• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car Audio: Fixing a 1979 Porsche 924. What would an "audiophile" setup of roughly that era look like? I'm a noob.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a practical standpoint, I never got good 'mileage' out of auto cassettes. In the car, during summer, with windows up, the housing would 'melt' and lose tolerance. After a dozen plays the sound deteriorated. Occasionally the player would malfunction and eat the tape. But all that was easy to put up with because cassettes were cheap and you could make new ones easily--mostly dubs from records. Is anyone even making a decent home cassette deck anymore? Can you get high quality cassettes (high bias and/or metal) anymore?
Yes, there are companies making the cassette tapes, and I have a couple of Kenwood decks that with new belts play (recorded from LP's from my Technics SL-M3 TT) cassettes just fine. I also have 2 AKAI RTR's (one of which [made in 1968] has an 8 track player built into one side of it).
As to a new one (with USB): TASCAM
The 202mkVII's most noteworthy new feature is a rear-panel USB output that enables recording and archiving cassettes to digital media. A front-panel ¼-inch, high-impedance (200 kΩ) microphone input with dedicated level control enables live input to be mixed with Tape 1 audio and recorded, in real time, to Tape 2 for karaoke and voiceover applications. The mic input also can accept line-level signals. In addition to the USB output, the rear panel provides stereo analog line-level input and output on unbalanced RCA connectors. A ¼-inch stereo headphone output with dedicated level knob is conveniently located on the front of the unit.
1607137182203.png

OP
Z

Zerimas

Are you a good DIY mechanic? it sounds like this car is being brought back from the Land of the Dead, or at least Purgatory...

I'm pretty good at reading! :) I brought a 1979 Yamaha XS750 back from "purgatory" (wasn't dead yet, but it needed some work). I never managed to acquire the skills necessary to ride it (it's a large bike for someone who doesn't know how ride them), but I am pretty sure I managed to at least get it to "comatose".

Part of the reason I bought this car, is that it came with a bajillion extra parts (many of the NiB).

Replace the brake pads; check the discs for thickness & runout with a dial indicator.

Amazingly someone appears to have redone the brakes, and put new tires on it (which doesn't make much sense because you couldn't drive it very far in its present condition). Also, someone put new springs on the front struts.

Replace all rubber brake hoses and fuel hoses. This will prevent an untimely death.

I'll have to look at the brake lines, but all the fuel related ones are braided stainless steel. I believe there are also new rubber CV joints in myriad of parts that I have. Heck, there are even some new tie rods. Also included were like basically every gasket, a new water pump (but I think the one in there isn't broken), auxiliary fuel pump (same story), some valves (not sure whether intake or exhaust), extra exhaust manifold, there is even a replacement clock (the one currently works perfectly). I think the only wear part that I don't have a replacement for would be the clutch plate. I think I've even got the bearing to rebuild the torque tube. I've also got an extra dual impeller Bosch fan (which I am not even sure will fit on the radiator)

You can make it very nice if you modify it some - e.g. by putting in a lot of 944S4 parts.

I've seen people do some crazy things with the 924, but the 79 I have would require even more than most would. It has 20mm driveshaft (944 has a 25mm) and matching Audi-sourced transaxle. From what I've read it will just break if you make the engine output more than 160-ish hp. I think this one is gonna remain pretty stock, unless a whole buncha better Porsches happen to all crash in front of my house but the body/frame on the one I currently own is the only usable one of out the bunch. I've only recently acquired the car, but I think to make very sporty the "easiest" (not easy at all) way would be an engine swap, mounting an appropriate transaxle/clutch thing to match it, along with all the rear bits-and-bobs to required attach some rear discs. I don't think it is financially feasible or even sensible (it might be fun though).

I am not sure what the story is with this car exactly. Somehow it has managed to acquire quite a few replacement parts (that I'm not even sure are strictly necessary, because everything on car appears quite), but none of the previous owners ever installed them.

But I promise that you want to replace all the shock absorbers with digressively valved shocks.

I will look into this. This isn't something I've seen discussed.

You want to add butyl sound deadening to cover 25% of each panel. Rap it with your knuckles first and note the resonance. Then stick it on there in and near the center. Rap it again and compare. NO NEED to cover the whole thing. Avoid all in one products, some of which are very popular unless you want to add too much wt. and cost...

