• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bose adds customizable EQ to its QuietComfort 45 headphones

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I know Amir had some frustration with Bose software in the past when he tested my wife's NC700. I sent him a pair of QC45 to test right when they were launched. They will definitely have the original firmware. He is welcome to update and play around with the firmware and this feature if he wants to. Either that, or I can do it after he sends them back to me.

Blackdevil77

I know Amir had some frustration with Bose software in the past when he tested my wife's NC700. I sent him a pair of QC45 to test right when they were launched. They will definitely have the original firmware. He is welcome to update and play around with the firmware and this feature if he wants to. Either that, or I can do it after he sends them back to me.

Did he ever test them? I ran across his review of the 35 II and was set to buy them after that, then saw they stopped making them. Then I read the 45's don't sound as good, at least with the original firmware

Moonhead

I had QC35II and my wife sold her 700 to purchase QC45, Big mistake as the newer 45 is a downgrade in every way to both 35 & 700, same with Sony, IMO.

Edit: There is a updated QC35II Gaming which seems nice going by rtings and yet another Bose SE version.

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

I had QC35 and my wife sold her 700 to purchase QC45, Big mistake as newer 45 is a downgrade in every way to both 35 & 700, IMO.

Yeah that's what I've been reading. Can't find the 35 II anymore either, so that's frustrating. Sony just released the XM5 version of their noise cancelling headphones which seem decent, but of course the sound signature is significantly bass boosted and the in app eq only allows eq down to 400 hz from what I can see.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Did he ever test them? I ran across his review of the 35 II and was set to buy them after that, then saw they stopped making them. Then I read the 45's don't sound as good, at least with the original firmware
Haha, no. they're probably burried in the pile. My QC35 is still going strong, so I haven't rushed him at all. It's only been like 15 months or so. :) Saving me money because I usually offer to drop ship him something else I want to see measured as soon as the last thing I sent gets tested. I like to send things that are new to market so he can review them before people spend moey on the next new thing, but these aren't really as interesting as some of the other stuff I have sent, like the Loxjie A30, or Focal Celestee. We all know it is going to be a lot like the 35 with a better connector. Whatever other differences there are will be pretty minor. Me and @Jdunk54nl sent him a bunch of audiophile concert earplugs last year too,that he hasn't tested, but those we donated and didn't set an expectation he would return them. I suppose I don't care much if he ever gets around to testing those as I already bought a bunch and I know I prefer the comfortable ones regardless of the sound. I'll probably offer the Weiliang Audio Hood 1969 VU meter amp amp from Aliexpress when I get QC45 back.

Blackdevil77

I had QC35II and my wife sold her 700 to purchase QC45, Big mistake as the newer 45 is a downgrade in every way to both 35 & 700, same with Sony, IMO.

Edit: There is a updated QC35II Gaming which seems nice going by rtings and yet another Bose SE version.

I was just going to ask about that. Is it the same set, just with a mic?

Moonhead

I was just going to ask about that. Is it the same set, just with a mic?
Rtings measured the mic version just a hair more neutral, but I think most can’t tell the difference. On top of that mic version has better battery 24 vs. 20h and mic is detachable, sounds like a winner to me!
I have been chasing the standard QC35II for a while now, but it’s from 2018, so i guess it had its run and are not worth it.

My wife re-purchased the 700 as it’s still the best for phone calls, QC45 is a joke.
It’s a damn shame when the old classics are far superior to the newer products.

Blackdevil77

Rtings measured the mic version just a hair more neutral, but I think most can’t tell the difference. On top of that mic version has better battery 24 vs. 20h and mic is detachable, sounds like a winner to me!
I have been chasing the standard QC35II for a while now, but it’s from 2018, so i guess it had its run and are not worth it.

My wife re-purchased the 700 as it’s still the best for phone calls, QC45 is a joke.
It’s a damn shame when the old classics are far superior to the newer products.

It's frustrating for sure. They could literally change nothing, besides make them more modern with updated connectivity, and they'd be great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

oleg87

Yeah that's what I've been reading. Can't find the 35 II anymore either, so that's frustrating. Sony just released the XM5 version of their noise cancelling headphones which seem decent, but of course the sound signature is significantly bass boosted and the in app eq only allows eq down to 400 hz from what I can see.
Assuming its like my XM4s there’s another bass slider beneath the main graphic EQ. Not labelled with a frequency but something close to 100hz.

Top Bottom