• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Ch Amplifier Teardown

levimax

Major Contributor
What happens if you plug it into 2 seperate circuits that are out of phase which seems like a 50 - 50 chance in the US?

JktHifi

I didn’t notice there are 2 AC power inlet so I change cast vote from 2 to 3.

MacCali

Major Contributor
This really needs two plugs??? I didn’t notice that on the first review. Only other amp I’ve seen with two plugs is the HCA-3500 and that’s a huge massive amp with two large toroids

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This really needs two plugs??? I didn’t notice that on the first review. Only other amp I’ve seen with two plugs is the HCA-3500 and that’s a huge massive amp with two large toroids
In real world use (Music/Movies) not likely. The efficiency of these amps are incredible. Maybe if you ran full spectrum pink noise out of every channel at Max Volume for an extended duration. But that would damage your hearing first and would be an actual determined effort to destroy your Amps/Speakers and Marriage. Never say never. I have two 6 channel 502 amps (12 channels total) plugged into the same 15 amp outlet that also powers Dual 18” JTR 2400 Watt Subs Amp, a 85” Sony Tv, a Denon AVR 8500h, and a bunch of Other low power devices, hue lights, cable modem/router, ATV, Shield, 3 Aircomm cooling fan vents, Harmony Hub, Hue Sync Hub, Cable Box/DVR, and a few other things that I am forgetting about. After several years and many hours of multichannel music and loud as hell Movies. Not Once have I ever tripped a breaker or even noticed light flicker. I long ago expected to have to run a new 20 amp circuit to run all this kit. So in my use case experiment. I concluded that double power inputs are overkill on Buckeyes Amp build designs and are there as a step above and beyond in the extreme cases where this might be needed.

Krobar

I've had one of these for years (Another 8 channel 502MP design):

The older version I have is 2 plug input like the Buckeye, if you plug only one in only half the amps work. The new design in the link is one plug, maybe Apollon optimised for 230V but I'd be interested to know @Apollon Audio

JktHifi

I've had one of these for years (Another 8 channel 502MP design):

The older version I have is 2 plug input like the Buckeye, if you plug only one in only half the amps work. The new design in the link is one plug, maybe Apollon optimised for 230V but I'd be interested to know @Apollon Audio
Purifi based vs Hypex based vs Icepower based Apollon amp, which one do you prefer?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Really? How is the "phase" of the AC power going to matter at all? Or did you forget to add the smiley face?
Like this:

correct phase 1.jpg

correct

wrong phase1.jpg

wrong

Edit: better measurements

Last edited:

charlielaub

Two random plots without any explanation in detail is really not all that convincing...

What are you showing here, exactly? Or more specifically what was being measured, what is meant by "phase" here, etc. I think it (phase) does not mean what you think it means in the original post that you replied to began this line of commenting:

Last edited:

charlielaub

No, I want to know about the system that is being measured in detail, and what is meant by "phase" of the AC in this case.

The reason I am asking this is that I think you are conflating what the poster was asking about in terms of the phase of the power with the sometimes issue in the USA of connecting a polarized plug backwards so that what should be the live wire and neutral are reversed.

In any case I was taken aback by this comment:
your plots do not support any effects of this magnitude.

You do know that AC power delivered to most homes in the US comes as two 120VAC lines that are 180 degrees out of phase. Right? So you are claiming that one of these has better "sonic performance" than the other? That is what the post was asking about and why it is "a 50-50 proposition" because there are two different out-of-phase feeds to choose from.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor
You do know that AC power delivered to most homes in the US comes as two 120VAC lines that are 180 degrees out of phase. Right? So you are claiming that one of these has better "sonic performance" than the other? That is what the post was asking about and why it is "a 50-50 proposition" because there are two different out-of-phase feeds to choose from.
I claim nothing,everything is there to see.
Just a hint,neutral in europe (where I am) is usually tied to ground in the electrical board (not in my case,the spike at 50Hz would be even worst).
And another,follow the fuse line to see where it gets you.

charlielaub

I claim nothing,everything is there to see.
Just a hint,neutral in europe (where I am) is usually tied to ground in the electrical board (not in my case,the spike at 50Hz would be even worst).
And another,follow the fuse line to see where it gets you.
No, there is really NOTHING there to see because the system under test is not described in enough detail to have a full understand of what was being tested. Your little diagram of :
PC>E-MU DAC>electronic analog xover>E-MU ADC>PC
provides no information about what you are making claims about: the power supply connection. Without details about that, how can we make sense of your claim or the plots you provided?

Also, in the USA the neutral line is bonded to the earth ground at the circuit breaker box.

Sokel

Master Contributor
No, there is really NOTHING there to see because the system under test is not described in enough detail to have a full understand of what was being tested. Your little diagram of :
PC>E-MU DAC>electronic analog xover>E-MU ADC>PC
says absolutely ZERO about what you are making claims about: the power supply connection. Without details about that, how can we make sense of your claim or the plots you provided?
Ok,to better understand it,the one measurement is with the plug of the x over properly put in the inlet (line to line-neutral to neutral - ground to ground) and the next one is with the plug reversed (you can do that in some countries in europe).
Everything else is identical,you can tell by the measurement if you know how to read them.

both.PNG

both

charlielaub

Ok,to better understand it,the one measurement is with the plug of the x over properly put in the inlet (line to line-neutral to neutral - ground to ground) and the next one is with the plug reversed (you can do that in some countries in europe).
Everything else is identical,you can tell by the measurement if you know how to read them.
OK, that is what I thought but I needed to confirm.

This is not the situation that the post about AC phase was talking about. In the USA your home's power, and any AC outlet you plug in to, comes from one of two phases of 120VAC AC power that are delivered to your home. Which one of these you are using is determined by how the wires are connected in your circuit breaker panel. Both of these are exactly the same at the plug, with one "hot" lead that has 120VAC on it and another "neutral" lead that is tied to ground at the breaker box. These are 100% equivalent, the same, exactly so, as far as an amplifier is concerned. The only difference is that the relative phase between the "live" wire for either of the power legs is 180 degrees out of phase. That is not at all the same as reversing live and neutral leads.

So, my point here and in all my comments about this topic is that your plots and that test have absolutely nothing to do with what that post was about.

Top Bottom