This seems like solid advice. I'm not totally sure what it looked like stock, but the parts catalog makes it seem like it was just single layer of some sort of padding between the outer panel and then interior panel.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As to a new one (with USB): TASCAM The 202mkVII's most noteworthy new feature is a rear-panel USB output that enables recording and archiving cassettes...
No Dolby? You could always find B and then C, plus a stillborn S was available on a few higher end units. I'd read that the company is no longer licensing their NR for cassette use. Back in the day JVC and Nakamichi (might be others) had their own proprietary NR solutions. DBX had a system also. Archiving any cassette recorded with Dolby will require some EQ work. I suppose that could be done in the digital domain with the appropriate plug in.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Highly likely that the fuel hoses are PLASTIC with a braided stainless steel cover and poor connectors.

Be very careful and research them.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BTW, you can also get an older, vintage head unit and put a Bluetooth adapter on it for modern music delivery - no idea on SQ, except it has to be better than cassettes.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would do a Nak or maybe Blaupunkt, and just get something nice looking in good cosmetic condition for a decent price. Maybe add BT if I were going to drive the car a lot. And I would always have cassettes, especially home made mix tapes, in the car. I would do exactly what Wes recommended for other electronics.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Blaupunkt or Becker will look more Germanic. OTOH, I have a Nak deck for sale if the OP wants it.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The Blaupunkt or Becker will look more Germanic. OTOH, I have a Nak deck for sale if the OP wants it.
Definitely. I just love Naks. I would just look for something good from the period in ecxellent condition for the best price. Seems like there are a lot of cool decks out there priced well though, so he will still probably have a choice.

What is the vintage of your Nakamichi?

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No Dolby? You could always find B and then C, plus a stillborn S was available on a few higher end units. I'd read that the company is no longer licensing their NR for cassette use. Back in the day JVC and Nakamichi (might be others) had their own proprietary NR solutions. DBX had a system also. Archiving any cassette recorded with Dolby will require some EQ work. I suppose that could be done in the digital domain with the appropriate plug in.

My JVC has Dolby HXPro & my Kenwood Dolby B/C & HXPro.

I don't thing that the frequency response on the TASCAM is all that either:

Wow and Flutter 0.25% (W.RMS) Frequency Response (Overall) High position tape (Type II) 30 to 15k Hz (+/-4dB)Normal tape (Type I) 30 to 13k Hz (+/-4dB)Signal to Noise Ratio (Overall)59dB (at maximum recording level input, A-Weight). I think that cassette type II should go to at least 17K Hz (the reason that most wouldn't go higher is the belief (with good reason) that many would record from FM & that the 19 KHz pilot signal would screw up the tape). But that was a consideration that most but not all cassette decks made.

If you were a person that really liked tape (and it must be new), you could step up to the TASCAM 414mkII:
  • 4 track recorder with 8 input mixer
  • 4 mic/line input channels, 2 stereo inputs
  • 2 XLR mic inputs
  • HiZ guitar input
  • 2 effect sends
  • 2 band EQ on each channel
  • 3 3/4 ips high tape speed
  • dbx noise reduction
  • Optional RC-30P punch-in pedal
  • 14-7/16" x 3-15/16" x 9-3/4" (367 x 1400 x 247 mm)
  • 4-10/16 lbs (2.1 kg)
  • But there is this issue:
  • This model has been discontinued in North, Central and South America.
  • Please check the availability with your local distributors in other areas.
My personal project for the up coming year is to get my ALBUMS (most of which have been played twice [on my Technics SL-M3 [tracking at 1.25 grams], once to check out that the pressing is OK and a second time to record onto cassette and/or RTR) and my 78's onto ARCHIVAL CD'S using my new (bought years ago, made 8 CD's) SONY RCD-W500/W100. Using the Super Bit Mapping function enables recording the equivalent of 24-bit A/D sound by mapping the initial 24-bit A/D conversion to 16-bit without reducing the sound quality. This is made possible by incorporating a noise-shaping filter in the 24-bit A/D converter which has a frequency range designed to cover the range of human hearing.
(according to the operating instructions).
We'll see when I get around to it.
After that project, it will be time to put it all onto an SSD also.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely. I just love Naks. I would just look for something good from the period in ecxellent condition for the best price. Seems like there are a lot of cool decks out there priced well though, so he will still probably have a choice.

