• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a buzzing transformer be fixed?

popej

I have realized, that this amp is quite powerful. Building autotransformer could be expensive. I would rather take opportunity to experiment with something like class D amplifier with DSP, see thread here:

OP
G

guy48065

I have realized, that this amp is quite powerful. Building autotransformer could be expensive. I would rather take opportunity to experiment with something like class D amplifier...
That's actually what I've done.
I bought a Fosi V3 to see what all the excitement is about and so far have tested it as my sub amp. It seems to drive my subs to the same levels as the 200wpc ST400 did (which never got anywhere close to full output before my 150wpc amp on the satellites clipped). The only 'problem' is it looks silly sitting where the ST400 did. Lol

So for now the V3 is killing it on bass. Maybe if I can quiet the buzz on the ST400 it might return to 'anchor' my mostly-1983 system again.

D

Deleted member 48726

That's actually what I've done.
I bought a Fosi V3 to see what all the excitement is about and so far have tested it as my sub amp. It seems to drive my subs to the same levels as the 200wpc ST400 did (which never got anywhere close to full output before my 150wpc amp on the satellites clipped). The only 'problem' is it looks silly sitting where the ST400 did. Lol

So for now the V3 is killing it on bass. Maybe if I can quiet the buzz on the ST400 it might return to 'anchor' my mostly-1983 system again.
Sacrilege! :eek:

egellings

Major Contributor
Would it be possible to mount the xfmr on rubber shock absorbing mounts, like grommets, of some sort? That would keep the xfmr from mechanically exciting the enclosure, which could well be what is radiating most of the noise.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Would it be possible to mount the xfmr on rubber shock absorbing mounts, like grommets, of some sort? That would keep the xfmr from mechanically exciting the enclosure, which could well be what is radiating most of the noise.
Interesting, some damping material of some kind, something of rubber maybe between the transformer and the chassis. Well, it could be a thought. I wonder how it works in practice?

egellings

Major Contributor
Interesting, some damping material of some kind, something of rubber maybe between the transformer and the chassis. Well, it could be a thought. I wonder how it works in practice?
It's an easy experiment to do. Try it and report your findings.

OP
G

guy48065

Eh not so easy in reality. I think the transformer goes in first because it's pretty buried, wires very short, all zip-tied in place. Getting the mounting screws out will involve a socket, extension & a magnet.

So grommets might not be possible but I'm sure I can sneak some rubber under it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom