• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Capacitor distortion

PlasticDoc

In audio? Probably a lot of hot air and bullshit (other than my own debunking of "capacitor sound" for coupling caps). Capacitor choice is a matter of engineering for the application, which "audiophiles" have no real interest in learning about.
Case for Uh huh?

egellings

Major Contributor
Case for Uh huh?
The non-engineering audiophile may not be able to understand an engineering analysis of different capacitor types and their applications, so the person just decides to believe in something that sounds plausible, often made so by tossing sciency sounding words around in ads for magic cowpasitures.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
In audio? Probably a lot of hot air and bullshit (other than my own debunking of "capacitor sound" for coupling caps). Capacitor choice is a matter of engineering for the application, which "audiophiles" have no real interest in learning about.

Capacitors as an obsession is a weird cultural thing in fashion audio. I can blame Dick Marsh for much of it, but he was in it for the money and managed to do quite well pumping the superstition machine.
And then came "audio capacitors" and the belief that audio electronics was different than other electronics. So out came boutique companies with limited resources, knowledge, and manufacturing capabilities and experience compared to the major manufacturers that have been designing and making millions of capacitors for over 60? years. There only Forte was marketing.

MCH

Major Contributor
And then came "audio capacitors" and the belief that audio electronics was different than other electronics. So out came boutique companies with limited resources, knowledge, and manufacturing capabilities and experience compared to the major manufacturers that have been designing and making millions of capacitors for over 60? years. There only Forte was marketing.
To be fair, established producers also contributed
Screenshot_20240304-152913.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Yes, unfortunately they have been caught up in the BS. There in business to make money, and thats what they pay the marketing department for. Do they say what properties make them special, what function there for, bypass, coupling, power supply? All I see is "audio equipment"
And the data sheet (most searches bring up audiophool sites) I pulled up says this:
"Ideally suited for first class audio equipment where qualitative and quantitative
comfortableness is required"
WTF?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Some others have gone a VERY long way with caps,or better say ultracaps.

Folks,2 x 310 F (yes,Farads,it's not a mistake :facepalm:) :

1709638526698.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
3 volts max each and only store .375wh of energy each. So using 3.75 watts the the 2 of them last 12 minutes, if you can use them down to .1 volts.

Top Bottom