What is the vintage of your Nakamichi?

It's a CD One.

OP
Z

Zerimas

t but save your money for things like the rear suspension bushings

I think I may have some of those. The car came with a whole trunkload (and the 924 has a pretty sizable one) of replacement parts. haha. This thing has project potential for years to come. I'm gonna have to inventory those at some point. What I'd really like to source are newer rear struts to add disc brakes/convert it to the "newer" 5 stud wheels, but that is a bit of pipe dream at the moment. It seems like this car has a lot of potential for mucking about with, but I'm not sure how financially feasible/practical it is. The first order of business is getting the replacement air flow meter (on order waiting for it to arrive). Once that is in there and I can assess if the engine bits are knackered (probably not), I guess I can begin installing the myriad of replacement parts this car has acquired and tracking down other missing components.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I may have some of those. The car came with a whole trunkload (and the 924 has a pretty sizable one) of replacement parts. haha. This thing has project potential for years to come. I'm gonna have to inventory those at some point. What I'd really like to source are newer rear struts to add disc brakes/convert it to the "newer" 5 stud wheels, but that is a bit of pipe dream at the moment. It seems like this car has a lot of potential for mucking about with, but I'm not sure how financially feasible/practical it is. The first order of business is getting the replacement air flow meter (on order waiting for it to arrive). Once that is in there and I can assess if the engine bits are knackered (probably not), I guess I can begin installing the myriad of replacement parts this car has acquired and tracking down other missing components.
I don't know about the 924 much. When I worked for the Porsche factory the 944 (as well as the 928) was out & in our training we were told that all Porsche's should be able to not rust/corrode for 20 years. Of course bushings, gaskets, etc are wear parts but the structure should be sound if it had been garaged. I only worked for them for 4-5 years in the 80's, so I cannot confirm the factuality of that but that is what we were told. My most recent older daily driver was a 72 Mustang Grande with a 351 Cleveland & FMX transmission. I got rid of it with over 300K miles on it (it was time for it's first engine rebuild) and I did not have time to deal with the hidden rust, as I lived outside the USA for 17+ years. I now drive a 1996 Dodge Dakota. There are only a few cars newer than that that I even like. The Factory Five Racing 818 comes to mind.

anon2k2

Forum Donor
My best bud in HS had a 1980 924 with the factory radio. It was a standard looking thing with a big volume nob and a big tuning nob on the left/right sides, with an analog tuning indicator "strip" in the middle. I can't remember if the thing had a cassette deck. Pretty standard stuff for the day. I think the step up aftermarket stuff was the Blaupunkt or Nakamichi decks that had "soft-touch" controls (motorized transport buttons).

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

get new ones - suspension bushings, like other rubber product such as tires, age even when sitting "unmolested" in a dark room

rubber contains sulphide bonds which cross-link - they will continue to cross-link over time even if in a nitrogen atmosphere

I dunno if the 944 loads the rubber bushings like a 911 does but I suggest new.

I can supply a photo of a cracked suspension bushing of a 911 with ONLY 600 actual miles on it if you want a shock...

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My best bud in HS had a 1980 924 with the factory radio. It was a standard looking thing with a big volume nob and a big tuning nob on the left/right sides, with an analog tuning indicator "strip" in the middle. I can't remember if the thing had a cassette deck. Pretty standard stuff for the day. I think the step up aftermarket stuff was the Blaupunkt or Nakamichi decks that had "soft-touch" controls (motorized transport buttons).
I worked for the Porsche Factory from 84-88 (maybe 89). The unit I have would have been available on the 944, 944S & 944 Turbo. But, as I stated, I was out of the country (away from my home in the USA). From 2001-2018. I have not yet gone looking for things that are not something i directly need. So I do not know if it is cassette (my preferred automotive medium at the time) or CD.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it's a 924 not a 911

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i know a bunch of 928 guys and they don't try to duplicate old stereo setups. they just sound too crap. they typically put 5-800w into a modern setup with custom speaker fitment (3d printed these days, used to be machined) so they can enjoy the 5 days a year they find enough time to stop working on the car long enough to drive it ;)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He just needs to duplicate the look and maybe feel of a period correct head unit. Maybe German speaker grills too.

Top Bottom