• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B & W 703 S2 receiver and amplifier suggestions + bi amp or no?

Mydogiscuter

Hello,

I have quite a few questions, but the focus of this thread is what kind of setup should I use for these speakers. I just picked up Bowers and Wilkins 703 S2 as open box units from Best buy for $1,200. So I think I got quite a steal.

Please note the speaker has the jumper bus between the two sets of inputs right now.

Right now I'm thinking about getting the denon 4700H, I see 2 online sites which other people reviewed well that have the unit refurbished for about $1,000. The 4800 would cost about 200 more and I've read it's not really worth it.

Now the problem is I was initially going to get the 2 channel monolith amplifier for $294 on sale, or the 3 for $350 for my future center. Then I thought why not pumping an extra hundred and get the five channel and then use that to bi amp the speakers with the denon preouts.

I have read that you cannot use the denim pre-outs and buy amp the speakers.

Another user reported that they decided not to buy amp the speakers in order to use an external amplifier.
I'm just making the inference, but it seems to me like it's very difficult to find an external amp that would allow you to bi amp, is this accurate?

Marantz - PM6007 155W 2-Ch Stereo Integrated Amplifier

The thing is I found this marantz amplifier that I could buy as an open box unit for about $600 and I noticed that on its left and right input it has two sets of outputs, which it seems to define mores bi wiring.

I was thinking maybe I should get this amplifier and significantly downgrade my receiver, I saw some pretty good open box deals for around $700

Can somebody please fill me in and help me decide? Do I go with the Denon 4700h and bi amp by speakers, or do I get the 4700h and pick up the monolith amplifier and just regular wire the speakers, or do I get the marantz amplifier and pick up a lower end receiver or stick with the 4700h?

Right now due to budgetary concerns, I'm only going to have these two speakers, but obviously I'd like to expand eventually.

Lastly, is a complete side note, would the Klipsch reference series 200 watt subwoofer Make a good match into the system, or is there something for $300 that would be more recommended?

Somebody stole everything in my house including the TV and my previous EMP tek and RBH setup so I'm unfortunately starting my whole system from scratch and no insurance payout, so I'm definitely on a budget but my on top of it my mom received a stage 4 cancer diagnosis last week so I need to get something really good or will never forgive myself. My budget for the amplifier and receiver together is $2000, if I could spend less I would really like it as I'm stretched quite then.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_043634228.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240106_043634228.MP.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 27

Platypus20

Forum Donor
There is no simple answer, can it work, yes it can, will it be beneficial, it depends. The integration of 2 different brands or types of amps can be tricky. I did it on a set of B&Ws and a set of Sony speakers and I saw no real difference, using 2 identical Hafler amps. How would you drive the second amp? Mine are off a common preamp.

i have 2 sets of biamped speakers, a set of Acarian Alon IVs, using 2 Benchmark AHB2s, one amp driving the sealed box LF drivers and the second driving the the mids and the hf drivers. The seconds set is a set of KEF R3 Metas, again driven by 2 AHB2s, split in the same LF/HF configuration. I think they work great wired this way.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mydogiscuter

Could you share with me some of the wiring details of that? Besides the front left and front right outputs, which other outputs are you using and what are they identified as in the receiver? Okay I'm ready

I know I call it bi amping, but I'm actually having a lot of confusion with the whole thing in that my plan was always to use a single amp to achieve that goal.

That's why I really liked how the denon 4700 clearly gives you an option in the menu to make one of the high channels a bi amp selection and then does something where it optimizes the wiring.

I think I also have a lot of confusion here in that even though it says bi amping I thought that I could just use a five channel amp and four of its outputs to achieve the same effect, after all, that is what the receiver does.

What I was considering doing was wiring the pre-outs on the denon to a 5 channel amplifier and then using 2 of those channels for each of the speakers. But I read in another thread that this was ill advised.

I guess it would also really help to know if it actually was an option and how I would set it up, as in I know that I would use the front left and the front right output from the Denon pre put to the amp to the speaker.

What I do not know is which second pre output I could use on the Denon to the amplifier to the speaker.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Strictly a 2 channel stereo system, no receiver, a preamp driving 2 identical amps. My stereo has no TV or computer connection, it just music

Top Bottom