• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Canal type IEM recommendations?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at some IEMs to wear during workouts. I love the sound of the KSE1200 and the IE900, but my head is shaped in such a way that both have nozzles too shallow to maintain seal for more than 2-3 minutes.

Currently using the IEM-Z1R, fits perfect but to my ears the Shure and Sennheiser sound so much better. Any recommendations around "canal type" IEMs given my preferences?

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Etymotic IEMs would work. They come with triple flange tips and maintain a seal very well with deep insertion.

Thanks - I tried the ER4XR and it might be the worst IEM I've ever heard. I almost wonder if I got a bad one because they are almost universally praised at their price point. The fit was excellent, though!

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I struggle with shallow iems and I found the Mangird Tea to have a perfect fit, having a long nozzle. And the sound signatures is extremely tasteful and fun.

dufferdan

Thanks - I tried the ER4XR and it might be the worst IEM I've ever heard. I almost wonder if I got a bad one because they are almost universally praised at their price point. The fit was excellent, though!
I bought a pair of ER-4P in 2007. They have been my go-to iPod headphone for airline travel and private listening since. Very flat, but accurate as all get out.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
The pseudo-CIEM-shaped Moondrop Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk, Variaitons, and Softears Volume, RSV have quite large nozzles. Most IEM have 4-5mm nozzle diameter but these are 6-7mm. Some actually find them too large to wear. I have owned the Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk and RSV. To me they have the most secure fit ever. Paring them with a pair of Bluetooth earhooks I can play basketball wearing them.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at some IEMs to wear during workouts. I love the sound of the KSE1200 and the IE900, but my head is shaped in such a way that both have nozzles too shallow to maintain seal for more than 2-3 minutes.

Currently using the IEM-Z1R, fits perfect but to my ears the Shure and Sennheiser sound so much better. Any recommendations around "canal type" IEMs given my preferences?

Having heard the KSE1200 and IER-Z1R plus the better fit for larger nozzle diameter, IMHO you'll like the Oriolus Traillii IEM that I've demoed as it's a hybrid mix of Z1R subbass and KSE1200 treble timbre.

7D6E578E-0699-4016-846F-6F160D4E32DC.jpeg

Tks

Major Contributor
All IEM's non-custom fail with respect to this tired old IEM nozel paradigm. What they should be doing is going without a nozel, and having the actual tips have a built-in slightly firmer nozel built-in. Firm enough to bend to the ear shape somewhat, but not too firm to create annoying hotspots. Apple offers such solution.

Audio companies yet again failing to wake the hell up. Which is wierd considering how many companies try to follow Apple, but sadly, it seems when things are actually impressive, they fail to try and emulate.

Kinda reminds me of how companies also are still sleeping with respect to DAC+AMP all-in-one units. How many years and we still see no remote competitor to the RME ADI 2 DAC's feature set?

DSCF8434.jpg

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The pseudo-CIEM-shaped Moondrop Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk, Variaitons, and Softears Volume, RSV have quite large nozzles. Most IEM have 4-5mm nozzle diameter but these are 6-7mm. Some actually find them too large to wear. I have owned the Blessing 2, Blessing 2 Dusk and RSV. To me they have the most secure fit ever. Paring them with a pair of Bluetooth earhooks I can play basketball wearing them.

Where did you land in the end? Moondrop really impressed me for the price, but since i like the IER-z1R more and I already own them I didn't bother making the change. Because I agree with crincacle's rankings more often than not, I hunted down a Monarch II but no amount of effort could get the bass to sound as good as my Sony's.

Having heard the KSE1200 and IER-Z1R plus the better fit for larger nozzle diameter, IMHO you'll like the Oriolus Traillii IEM that I've demoed as it's a hybrid mix of Z1R subbass and KSE1200 treble timbre.

Based on the FR and reviews, I see what you mean; unfortunately that price is literally insulting to me. Maybe if I saw a set of pristine measurements I'd be willing to hunt down a great deal on a used/b-stock - have you seen any independent measurements, by chance? RAA is the only site I know of doing comprehensive IEM measurements

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Etymotics are the best canal type IEM's if that's the form factor the OP is seeking.

dc655321

Major Contributor

Would you consider custom iems?
I have 64 Audio A12t and enjoy the fit and sound very much.

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you consider custom iems?
I have 64 Audio A12t and enjoy the fit and sound very much.

Definitely, it's just so hard to know if it's worth the extra cost. There is a thread on here somewhere soliciting objective data around custom fitted IEMs, and it's gotten 0 useful replies. Not to say the data isn't out there, just hasn't floated to the surface yet. Between that, and the fact that I know it's only a matter of time before I feel the urge to "upgrade" and I imagine custom fit are near impossible to sell, I've kind of dismissed the idea.

May be worth noting, the OP is a bit dated. Since I wrote it, I've discovered SpinFit 100's and Sedna Ear tips both of which improved the fit of my Sony's dramatically. I prefer the SpinFits but I get a little chaffing in my ear canal after a few days of use. The Sednas don't fit as snuggly, but they do get a good-enough seal with barely any insertion into the canal so I use those most of the time and the SpinFits if I know I'll be sweating alot (long bike rides during summer, etc) as they won't slide out

Earfonia

Just for fun, you can try Moondrop Quarks, micro driver for deep insertion, only around $13. For sure it won't compete those high-end IEMS you mentioned earlier. But for $13 I honestly quite impressed with Quarks. Just for me I prefer the treble to be a little sharper, but the rest, for $13, I'm quite impressed. And it is so small and light, inserted deep into ear canal, it won't drop out during workout.

Compared to the Etymotic ER4XR and ER2XR:
Moondrop Quarks - Etymotic ER4XR - Etymotic ER2XR.png

Compared to my target curve EITC-2021 and Harman Target IE 2019:
Moondrop Quarks - EITC-2021 - Harman Target IE 2019.png

Top Bottom