• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget $450-$550
About $300 too high, look at Amir's reviews. You can sort by brand or price at the top of each column once in electronics in the Review Index above.

Lemwise

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also did the same comparison with a buddies Eversolo DMP-A6. The analogue input on the Elacs did again show a loss in transparency compared to the optical input but it was a smaller loss (the Elac's analogue input simply isn't as good as the digital inputs). The loss in transparency with the Node on the analogue input was more pronounced and that can only be attributed to the Node's internal DAC or analogue output stage. The Node remains a very nice piece of kit though but only as a streamer/digital pre-amp connected to a separate DAC or active speakers in my opinion.

Pecrobet

That's what I assumed, but wanted to get feedback from owners of NODE (like yourself). From everything I've heard thus far, the use of external DAC will provide better sound.

This is no surprise, as most DACs in modesty priced components usually perform better with separate DAC connected.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate your detailed feedback. I will simply start by connecting the NODE directly to my Cambridge Audio CXA81 using either Coaxial or Toslink to get sense of sound quality. Then, I will integrate DAC and see how it performs and sounds using analog connection.

DAC Options:

• Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100
iFi Audio Zen DAC V2

> Which DAC do you prefer and why?

These are budget DACs. I'm in process of upgrading to Topping or Cambridge Audio.
Any DAC recommendations:
Budget $450-$550
Don’t get a dac get the topping d10s D to D converter if anything.

All audio will be internally converted to digital in the speaker anyway. Why induce extra conversions?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t get a dac get the topping d10s D to D converter if anything.
There are cheaper solutions for some USB to SPDIF converters (SMSL PO100/PRO), that are absolutely not needed in that case anyway, since the CXA 81 has an integrated DAC that will be good enough for its own amp performance:
1000021980.png

1000021981.png

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are cheaper solutions for some USB to SPDIF converters (SMSL PO100/PRO), that are absolutely not needed in that case anyway, since the CXA 81 has an integrated DAC that will be good enough for its own amp performance:
View attachment 330068
View attachment 330069
Yep I agree. But if someone is looking for something to add…

I had no idea the SMSL is only $55. Exciting times in audio.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it works unless you set fixed output in the app.

How it works is just digital via the app or the top control on the unit.

Lemwise

What I'm curious about is how volume control works over Toslink or coax. I mean, it's a digital output so it's just ones and zeros, right? So how does the Node control the volume of my active speakers over Toslink?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I'm curious about is how volume control works over Toslink or coax. I mean, it's a digital output so it's just ones and zeros, right? So how does the Node control the volume of my active speakers over Toslink?
By mathematically attenuating the signal

Pecrobet

Mat

Quick question because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed between reviews and comment reading but...

I'm looking to replace my Wiim with another Airplay streamer, using my own DACs. Is the digital-only performance on the Bluesound Node / 2i ok? Or does it suck? (ASR reviews lean pretty negative) And is the N130 worth it for the USB out over the 2i, or is coax preferred (i saw some conflicting usb discussion here)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question because I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed between reviews and comment reading but...

I'm looking to replace my Wiim with another Airplay streamer, using my own DACs. Is the digital-only performance on the Bluesound Node / 2i ok? Or does it suck? (ASR reviews lean pretty negative) And is the N130 worth it for the USB out over the 2i, or is coax preferred (i saw some conflicting usb discussion here)
I use coax to a Topping E 30 with very good results with my Node 2. Digital is digital and that's what the Node passes through.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I have the Node 2 (still in use at work) and the N130 (home). I didn't think the sound quality was any different between the two using coax or optical out. Also, I didn't hear a significant difference using USB-out with any of the DACs I tried it with. And no, I didn't do any blind testing. Features on the N130 I like and use include USB-in and HDMI eARC. If those are features you care about then perhaps you'd enjoy the upgrade. If not, save your money.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Node 2 (still in use at work) and the N130 (home). I didn't think the sound quality was any different between the two using coax or optical out. Also, I didn't hear a significant difference using USB-out with any of the DACs I tried it with. And no, I didn't do any blind testing. Features on the N130 I like and use include USB-in and HDMI eARC. If those are features you care about then perhaps you'd enjoy the upgrade. If not, save your money.
Most say that there is very small difference with the internal and good measuring external DAC. That has been my experience and only here any with certain recordings and headphones.

Mat

Thanks. The ASR review mentioned issues such as jitter and sub-CD performance, but wasnt sure if these were flaws to be concerned about or a downgrade from the Wiim, which measures great.

chelgrian

Thanks. The ASR review mentioned issues such as jitter and sub-CD performance, but wasnt sure if these were flaws to be concerned about or a downgrade from the Wiim, which measures great.
The sub CD performance is with the internal DAC, external DACs are very good at rejecting jitter, the issues have to be absolutely horrendous, which they aren't on the node, before it becomes an issue.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Digital output from any of the Nodes is, to the best of my knowledge, perfect. I run mine digital-only through a Topping D30Pro DAC. It's wonderful.

LuvTheMusic

As others have noted, regardless of the performance of the internal DAC, digital output is essentially perfect. I believe that the jitter measurement in the original review is again with the internal DAC, although the way that the review is unclear on this point. In any case, jitter better than 130db down is not an issue.

BTW, as to the review comments about the software: unfortunately, Amir seems to have been in a grumpy mood or something. Speaking form personal experience, I have owned two products that use the BluOS software (a NAD unit that I sold and the newest Node that I happily use daily), and have never been unable to get one working properly. Earlier versions did have some bugs, although I have never encountered a showstopper; the current version (4.x) had a few issues when released last year, but these were corrected quickly.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As others have noted, regardless of the performance of the internal DAC, digital output is essentially perfect. I believe that the jitter measurement in the original review is again with the internal DAC, although the way that the review is unclear on this point. In any case, jitter better than 130db down is not an issue.

BTW, as to the review comments about the software: unfortunately, Amir seems to have been in a grumpy mood or something. Speaking form personal experience, I have owned two products that use the BluOS software (a NAD unit that I sold and the newest Node that I happily use daily), and have never been unable to get one working properly. Earlier versions did have some bugs, although I have never encountered a showstopper; the current version (4.x) had a few issues when released last year, but these were corrected quickly.
For a new user it isn’t the most intuitive but it pretty much does what it claims to do. It hasn’t been a problem. It could be better but it works.

Top Bottom