• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can audiophiles control Tensor tympani

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can do it. It’s generally a useless thing, except when the ear feels plugged. It can help you get them unplugged a bit. Can be useful during flight takeoff.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora
It might equally improve your lower bass hearing was your brain does a real-time room node correction :)

I saw the 10-20% somewhere without a clear reference. Now that I try searching for it, it seems like it was an AI generated auto summary of a webpage and not accurate.

When looking again, I saw this

Which identified 43% out of 192 people surveyed.

Last edited:

Neuro

All audiophiles can and should control the tensor tympani muscle.
Do like Toole and Olive listen to sound levels around 80 dB. At about 85 dB, m tensor tympani starts to have a non-linear effect on the smallest bones of the body - i.e. produces physiological distortion.
Furthermore, below 85 dB, the masking effects are significantly less prominent. More subtle low pressure sound details in the sound are perceived.
When listening at sound levels well above 85 dB the sound may be mistakenly perceived as less distorting due to physiological masking.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When listening at sound levels well above 85 dB the sound may be mistakenly perceived as less distorting due to physiological masking.
Wait. Doesn’t This means that I should evaluate speakers at 80 dB but when listening for enjoyment, the best solution is lowering the ambient noise of the listening area and then choosing 70 dB to get the BENEFIT of physiological distortion reduction?

sq225917

Major Contributor
I can make them move and make a dull whooshing sound but only with my eyes all scrunched up.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can make them move and make a dull whooshing sound but only with my eyes all scrunched up.
When you scrunch your eyes, there is a certain threshold. But what if you close your eyes and it isn’t loud enough for you to reach your audible threshold but it still attenuates the bass?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I scrunch my eyes and slightly clench my teeth, I hear a moderately loud rumble. As a kid, would swim to bottom of our public pool (12 ft) and recover coins and other items. Not sure if this may have affected my hearing but I thought others might be able hear me do. I think this may have been when I discovered this capability. Given the low frequency, fantasized I was Aquaman! :D

A member poll may be interesting but wonder whether it may be difficult for folks to understand how to reproduce. In my case, am thinking I may just have an audiologist test me. Personally am more interested to know whether this ability introduces some major difference in my hearing vs the general population. :eek:

Has anyone here had a hearing test and found unusual results?

Top Bottom