• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone recommend a good turntable w/ cartridge that costs less than $1k?

C. Cook

I've inherited a ton of old vinyl from my dad and finally have room for a turntable in the living room. Plan is to buy a decent phono stage pre-amp and use one of the Nobosound switch boxes to select between the RME DAC and the turntable/preamp.

I usually buy used but have very little knowledge or experience with turntables, at least not in the past 35 years. Any rec's would be appreciated.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Rega makes some solid turntables. The Planar 1 and Planar 2 are both under $1k. But both are light on features. They claim the focus is on quality of the motor, plinth, tonearm, etc. and they keep the cost reasonable by eliminating the other features. (e.g., no auto-return.) I bought an upgraded RP1 about 6-7 years ago that I've been very happy with. The speed is just a hair off (a tiny bit fast) but considering I paid ~$300 for it new I can't complain.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Fluance tables are perfectly serviceable. The $250 RT81 comes with a VM95E cartridge that works fine, and you can put a microline or Shibata stylus on it if you want to throw money at it. The upper variants have Ortofons I've never been interested in and a nice Nagaoka that you could get more cheaply separately. The Fluances take common detachable headshells so you can play with cartridge-swapping to your heart's content.

You can also still find decent used decks but you may need to clean them up. I certainly would stick with newer rather than older, and simpler models have less parts to break.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Have you guys ever heard of U-Turn Audio? I'm reading some interesting positive reviews of their products. I'm still shopping for the TT but I ended up buying a Cambridge Audio Duo for $299 just now based on Amir's measurements and recommendation and bc it will work with both MM and MC.

radix

Major Contributor
I've inherited a ton of old vinyl from my dad and finally have room for a turntable in the living room. Plan is to buy a decent phono stage pre-amp and use one of the Nobosound switch boxes to select between the RME DAC and the turntable/preamp.

I usually buy used but have very little knowledge or experience with turntables, at least not in the past 35 years. Any rec's would be appreciated.

Which RME do you have? If it's the ADI-2 FS, there's already an analog input you could use. I'm not clear on how you would use the nobosound switch? Do you already have an analog preamp with volume control? Wouldn't that already have extra inputs?

Decide if you want any automation, like auto play (i.e. press a button and it moves needle to record) or auto-return (i.e. at end of record, tonearm returns to cradle). Most (all?) of the Rega are full manual. Thorens has some full auto and semi-auto (return only).

You can find deals on audiomart. Hifiheaven.net has quite a few display models and manufacturer referb on sale. Their web site is not so easy to navigate, but if you call them they can help.

If you are not comfortable installing and aligning a cartridge, I'd recommend ordering the TT and cartridge from the same place and have them balance and align it. It's not too hard, but you do need a few extra pieces of gear.

The Cambridge phono preamp measures pretty well and is inexpensive.

Some TTs are line-level out nowadays (e.g. the Rega planar 1 plus). I've not used the Rega planar 1 plus and don't now how it measures, but you can get an open box for $600 (that's the TT, built-in phono stage, and manufacturer cartridge, i.e. everything!).

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I haven't heard of U-Turn, but Amir has reviewed a couple of their pre-amps and they seem solid. If you bought one of their turntables you wouldn't need the Cambridge Audio Duo though: I believe all of their turntables come with a built-in phono pre-amp.
They also sell them without the built in phono stage. I would prefer to go that route because I want a traditional volume knob and the ones that U-Turn makes don't look like they have them. I'm way out of touch these days with the vinyl scene, how would I control the volume if I'm using a built in phono preamp and connecting it straight to a Hypex based power amp w/ no volume control of its own?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Which RME do you have? If it's the ADI-2 FS, there's already an analog input you could use. I'm not clear on how you would use the nobosound switch? Do you already have an analog preamp with volume control? Wouldn't that already have extra inputs?

Decide if you want any automation, like auto play (i.e. press a button and it moves needle to record) or auto-return (i.e. at end of record, tonearm returns to cradle). Most (all?) of the Rega are full manual. Thorens has some full auto and semi-auto (return only).

You can find deals on audiomart. Hifiheaven.net has quite a few display models and manufacturer referb on sale. Their web site is not so easy to navigate, but if you call them they can help.

If you are not comfortable installing and aligning a cartridge, I'd recommend ordering the TT and cartridge from the same place and have them balance and align it. It's not too hard, but you do need a few extra pieces of gear.

The Cambridge phono preamp measures pretty well and is inexpensive.

Some TTs are line-level out nowadays (e.g. the Rega planar 1 plus). I've not used the Rega planar 1 plus and don't now how it measures, but you can get an open box for $600 (that's the TT, built-in phono stage, and manufacturer cartridge, i.e. everything!).
Nah I don't have a pre-amp, just the RME ADI-2. Mine doesn't have an analog input, but if it did, would I still need a separate phono preamp? My plan is to do the following:

Get a TT without a built in preamp.

Connect turntable to Cambridge Audio preamp w/ volume knob

Send the RCA outs from the CA to a nobosound switch I have which is I think the same one Amir tested in the past

Send the XLR outs from the nobosound to the XLR-only Hypex based power amp.

Does that sound like the right way to go in my situation? I don't care about the automation stuff. I really don't want to go down this new road at all to be honest, but as I mentioned I have a TON of vinyl coming my way and I don't want it to be a waste. But I also don't want to spend a fortune.

radix

Major Contributor
Nah I don't have a pre-amp, just the RME ADI-2. Mine doesn't have an analog input, but if it did, would I still need a separate phono preamp? My plan is to do the following:

Get a TT without a built in preamp.

Connect turntable to Cambridge Audio preamp w/ volume knob

Send the RCA outs from the CA to a nobosound switch I have which is I think the same one Amir tested in the past

Send the XLR outs from the nobosound to the XLR-only Hypex based power amp.

