• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable measurement

Vhond

Any additional comments?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It shows most cables grouped within .1dB as expected. The cables outside that region should be considered deeply flawed.

They make no mention of length matching the different cables, which may tighten the grouping even more.

Blind testing is mentioned, but they show no results from this, and fail to discuss the testing procedure.

Their conclusion that measuring cables is tricky is blatantly false. I could teach a child to press a measurement button and write down the results, the tricky part is educating people about what they mean.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Any additional comments?

Company that sells expensive aftermarket cables attempt to justify expensive aftermarket cables by showing way less than .5db of difference.

There’s my comment

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The cables outside that region should be considered deeply flawed.

My cat Julio loves to bite cables. He creates flaws, right through the insulation and dielectric. Little b#stard.

The more expensive and vital, the greater the likelihood they will be bitten.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Tape measure is really handy.
Keith

D

Deleted member 48726

LOL
Snake oil galore on this site. Didn't know it and I don't want to click or read any further.. Will check if my adblockers work as they should though.

1702901180693.png

1702901369713.png

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My cat Julio loves to bite cables. He creates flaws, right through the insulation and dielectric. Little b#stard.

The more expensive and vital, the greater the likelihood they will be bitten.

Another budding high-end cable connoisseur.

olieb

Any additional comments?

From the text. "And in our blind test, this was also largely apparent."

This seems to be code for: "The statistics of our results was so bad that we do not want to talk about it."

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"Sounds calm and balanced"

Thanks for that, one less link for me to click.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Any additional comments?

Looks like it's the same dudes (same test gear on the shelves) as the ones who made this video:

And yes, speaker cables with funky RCL parameters can have relatively funky interactions with speaker loads. Simple solution: Don't use speaker cables with funky RCL parameters.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Their graph shows 3x amplifiers x 3 cables x 3 speakers. (!)

Chaos listening?

(and I thought I was the crazy one mixing the impossibles)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can measure all sorts of things about cables.

I can measure the length, the conductor diameter, the insulation diameter, the stiffness, I can look at the materials used, and yes - I can measure the LCR characteristics.

All cables will show some variation in these parameters. This is meaningless - what matters is what do they do AUDIBLY to the sound.

The answer to that question so far in every measurement carried out, where we actually measure what the audio waveforms look like when they come out of the cable (or of the DAC/AMP if digital or power cable) is.... wait for it....

Absolutely nothing.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Their graph shows 3x amplifiers x 3 cables x 3 speakers. (!)

Chaos listening?

(and I thought I was the crazy one mixing the impossibles)
Not only that. I also asked myself if they measured more the different speakers (impedance) interacting with the amp, than the cable effect? (I am too tired to look at all the colored lines and compare on a phone screen).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also asked myself if they measured more the different speakers (impedance) interacting with the amp, than the cable effect?
Of course: it’s amp output impedance + cable impedance together. The cable R will be the dominant factor with a decent amp.

Last edited:

boxerfan88

Pretty elaborate setup to measure cables. Differences can clearly be seen. How audible the difference is yet to be determined. Looking forward to the complete cable test.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty elaborate setup to measure cables. Differences can clearly be seen. How audible the difference is yet to be determined. Looking forward to the complete cable test.

:facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I'm worried when my half a gigahertz pulses get spreed into responding only around a hundred megahertz or so and I get that energy loss at those megahertz and above ranges. The detail loss is night and day no doubt.

"is it audible?....I don't know". Well I'm pretty sure I do know. His time would be better spent jerking off than this fully useless measurebating.

Top Bottom