• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My RT60 measurements and acoustic room treatment advice

dftkell

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of AVS forum for a couple decades. I recently discovered Audio Science Review and love the objectivity and science here.

I have been setting up and tweaking my 5.2 system for a long time now. While the room is a balance of sound and aesthetics, I have been considering adding some absorption and diffusion to see what improvements I can get. I have read Toole's book and read posts on this forum and I'm hoping to hear advice from knowledgeable members.

I used REW to measure the RT60 in my room from the right and left speaker. The room is very irregular with sloped ceilings rising to the center of the room and an open stairway on one side. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret and address what I'm seeing in the RT60 graphs--how bad/good does this currently look? How much treatment would help? Balance of absorption and diffusion? etc.

I am attaching the RT60 graphs as well as FR graphs with VAR smoothing and a photo walk-around-the-room.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

Attachments

• RT60 Left Speaker.png
    RT60 Left Speaker.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 84
  • RT60 Right speaker.png
    RT60 Right speaker.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 85
  • RT60 Overlay.png
    RT60 Overlay.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 83
  • FR Left Speaker.png
    FR Left Speaker.png
    404.6 KB · Views: 77
  • FR up to 200hz Left Speaker.png
    FR up to 200hz Left Speaker.png
    381 KB · Views: 77
  • FR Right Speaker.png
    FR Right Speaker.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 65
  • FR up to 200hz Right Speaker.png
    FR up to 200hz Right Speaker.png
    386.7 KB · Views: 92

PeterNL

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of AVS forum for a couple decades. I recently discovered Audio Science Review and love the objectivity and science here.

I have been setting up and tweaking my 5.2 system for a long time now. While the room is a balance of sound and aesthetics, I have been considering adding some absorption and diffusion to see what improvements I can get. I have read Toole's book and read posts on this forum and I'm hoping to hear advice from knowledgeable members.

I used REW to measure the RT60 in my room from the right and left speaker. The room is very irregular with sloped ceilings rising to the center of the room and an open stairway on one side. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret and address what I'm seeing in the RT60 graphs--how bad/good does this currently look? How much treatment would help? Balance of absorption and diffusion? etc.

I am attaching the RT60 graphs as well as FR graphs with VAR smoothing and a photo walk-around-the-room.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!
Please, repost FR graph with 50dB scale and 10-20000Hz:
2.jpg

OP
D

dftkell

Here is the FR graph with limits. Left, right and overlay if that helps. Thanks!

Attachments

• Left speaker.png
    Left speaker.png
    520.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Right speaker.png
    Right speaker.png
    481 KB · Views: 104
  • Overlay left and right speaker.png
    Overlay left and right speaker.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 99

ozzy9832001

100hz-200hz is very humpy, so that's the area I'd focus on. Is one sidewall external and/or made of a different material?

Also, 2 subs in the middle may not be the best placement for them. May get better performance moving one to a sidewall or the back part of the room. I'd experiment with that and the Xover frequency because that could help to smoothen some of the 100-200hz range a bit more.

OP
D

dftkell

Yes, the right wall is external. The front wall is external too.

I had previously measured one sub in front in a few locations while one sub was in the rear of the room in a couple locations—as many combos as I could. I used REW. Two in the front turned out to be best. I just had the gain on the plate amps (they are identical) equal. I did not level match them and I’m questioning if I should have.

I plan on buying a minidsp now. And I’m wondering if I should try moving one to the back again and keeping one under the TV. (Having it block one of the windows isn’t an option) And then seeing how that does.

Top Bottom