• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breeze TPA3255 XLR Balanced Amplifier TearDown : DIP8 Op Amps.

SMen

Please excuse me for my ignorance but I have just purchased one of these and wondering if you could point out the neutral and phase and how you corrected it as I may need to do the same.
I think (but I cannot be sure) that the more recent models are wired differently, certainly mine is, and this was not an issue for me.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think (but I cannot be sure) that the more recent models are wired differently, certainly mine is, and this was not an issue for me.
Thanks for the reply. I have just ordered via Ali Express. I am thinking of upgrading a couple of things, not really needing to go deep on much. The power supply will be the biggest change but I still need to confirm that if I do that it will be a straight swap/switch out of the stock supply without having to change any caps, resistors and so on. Following a link on this thread I found an better power supply at 36v 11a. Do you know while I have your attention, if it will be a clean swap without any further work i.e caps and so on?

SMen

My understanding is that it should be just a clean swap at that power level. Please would you re-share the link to the power supply you are looking at?
I stopped at just the OP amps, and isolators for the OP amps.

Schlippwhip68

My understanding is that it should be just a clean swap at that power level. Please would you re-share the link to the power supply you are looking at?
I stopped at just the OP amps, and isolators for the OP amps.
If you can have a look at those following the link and let me know what you think. I'm no expert but these seem to fit the bill. I was thinking the 36v 11a version.

SMen

Thank you for the link.

I equally am no expert, only my ears, but there are a couple of contributors here who might chip in. Those look to be interesting power supplies. Important to verify the dimensions so that they fit inside the case. If these are as the seller describes, then certainly your choice has lower noise than the power supply provided. I found it very interesting to swap between the OP amps it comes with, and the OPA 1656. I find I have plenty of power with 36v, but I totally understand the conversion for 48v with demanding speakers.

Dimensions: 127*82*45 - I am away from my unit until next week to check - ok looked on ali express and BRZ is 46mm high so tight - need to physically measure inner height.

I would also be very interested in what your findings are when you swap the power supply so please let me (us) know. :)

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

Thank you for the link.

I equally am no expert, only my ears, but there are a couple of contributors here who might chip in. Those look to be interesting power supplies. Important to verify the dimensions so that they fit inside the case. If these are as the seller describes, then certainly your choice has lower noise than the power supply provided. I found it very interesting to swap between the OP amps it comes with, and the OPA 1656. I find I have plenty of power with 36v, but I totally understand the conversion for 48v with demanding speakers.

Dimensions: 127*82*45 - I am away from my unit until next week to check - ok looked on ali express and BRZ is 46mm high so tight - need to physically measure inner height.

I would also be very interested in what your findings are when you swap the power supply so please let me (us all) know. :)
No problems there at all sharing. I am still a little hesitant with the power supply as I am not sure about swapping out the Wima 4 red 1uf capacitors at the front for the bigger 10uf versions as mentioned on page 7. I can do it but just wondering if it is necessary if the power supply remains the same voltage. I am not interested in going above 36v. Yes, that is a tight fit, probably wont go in so I will commence on some more online hunting. At least for now the isolator boards and new op amps will do.

SMen

No problems there at all sharing. I am still a little hesitant with the power supply as I am not sure about swapping out the Wima 4 red 1uf capacitors at the front for the bigger 10uf versions as mentioned on page 7. I can do it but just wondering if it is necessary if the power supply remains the same voltage. I am not interested in going above 36v. Yes, that is a tight fit, probably wont go in so I will commence on some more online hunting. At least for now the isolator boards and new op amps will do.
I will stand corrected, but I am pretty sure that an improved power supply was recommended by ICIETDIYEUR and it did not require changing those Wima capacitors.

What we did not get though was a comparison after making modifications, but keeping the existing voltage. Only the 48volt modification.

I think you will find the op amps obvious, but the isolator boards not so. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Schlippwhip68

Does anyone have experience of something like this:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/smps-power-supply/smps300re-power-supply-module-300w-36v-p-6816.html ?

I am also curious about benefits of higher quality power supply, LLC for example.
Those power supplies look a bit tasty but in regards to the Isolators I will try these first, some interesting options, will probably stay mid tier on these but am wondering if they are actually worth it if I am honest but for it is 60/40 at present but again not really doubting other members experiences either.

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

I will stand corrected, but I am pretty sure that an improved power supply was recommended by ICIETDIYEUR and it did not require changing those Wima capacitors.

What we did not get though was a comparison after making modifications, but keeping the existing voltage. Only the 48volt modification.

I think you will find the op amps obvious, but the isolator boards not so. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Yes, I have a few op amps here to play with including Muses 8820d, Oracle 02, opa2134, and a few others. I am interested in the Burson V5i at the moment as well as the Muses 01, those two seem quite close to each other but quite a few people agree that the Muses01 has the edge over the Burson. The opa1656 is in mind too...so will have a little rolling fun first and get back to you, cheers!

