• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC502MP 8-Ch Amplifier Teardown

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I recently reviewed the Buckeye Hypex NC502MP based 8 channel amplifier. This is a follow up teardown. Let's start with the shot of the Hypex amplifier in situ:
Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel Multichannel  Amplifier Teardown.jpg

You see the vertically mounted amplifier module which provides the power supply and class D amplification for two channels. The capacitor brands are Aishi is which is a decent second tier capacitor. Rating is 105 degrees C which is nice. Here is a beauty shot of all the amplifier modules:

Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel Multichannel  Amplifier Vertical Teardown.jpg

The heatsink and mounting seems quite stout so I am not too worried about heat dissipation. It may actually work better than screwing them flat on the bottom of the box as is commonly done in less dense configurations.

Wiring is clean because there is a vertical board which houses all the XLR inputs and then ribbon cables carry the signal to the amplifier. There is a label on an IC above with Buckeye branding. I am assuming it is a small microprocessor to unify the status of the amplifier/protection circuit for all the modules (there is only one indicator in front). Speaker terminals are direct connected with spade connectors. I have recommended to use heavier duty ones to Buckeye and he tells me that the current production is using such.

On the left side you see the AC wiring loom which is nicely kept away from signal lines. It is also correctly zip tied to the bottom of the case. Here is a shot of where they go:
Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel Multichannel  Amplifier AC Power feed Teardown.jpg

Two modules go to one AC inlet. Nice to see the wires twisted here although I don't know that it is necessary. These terminals were heavy duty.

The fuses are built into the IEC socket:
Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel Multichannel  Amplifier IEC terminal Teardown.jpg

As I noted, the rating is 10 amps at 250 volts. This is fine for running at 250 volts but for 120, I would like to see 15 amp rating.

EDIT: as clarified later by the company, the sockets are actually rated at 15 amps by UL so it is fine.

Conclusions
Good design leads to a clean layout and implementation here. Not much to be concerned about other than upping the rating of the IEC sockets. I like the lack of clutter which should ease servicing. The custom PCB and microprocessor adds value here vs what you could build yourself in providing input connectivity and unified control.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, how to get full power out of the amp with a 10A fuse? That's only 275W per channel at 110V.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know the fuse rating. The 10 amp was the rating for the IEC terminals. It likely can produce a lot more current. Question is how warm it gets if you did that continuously. Fortunately music is not continues, nor are movie soundtracks. So in practice it is OK but in principal, not. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know the fuse rating. The 10 amp was the rating for the IEC terminals. It likely can produce a lot more current. Question is how warm it gets if you did that continuously. Fortunately music is not continues, nor are movie soundtracks. So in practice it is OK but in principal, not. :)
Oh sure, Still, it seems kind of on the limit. Your 16A may be a better option.

It would have been nice to see a version with SpeakOn and PowerCon.

laidick

Forum Donor
It looks like the AC inlets is a little bit different from what I have in this post.

Also, my unit seems to have better color code on the AC wire inside.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Good point and we know the most current likely to be available from US house wiring is 20A. Each amp module has a 250V, 12A slow blow fuse. Despite potential worst case draw, checked a comparable ATI amp and it has single 20A inlet. A quick check of electrical component suppliers does not show more than a 20A inlet. So, is having dual 10A inlets sufficient?

As you say, the answer must be the real world current draw is much lower.

p.s.

Crown tests pro amps at 1/8 power using pink noise. They claim this is equivalent of typical program power.

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
love a good hardware layout - yes serviceable - clean and neat... Thanks for the teardown pics and descriptions...

DerRoland

Buckeye Hypex NC502MP 8-channel Multichannel  Amplifier Teardown.jpg

It always scares me when I see line voltage nearby not shielded low voltage input cables, furthermore high current output cable touches the input cable.

But suprisely measurements don't show any impact, hypex has certainly proven the connector layout, so nothing to complain about.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With 2 IEC inlets does that mean 2 audiophile fuses for double the improvement?? :D

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A little clarification:
The UL and CSA rating for the IEC inlet is 15A but the VDE rating is 10A.

Fuse rating is 15A, slow blow.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
A little clarification:
The UL and CSA rating for the IEC inlet is 15A but the VDE rating is 10A.

Fuse rating is 15A, slow blow.
Am I correct that VDE is for Europe (220V) and UL/CSA for 110V here?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fuses are built into the IEC socket:
View attachment 277437
As I noted, the rating is 10 amps at 250 volts. This is fine for running at 250 volts but for 120, I would like to see 15 amp rating.

IEC C13 connector is rated 10A internationally but they are rated 15A in the US. The same connector, different rating; welcome to the world of international standards...

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
At max power at 4 ohm each module can dissipate over 200W

I doubt this cooling can handle 200W per amplifier module. For similar form factors with similar power you can look at graphics cards.

I'm less calculative if it is one module using chassis for cooling, but 4 modules using internal heatsinks?

Of course if you're using it for home then this amount of cooling is overkill as heck. But why would you buy a 4000W combined amplifier in that case?

mathman

View attachment 277448

It always scares me when I see line voltage nearby not shielded low voltage input cables, furthermore high current output cable touches the input cable.

But suprisely measurements don't show any impact, hypex has certainly proven the connector layout, so nothing to complain about.

Yeah, it's not great, but the wires are at least somewhat perpendicular to each other.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Is it of any concern that the big capacitors are sitting sideways and the solder can give way over time due to weight?

peniku8

Forum Donor
IEC C13 connector is rated 10A internationally but they are rated 15A in the US. The same connector, different rating; welcome to the world of international standards...
I was about to address this point, but I didn't know about the US thing. Sometimes the world is crazy. Whenever I can I put Powercon on my devices. It's especially neat if you don't have to worry about hunting for loose cables in tour equipment racks.

Top Bottom