universities and colleges. I believe strongly in apprenticeships. A degree is great, but eliminating a potential source of real-world engineers, simply by rejecting everyone who doesn't have a specific piece of paper is a dangerous approach for governments and technology-based companies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Being hands-on is very important and can lead to great career in the engineering field. Further engineers that lack an understanding of how to prototype and test designs often waste time and money. But there is a lot to said about fully understanding the math, science, numerical modeling, etc. and the rigors of studying for an engineering degree from a university. Right or wrong one is often judged and given credence by having that degree and those without often held back despite any accomplishment.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...professional engineering... But it isn't the only way to become a professional engineer.
It appears that there is a bit of a semantic confusion there.:confused:
You must be speaking from the heart but not from the ;)cranial.
Right or wrong one is often judged and given credence by having that degree and those without often held back despite any accomplishment.
More wrong than right.
A CV becomes much more important but only as a degreed-engineer to get your proverbial foot in the proverbial door.

Top Bottom