• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying Gamestop shares

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And to @Ron Texas 's point about gambling, yes, the financial markets are all about gambling, and in particular the derivatives markets - shorts, options, and so on - are divorced from any direct connection to sales or other business fundamentals. Playing the market like this is pretty much exactly like playing blackjack, even down to the analogy of the amateur players who go by "gut" and luck vs the the more informed players who count cards.
Except for the big players who take big risks for big rewards, and if the big risks don't pan out, they can beg the SEC or Congress to give them a bail out.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except for the big players who take big risks for big rewards, and if the big risks don't pan out, they can beg the SEC or Congress to give them a bail out.
They dont have to beg, your elected politicians know very well where their campaign contributions come from and act accordingly.
This is not about big players but rather politicians. If someone went to jail (or shot like in China) and disallowed by law, this would likely subside quickly.. But, just like the speaker of the house buying a ton of stocks in electric car vehicle companies last week just before congress is putting together the list of a huge tax payer subsidization and orders to fit with the green agenda. Of course, this is ok for them but if you did it you will be prosecuted. The politicians (and their buddies) are above the law.
The big players only take what they are given. Focus on the problem, not the people who do what is allowed.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a financial industry money manager. I am an academic who has studied the broad history of financialization, particularly in the U.S. I'm not particularly interested in waving d***s around and instead would be more interested in what you saw in my original comment that you disagree with, since I honestly don't understand what you think we're actually disagreeing about.

OK, I'm curious - are you a historian? Do you focus on financial history?

I'm also curious what muleshead does...

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a financial industry money manager. I am an academic who has studied the broad history of financialization, particularly in the U.S. I'm not particularly interested in waving d***s around and instead would be more interested in what you saw in my original comment that you disagree with, since I honestly don't understand what you think we're actually disagreeing about.
Those who can, do. those who cant, teach Those who cant teach, administrate

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The big players only take what they are given. Focus on the problem, not the people who do what is allowed.

Three points:

(1) Any ethics that starts and ends at merely obeying whatever law one happens to live under is barely an ethics at all.

(2) Moreover, such an ethics is incoherent: if the big players are justified in "taking what they're given", then why are the politicians not? Utter amorality is the final destination of the train you're on.

(3) The "big players" and the institutions they control have exploited their considerable wealth and power to create and perpetuate the problem. No individual player is wholly to blame, nor is anyone who has participated wholly blameless.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Three points:

(1) Any ethics that starts and ends at merely obeying whatever law one happens to live under is barely an ethics at all.

(2) Moreover, such an ethics is incoherent: if the big players are justified in "taking what they're given", then why are the politicians not? Utter amorality is the final destination of the train you're on.

(3) The "big players" and the institutions they control have exploited their considerable wealth and power to create and perpetuate the problem. No individual player is wholly to blame, nor is anyone who has participated wholly blameless.

1. Ethics and money are money are an oxymoron. It corrupts virtually everyone. Ethics - you either have it or you dont, just like morals.
2. please point out where the words justified were written. ITs really helpful to not put words in peoples mouth in order to make your position. You lose credibility. In my opinion, neither are justified and since it does not come natural for most, it needs to start at the top, those that lead the country.
3. Yes, yes they have and are not only allowed to but dont actually have to do anything other than accept what our politicians are giving (2008 bailout for example). Once again since you directed this at me you are so far off base, its laughable. I never said anything about an individual player who is totally to blame more anyone who is participating is wholly blameless but its is a nice quote. Where did you copy that from?

My point is because ethics and morals are not something everyone embraces, it needs to start at the top for those that are not so adept at them. IT wont fix the problem but its better than encouraging and financially rewarding them like they do. Yes, voters still keep voting them in. So, we get what we get. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Ethics and money are money are an oxymoron. It corrupts virtually everyone.
Holding such an attitude is quite reassuring, I presume.
2. please point out where the words justified were written. ITs really helpful to not put words in peoples mouth in order to make your position. You lose credibility. In my opinion, neither are justified and since it does not come natural for most, it needs to start at the top, those that lead the country.
True but dont blame the people who have prospered by what our government has allowed to happen.
I'll leave you to explain the subtle difference between unblameworthy and justified.
3. Yes, yes they have and are not only allowed to but dont actually have to do anything other than accept what our politicians are giving (2008 bailout for example). Once again since you directed this at me you are so far off base, its laughable. I never said anything about an individual player who is totally to blame more anyone who is participating is wholly blameless but its is a nice quote.
Again, I can't really do much but to quote your own words in responding to this:
True but dont blame the people who have prospered by what our government has allowed to happen.
Where did you copy that from?
Quips the person whose previous post was:
My point is because ethics and morals are not something everyone embraces, it needs to start at the top for those that are not so adept at them. IT wont fix the problem but its better than encouraging and financially rewarding them like they do. Yes, voters still keep voting them in. So, we get what we get. We have no one to blame but ourselves.
So, as you had already attempted to argue, the blame rests solely on the political class and those who vote for them, but not at all on those who exploit the system for gain. How convenient given your own purported position.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Fugly...

