• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bypass the op-amp input buffer - only Audiophonics?

Chazz6

Lots of good Class D amplifiers offer selection of two or three gain levels, which I understand are achieved in the op-amp input buffer in front of the Class D module proper. But I see Audiophonics amplifiers that also offer the choice to bypass the op-amp buffer. This is attractive if your DAC puts out good voltage and your speakers are run at medium or low volume.
Does any other manufacturer of completely assembled Class D amplifiers offer this bypass option?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Lots of good Class D amplifiers offer selection of two or three gain levels, which I understand are achieved in the op-amp input buffer in front of the Class D module proper. But I see Audiophonics amplifiers that also offer the choice to bypass the op-amp buffer. This is attractive if your DAC puts out good voltage and your speakers are run at medium or low volume.
Does any other manufacturer of completely assembled Class D amplifiers offer this bypass option?
Which model?

OP
Chazz6

Chazz6

Which model?

Thanks for your question, Buckeye. Any of yours?
Several Audiophonics, for example, their LPA-S400ET Class D Stereo Amplifier Purifi 1ET400A 2x400W 4 Ohm
5 gain settings, switchable via jumper on the underside of the unit :
Gain of +7.2dB, i.e. a total of 20dB - Maximum power reached with a 4.19V RMS signal.
Gain of +12.5dB, i.e. a total of 26dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of 2.07V RMS.
Total gain of 32dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of 1.05Vrms
Total gain of 34dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of 0.83Vrms
Bypass (buffer deactivated): In this case, the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.5dB. This mode can be interesting when using a powerful preamplifier, capable of driving a load of 2 to 4K Ohm and reaching a voltage of 10V RMS.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ss-d-purifi-1et400a-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Bypassing the buffer has for effect to present a low impedance to the upstream component. At the same time, the upstream component has to output relatively high voltages due to the low amplifier gain. Result is increased system distorsion.
A properly designed buffer set to unity gain will be almost transparent (noise below 1 uV, distorsion below -130 dB) and maintain the high input impedance. As a result, system performance is better than with buffer bypassed.
That said, customer is king and our buffers can be bypassed via internal jumpers for our Arthur 4222/E1 and all of our A series.

JohnnyNG

The ability to bypass the buffer was a principal determinant (along with the slim form-factor) in my purchasing a pair of Audiophonics MPA-M400ET mono amps. Based on Amir's review, should have been no problem for my Topping Pre90. When I tried it, though, the sound was distinctly worse - weirdly undynamic and kind of "colorless". The combo seems much happier with Gain of +7.2dB and 94kΩ input impedance. Regardless, the buffered options are so close to bypass in terms of performance it was more of an academic interest I guess.

Top Bottom