• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bring dust cap to original position?

ezra_s

Forum Donor
So, one of my sons (punished for life now) decided to push a finger in the dust cap of the wooffer of my ELAC DBR-62

IMG_20210829_105632.jpg

:facepalm:

Any success bring this back out? Any tips hints or magic tricks to restore it?

Madeintooting

Careful use of a vacuum cleaner hose, low power best in this instance, if you use a Henry open the air valve on the tube to reduce suction.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for the vacuum
Lots of examples on you tube I believe.

Last edited:
OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I used a vacuum cleaner with the air valve open, it worked to bring it out but there are still marks in the outside. I will try to improve it with duct tape or similar... :(

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Blue Tack gently applied till it sticks and gently peel it off ?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, one of my sons (punished for life now) decided to push a finger in the dust cap of the wooffer of my ELAC DBR-62

:facepalm:

Any success bring this back out? Any tips hints or magic tricks to restore it?

Years ago, my daughter did the same with her finger ... in my eye

The vacuum cleaner trick would just be another bad idea ...

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used a vacuum cleaner with the air valve open, it worked to bring it out but there are still marks in the outside. I will try to improve it with duct tape or similar... :(

Surely paint would be a better bet than duct tape?

Ultrasonic

You want to use a very light adhesive tape, like scotch or similar.

For repairing cosmetic damage, or pulling part of the dust cap out? I was referring to the former.

Shazb0t

For repairing cosmetic damage, or pulling part of the dust cap out? I was referring to the former.
*He'll be fine with either as long as he is careful.

Since this is actually a dust cap and not a tweeter or midrange (one of the above videos got that wrong), if you get it most of the way there I wouldn't expect there to be an effect on the speaker performance.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

You'll be fine with either as long as you're careful.

Since this is actually a dust cap and not a tweeter or midrange (one of the above videos got that wrong),. if you get it most of the way there I wouldn't expect there to be an effect on the speaker performance.

It's not my speaker :).

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
it seems most of it ended up going back to where it was by itself when I checked tonight:

IMG_20210829_215750.jpg

I will clean it tomorrow, but looks good. :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
So, one of my sons (punished for life now)
Kids & pets will wreck your stuff!

...I used to have a custom license plate frame that said, "No wife, no kids, no pets, no problems!" It was true... except for the last part. I came-up with that one day when people at work were complaining about their families and I couldn't join-in. The license plate frame got lots of laughs!

OP
ezra_s

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Great! Did you hear a difference in sound while it was pushed?

I got so worried when I saw it that I didn't think of anything else, but I was "just" enjoying music when I noticed, so nope, I heared nothing different.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You can always hit it with a hairdryer and any little ripples that remain will disappear after popping it out. Not too hot, just enough to soften the dome.

McFly

You can always hit it with a hairdryer and any little ripples that remain will disappear after popping it out. Not too hot, just enough to soften the dome.
I was thinking about this - how well does this work? Videos?

I had a (cant remember now - maybe designer series) cheap dayton woofer that inverted its dustcap by itself after being used at a party near max power all night. I think the air pressure behind the cone must've created a vacuum, and the voice coil was hot enough to heat the cap up nice and soft, pulling the cap inwards. Was weird. No problem, just chucked in a replacement.

Top Bottom