GameStop, 10 days, 60 minutes, including after hours trades:

1612301876001.png

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to short squeeze some power cables.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I'm curious - are you a historian? Do you focus on financial history?

I'm also curious what muleshead does...
i just posted in the what do you do thread if you are interested. Pretty boring so dont get your expectations too high.
I have strong beliefs ... held loosely

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fugly...

10 days, 60 minutes, including after hours trades:

View attachment 110190
GME i assume?
As stated from statistical data, parabolic arcs follow the 80/50 rules.
They have a 50% chance of retracing 80% of parabolic gains or an 80% probability of retracing 50% of parabolic gains.
IF this is GME, we know which of those played out.
I love it as both sides (speculators and hedgies) got spanked.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
As Big Al said:
"It's a racket. Those stock market guys are crooked."

BTW, I have a great tip on an historic bridge. It's wire cables were made in Borden town, NJ in the 1870s. You can tear down the bridge, and sell the cables by the foot and make millions!

A small donation tells you how..:)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holding such an attitude is quite reassuring, I presume.
As is this trite phrase. Hopefully you feel better about yourself.

I'll leave you to explain the subtle difference between unblameworthy and justified.
Why, you are the one who brought it up and the one with the lack of understanding

Again, I can't really do much but to quote your own words in responding to this:
Then move on and troll someone else.

Quips the person whose previous post was:
If you dont like it dont do it yourself. You hold a double standard. Are you a banker, per chance and just a PS speaker designer on the side?

So, as you had already attempted to argue, the blame rests solely on the political class and those who vote for them, but not at all on those who exploit the system for gain. How convenient given your own purported position.

Please go back to school and study the english language. Additionally you have no clue as you continue to prove, you know nothing of my purported positions. We are in fact in violent agreement except for my point about the politicians holding a portion, if not the majority, of the blame for continuing to allow this to happen. It seems maybe being from AUS you may not have too much intimate knowledge of US financial history,?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
derivatives markets - shorts, options, and so on - are divorced from any direct connection to sales or other business fundamentals

The good news, is that if you understand the math behind Black-Scholes, you'll be way ahead when it comes to Nyquist-Shannon. I knew all that math would come in handy some day.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fugly...

10 days, 60 minutes, including after hours trades:

View attachment 110190
Sad, it gave you a huge warning signal. After the 500 peak, it went on to make a lower low (below $200)} which put the (up) trend in question. As soon, as it made its first lower high at $450 it was toast. Lpwer lows and lower highs = downtrends. Investors that got in early should have been looking to book profits (at least scaling out) after that. Even without much experience most people can understand you want to avoid things (as much as possible) that are going down. Managing risk and preserving capital is job one, not chasing parabolic rises as they ALWAYS eventually end in tears.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What a surprising, creative, and substantive response. No one could've seen that coming.

And not to lose sight of the issue here, what from my original comment were you disagreeing with? That's the strange and sad part of your responses here - it's not like I'm insisting you're wrong about something and demanding you prove it: I'm literally asking, as @BDWoody has had to ask you in reference to your response to one of his comments, what exactly you're disagreeing about.

Pointing out what one knows is not useful or meaningful communication. It becomes meaningful when one clearly relates it to what others have said. Without that, folks can understand perfectly well what you're saying, but they have no idea why you're saying it.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The good news, is that if you understand the math behind Black-Scholes, you'll be way ahead when it comes to Nyquist-Shannon. I knew all that math would come in handy some day.
it does help but you have to realize it was only established and applicable to options and futures not stock trading. This had both so i am not sure how to use it

Top Bottom