• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying advice - SVS SB3000 vs SVS PC 2000 Pro

sergix

Hi, I need some advice. I'm deciding between buying the SVS PC2000 Pro and SVS SB-3000 (unfortunately I don't have room for the PB version). We have an open living room (so including the dining room and kitchen) it is approximately 6000 cubic feet (specifically, the living room is less than 16.5x16.5ft, i.e. 3800 cubic feet (total 260 sqft, ceiling 15 feet), listening position distance from SW is 10 feet). The only place for a subwoofer is in the corner by the corner window. usage 30% music 70% movies. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

TankTop

I had dual SB3000’s in a similar sized room and they were amazing but if you’re only running a single sub I’d suggest going with a PC2000 pro. You’ll definitely want some kind of room correction since you don’t have the luxury of picking the ideal subwoofer placement.

kibs

That's a huge room. Needs a PB 3000 or above but of those two I'd go with the pc 2000. Unless if your budget can get to the PC 4000

OP
S

sergix

That's a huge room. Needs a PB 3000 or above but of those two I'd go with the pc 2000. Unless if your budget can get to the PC 4000
Hi, thank you for your opinion. Yes, the room is large, however the listening area is significantly smaller (16.5x16.5ft). Do you think the PC 4000 will be needed, even if the subwoofer is about 10ft from the listener? Won't that be overkill? I don't need the sound to be loud even in the dining room or kitchen

kibs

Hi, thank you for your opinion. Yes, the room is large, however the listening area is significantly smaller (16.5x16.5ft). Do you think the PC 4000 will be needed, even if the subwoofer is about 10ft from the listener? Won't that be overkill? I don't need the sound to be loud even in the dining room or kitchen
A subwoofer is a pressure producing device, how much pressure it can produce is dependent in large part on room volume, so we can't dismiss the kitchen, dining room and any adjoining areas not closed off as the subwoofer will interact with them too.
A PC 2000 may be adequate but not optimal, depends on your expectations. For regular use I reckon it will be satisfactory. But if you want visceral bone rattling chest thumping bass you'll have to step up to the PC 4000. It's not about loudness but tactile sensation that comes from good room pressurisation even at very low sound level.
The SB 3000 has significantly lower output below 40hz than the PC 2000, I wouldn't consider it as a viable alternative especially if you're 70% movies.

OP
S

sergix

One more thing; do you think it would not be a problem to place 2 different subwoofers? i mean 1x SB 3000 and 1x PC 2000 Pro? because I don't have space for 2 PC 2000 Pro and 2 SB 3000 won't have enough deep bass anyway

kibs

One more thing; do you think it would not be a problem to place 2 different subwoofers? i mean 1x SB 3000 and 1x PC 2000 Pro? because I don't have space for 2 PC 2000 Pro and 2 SB 3000 won't have enough deep bass anyway

OP
S

sergix

Thanks a lot for the post; from the video it follows that it is even risky to combine portem speakers with a sealed subwoofer? I was considering maybe buying 2 SB3000's.
Another thing, don't you know how to calculate the volume if I had 2 subwoofers the same - I mean, if The SW has 95dB ať 20Hz, how many dB will have two of these SW?

kibs

Thanks a lot for the post; from the video it follows that it is even risky to combine portem speakers with a sealed subwoofer? I was considering maybe buying 2 SB3000's.
Another thing, don't you know how to calculate the volume if I had 2 subwoofers the same - I mean, if The SW has 95dB ať 20Hz, how many dB will have two of these SW?
Each additional sub adds 3-6 dB depending on placement of the second sub. Stacked = 6 dB, not stacked = slightly less

Top Bottom