• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable measurement

boxerfan88

Every single test Alpha Audio has done is exactly the same; measuring differences that are totally irrelevant to audio and claiming correlation to their "listening test".

They're the very definition of pseudoscientists.

Long time no see. Glad to see u post here. Hope you're well!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am just so curious to see how the "measurements" is going to be used to explain/support the "results/conclusion". I find it fascinating to learn how scientific information can be "twisted" to support some of these "interesting" narratives.
Indeed it is fascinating. The usual MO is like this:

- Look here: I measured X
- Hand waving...
- Therefore it sounds different

Except that the hand is like one of those AI-generated ones:
Header-L-316a743.jpg

Gibsonian

"Allow 15% of your audio system budget for cables" is a common suggestion amongst audiophiles.

Goofballs are screwing themselves over on things of much better value that they could be spending their money on. It's a profit driven misinformation thing. Think of all the things the people of this earth believe because they are fed misinformation. This but one.

Geert

Major Contributor
There are numerous other little glitches throughout the video that to me imply a lack of knowledge and application of the tools.

The guy is a journalist with no formal education in EE. 2 years ago he started assembling a lab to prove differences between audio components can be measured. He believes he's doing groundbreaking research not realizing the outcomes of his experiments are totally predictable. He also never shows the relevance of what's being measured or observed. That's left to the fantasy of his audience, who luckily for him don't know any better and see audiophile believes being confirmed. And that's the objective.

"If you can't convince them confuse them".

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The guy is a journalist with no formal education in EE. 2 years ago he started assembling a lab to prove differences between audio components can be measured. He believes he's doing groundbreaking research not realizing the outcomes of his experiments are totally predictable. He also never shows the relevance of what's being measured or observed. That's left to the fantasy of his audience, who luckily for him don't know any better and see audiophile believes being confirmed. And that's the objective.

"If you can't convince them confuse them".
Good to know. The world is full of folk without formal training who feel they know better than those who have such training. An AP analyzer would do for the components, and a decent low-frequency VNA (vector network analyzer) for cables. A standard 100 MHz DSO and some signal generators for fun stuff. And a decent DMM.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Low distortion audio interfaces do well as test instruments for audio cables.
Yes, I left that off my list... A decent sound card or audio interface and appropriate software will do a lot of audio testing, cables and otherwise.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any additional comments?

Should we measure in feet or meters?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surprise another cable tread :)

Just to point out the general trend around here.........

Geert

Major Contributor
Low distortion audio interfaces do well as test instruments for audio cables.

Not if you're convinced transmission line theory applies to audio cables and you're not aware of the relationship between the time and frequency domain ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
My cat Julio loves to bite cables. He creates flaws, right through the insulation and dielectric. Little b#stard.

The more expensive and vital, the greater the likelihood they will be bitten.
Kable Killer Kitty!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My cat Julio loves to bite cables. He creates flaws, right through the insulation and dielectric. Little b#stard.

The more expensive and vital, the greater the likelihood they will be bitten.
Is his propensity to chew also directly proportional to the voltage within?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Is his propensity to chew also directly proportional to the voltage within?

I know what you're thinking. You should see what he did to white box-fan power leads- when they were plugged in! Somehow he's still alive.

I imagined what would happen if 240V AC were to be applied when his razor sharp teeth pieced the final layer of insulation and contacted the copper. I love him, he's an awesome cat, so I make sure white (his favourite colour) power leads are hidden or unplugged.

He's lying at my feet as I type:
IMG_2895.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know what you're thinking. You should see what he did to white box-fan power leads- when they were plugged in! Somehow he's still alive.

I imagined what would happen if 240V AC were to be applied when his razor sharp teeth pieced the final layer of insulation and contacted the copper. I love him, he's an awesome cat, so I make sure white (his favourite colour) power leads are hidden or unplugged.

He's lying at my feet as I type:
View attachment 353612
Was using an electric chain saw in my yard years ago. My dog didn't like it. Grabbed the power cord about 10 feet behind me and bit it. Saw stopped, and I turned around with him still holding it in his mouth. One side in two pieces the other conductor uninsulated shiny copper. Still in his mouth. I don't know how he didn't get electrocuted. I taped it up and still have it. Later chopped it off to that point with a new plug.

Top Bottom