• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio SUB10

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like it has been abused in start-ups, kickstarter and the video game industry for years.
The ICO boom was the absolute apotheosis of this concept - pay in advance for…nothing at all, other than the hope that a greater fool will pay more.

BeeKay

nothing at all, other than the hope that a greater fool will pay more.
You mean betting on the poorly educated, greedy and poor in judgment type of fellow citizens?

Well, not the worst approach. Often ;)

YSC

Major Contributor
What email is that. Can you share the whole email with us please?

It's weird that they listed the LPF in their specs sheet and not a HPF. If they have one but haven't mentioned it then it's a bit amateurish.
I asked: Hi for the new Sub10, I saw there's a satellite out XLR, together with a crossover setting, does that mean it can be used in a DAC->sub10->highpass out to stereo speakers?

then the reply was "If your DAC has volume control, then yes, your suggested setup will work. Assuming that you have some kind of amplifier for your speakers, or they are active. The amplifier module in the subwoofer will not power passive speakers."

if at all our bad english did not miscommunicate, it means they have a high pass

C0mbat

The one that answers questions. [email protected]
;)
From the image of the rear of the sub there doesn't seem to be any way to set a HPF. Maybe you can set it through the app though. But if you can then I wonder why they would bother putting so much control on the rear of the sub. Why not just put it all in the app like SVS do? They've had 2 years (as per their statement of working on it for two years) to learn feom SVS and seemingly not learnt enough?

C0mbat

I asked: Hi for the new Sub10, I saw there's a satellite out XLR, together with a crossover setting, does that mean it can be used in a DAC->sub10->highpass out to stereo speakers?

then the reply was "If your DAC has volume control, then yes, your suggested setup will work. Assuming that you have some kind of amplifier for your speakers, or they are active. The amplifier module in the subwoofer will not power passive speakers."

if at all our bad english did not miscommunicate, it means they have a high pass
They addressed your planned setup without talking about HPF.

YSC

Major Contributor
They addressed your planned setup without talking about HPF.
My following up question was "I am actually using a dac with volume control, actives are a pair of genelec 8030Cs, so say if I set the crossover to 80hz, it will get the correct high pass filter if I attach the genelecs to the sub's satellite out and no need to set the low pass filter on the genelec side, right? thanks"

and reply is "that is correct", I think if the english is right it means it does have a high pass filter also

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, would a 10" sub be too much for a smallish 3.6m x 3.6m room?
No. I have 2 15" vented subs in a room close to that size and they are perfect. It's all in the placement and EQ.

I am worried about the square dimensions--the worst--but with the right placement and EQ you should be able to get good bass at your seat.

Last edited:

Svend P

It looks a lot like the Lyngdorf BW-2

Halvside_vertikalt_800x450_bw22.jpg

C0mbat

It looks a lot like the Lyngdorf BW-2

View attachment 343305
Yep. It was released 7 years ago. I can't really see what innovation Buchardt are bringing but maybe we'll see some through the software and app. They're so light on details though. Almost like they haven't really thought things through and have thrown in together to try and catch some of the subwoofer bandwagon that they're in danger of missing.

kma100

Forum Donor
Hmmm...I don't see it that way. There hasn't been a sudden surge in subwoofers, hence no bandwagon. I am sure details will be released soon. I personally like the low profile subs - they meet *my* living room "be kind of invisible" look and feel. I don't need single digit frequencies!

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't really see what innovation Buchardt are bringing but maybe we'll see some through the software and app.
Obviously the Buchardt sub is equipped with a DSP enabled Class-D amplifier that allows for room correction, enables multi-room wifi setups, connects to network streaming as their speakers do, and so forth and so forth. No innovation? Yes, the form factor has been explored before. Good idea they picked it up, I like it.

Yep. It was released 7 years ago. I can't really see what innovation Buchardt are bringing but maybe we'll see some through the software and app. They're so light on details though. Almost like they haven't really thought things through and have thrown in together to try and catch some of the subwoofer bandwagon that they're in danger of missing.
You might have a point. I emailed them and had a few questions, one specifically about the driver excursion specs, and if these could be daisy chained. I received a response from Mads, no mention about driver excursion (except details will be available later), but he did confirm that these could be daisy chained using the rear XLR ports. This tells me that the plate amp is probably finalized, but the driver may still be in the selection process. Anyway, I am very curious about this sub. I am also curious about Dali Phantom S-100, and Ascendo 10” Mule woofer.

15.5mm to meet their spec.
Seems to me the product is completely finalized and entering production given the shipping date.
Interesting, thanks for the reply. The Dali Phantom S-100 has 18mm, which pushes me more towards the Dali. I would really like to see the CEA-2010 measurements for both.

Top Bottom