Does that sound like the right way to go in my situation? I don't care about the automation stuff. I really don't want to go down this new road at all to be honest, but as I mentioned I have a TON of vinyl coming my way and I don't want it to be a waste. But I also don't want to spend a fortune.

OK, sure. that would work. You'd use inexpensive RCA to XLR cables from the CA preamp, should be no problem. I've not used a switch box going right into an amp -- my only concern is it might make a pop sound if it lifts the ground to the amp. If you've seen someone use it like that, then no problem.

You should also get an LP cleaner, basically a cleaning liquid and rounded pad to remove dust and such. They usually have a little brush to clean the needle if it gets gunk on it from a record.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

OK, sure. that would work. You'd use inexpensive RCA to XLR cables from the CA preamp, should be no problem. I've not used a switch box going right into an amp -- my only concern is it might make a pop sound if it lifts the ground to the amp. If you've seen someone use it like that, then no problem.

You should also get an LP cleaner, basically a cleaning liquid and rounded pad to remove dust and such. They usually have a little brush to clean the needle if it gets gunk on it from a record.
The cool thing about the nobosound switch is that it will convert the RCA to XLR if I understand its functionality correctly. It has two XLR ins and one RCA in along with the corresponding number and type of outs. Pretty sure it'll do what I'm aiming for, but I also have some RCA to XLR adapter cables laying around somewhere.

Thus the overall system would become both the cambridge audio phono preamp and the RME ADI-2 plugged into the nobosound's RCA and one of the XLR inputs respectively, with a single pair of XLR cables exiting the nobosound and plugging into the power amp with only XLR inputs.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A 'phono preamp' generally just brings the cartridge output to line level and applies RIAA equalization. It's not generally a full-blown preamp, although some full-blown preamps (and integrated amps, and recievers) have a phono preamp inside them. Fancy phono preamps may have gain controls but that's to match varying cartridge outputs to line level out. (Or it's for the headphone jack, IIRC the case with the Cambridge, and the volume knob doesn't control the line outs that you're planning on using.)

MCH

Major Contributor
Another route that might provide easier integration in some cases is to digitalize the output of the phone preamp or even digitalize and stream

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

A 'phono preamp' generally just brings the cartridge output to line level and applies RIAA equalization. It's not generally a full-blown preamp, although some full-blown preamps (and integrated amps, and recievers) have a phono preamp inside them. Fancy phono preamps may have gain controls but that's to match varying cartridge outputs to line level out. (Or it's for the headphone jack, IIRC the case with the Cambridge, and the volume knob doesn't control the line outs that you're planning on using.)
Interesting. That would jibe with what I'm seeing w/ other phono stage preamps. No volume control. I'll have to check on that for the Cambridge. If so, that sucks, I really didn't want to have to buy a bunch of equipment because I inherited some LPs. Sigh...guess I'll look into passive volume controls/preamps.

radix

Major Contributor
The Duo has a nominal output of 300 mV, which will be pretty low. Most amps expect a 2V signal for 0 dB. That looks about in-line with what Amir measured for the Solo (he used a 5 mV input and got a 436 mV output).

radix

Major Contributor
Interesting. That would jibe with what I'm seeing w/ other phono stage preamps. No volume control. I'll have to check on that for the Cambridge. If so, that sucks, I really didn't want to have to buy a bunch of equipment because I inherited some LPs. Sigh...guess I'll look into passive volume controls/preamps.
You could try a TT with line-level output and get an inexpensive analog-to-digital converter and hook it up to your RME. Here's a couple examples. I've not used any of these, I'm going by manufacturer specs.
I know 0.01% THD+N does not seem fantastic, but I think that's still over 20x better than vinyl.

I'm sure there's a zillion vintage preamp units with MM input and line-level preamp output, but I don't know that market well enough to recommend something specific. They would likely be larger than you want too.

There are also TT with USB output that you could hookup directly to a computer and play via whatever digital path you have. There's others that play via BT.

radix

Major Contributor
One final thought, you could use something like a $49 Schiit SYS for preamp volume with the Cambridge Duo, but I'd probably just get a TT with line level out plus the SYS. You can also use the SYS as the switch box, or use the one you found for RCA to balanced.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

One final thought, you could use something like a $49 Schiit SYS for preamp volume with the Cambridge Duo, but I'd probably just get a TT with line level out plus the SYS. You can also use the SYS as the switch box, or use the one you found for RCA to balanced.

Yeah, so I ended up canceling the Cambridge Duo and ordered a U-Turn TT with built-in line level outs and I'm going to look into something like the Nobosound T3 because I want active gain/volume control. Any concerns with that approach?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Duo has a nominal output of 300 mV, which will be pretty low. Most amps expect a 2V signal for 0 dB. That looks about in-line with what Amir measured for the Solo (he used a 5 mV input and got a 436 mV output).
That's about right, as most LPs are cut much higher than the nominal 5cm/s that cartridge sensitivities are specified at. A nominal output of 300mV could easily be 2-3V on reasonably hot LPs. Digital has a hard limit of 2V at 0dBFS and won't go higher, whilst LP can be at any arbitrary level, but generally below 20dB above 5cm/s.

S

radix

Major Contributor
Yeah, so I ended up canceling the Cambridge Duo and ordered a U-Turn TT with built-in line level outs and I'm going to look into something like the Nobosound T3 because I want active gain/volume control. Any concerns with that approach?

That Nobsound preamp is a MM turntable preamp. If you bought a TT with line out, that is not what you want. You want something like the Schiit SYS, which is a line-level volume control.

MCH

Major Contributor
You have a well regarded dac with preamp, eq, everything you need top notch. Just find a phono preamp or a turntable with spdif out, plug it to your rme and call it a day :)

Top Bottom