SMen

Yes, I have a few op amps here to play with including Muses 8820d, Oracle 02, opa2134, and a few others. I am interested in the Burson V5i at the moment as well as the Muses 01, those two seem quite close to each other but quite a few people agree that the Muses01 has the edge over the Burson. The opa1656 is in mind too...so will have a little rolling fun first and get back to you, cheers!
I have only tried the OPA1656 (well, I tried a couple of others but they did not stay in very long). Muses01 could be interesting... interested to hear

Schlippwhip68

I have only tried the OPA1656 (well, I tried a couple of others but they did not stay in very long). Muses01 could be interesting... interested to hear
I am curious about the Muses 01 although I did hear a comparison on You Tube between the 01 and 02 and actually slightly prefered the 02. It sounded more natural to my ears. The male vocals sounded live, every intake of breath and tonsil wobble could be easily heard with the 02. The 01 seemed to lose a little intimacy in that range but still quite good. The 01 is a Fet amp and the 02 is Bipolar which throws a curve ball into the ring of Fets sounding a little better than Bipolar, Audio is certainly a sphere where a lot of grace is needed towards different implementations of science towards the subjective ears of man. The 8820d is supposed to be similar to the 02 minus a few subtleties so i think i may be able to gauge from there whether the 02 will be the better choice for me personally but it is also more expensive than the 01 here in the UK by £10! Still, its a lifetime purchase so could be worth it.

v1adpetrov2

Has anybody been able to use a pre amp with this amp from BRZHIFI?
I am using a DAC SMSL D300 in preamp mode, which is connected to a Breeze TPA3255 XLR.

...I am still a little hesitant with the power supply as I am not sure about swapping out the Wima 4 red 1uf capacitors at the front for the bigger 10uf versions as mentioned on page 7. I can do it but just wondering if it is necessary if the power supply remains the same voltage.
The replacement of WIMA capacitors has nothing to do with the replacement of the power supply!
The increase in capacity from 1uF to 10uF is designed to preserve the maximum quality of the audio signal from the inputs of the XLR or RCA amplifier.

Schlippwhip68

I am using a DAC SMSL D300 in preamp mode, which is connected to a Breeze TPA3255 XLR.

The replacement of WIMA capacitors has nothing to do with the replacement of the power supply!
The increase in capacity from 1uF to 10uF is designed to preserve the maximum quality of the audio signal from the inputs of the XLR or RCA amplifier.
Sincerely, thank you.

Schlippwhip68

People hi :)

I received my 'decoupling bases' that I talked about earlier in this post.

Here are just a few pictures to present them to you ->

1 - Box received (x2)

View attachment 239389

2 - View above

View attachment 239390

3 - View below

View attachment 239391

4 - General view 1

View attachment 239392

5 - General view 2

View attachment 239393

6 - Climb with OPA 1656

View attachment 239394

7 - My old ones 'decoupling bases'

View attachment 239396

8 - In the amplifier

View attachment 239399

And that's it :cool:

( As a reminder, you can find them -> HERE <- )

Regards.
Cool, just ordered a set for this amp.

Schlippwhip68

Hi
The amp arrived today and I have to say that out of the box without modding this things quite ok, I can certainly live with it without touching the internals. Regardless to say I did.
I’m not going to as far as cap replacing etc as to be brutally honest I don’t hear a need for it. However the op amps aroused my curiosity and so I broke it open and tried the Oracle 02. They sounded ok, quite a bit smoother and more evenly balanced than the stock amps but sadly not a strong in the low end frequencies as I would prefer. My decouplers have not yet arrived from our friends overseas in China so I cannot report any differences there but I did opt for another op amp swap while I had the lid off. I replaced the Oracle 02 with the Muses 8820. Better in short, much better. Better bass and instrument separation than the Oracle 02 and less brittle than the stock NE5532D. I think the Muses 8820 is very good choice of op amp for the BRZHIFI 3255XLR.
The decouplers should arrive in a week or two and I will pop them in but exactly what they will do remains a mystery and I have no idea what to expect from them. Do you have any experience with them?

Schlippwhip68

Does anyone know the correct AWG of the red and black power supply connecting cable? I am having to guess at 16 awg, 600v.

SMen

Hello @Schlippwhip68
Your experience is very similar to mine with the op amps, only in my case I had a pair of OPA1656 vs your Muses 8820. With regard to the decouplers, because I just put them in and left them there I really should take them out, and then put them back to really assess. Perhaps when yours come I will do this and compare. Your experience with the Muses 8820 makes me think that I should try the Muses 02 I have. I might do this over the weekend.

Overall this amp is a step up for me from the Aiyimas (07, 08) in clarity, muscularity and control, and running it with the volume contrul on maximum, but with a lossless volume control DAC upstream like v1adpetrov2 said: DAC SMSL D300, works very well. I use a Rod rain audio HIFI DA10 recommended by ICIETDIYEUR and I find it excellent. I also use passive balanced dual mono volume controls, and these are excellent also (a bit unconventional but I find it very useful). Also a balanced switch box here.

Top Bottom