• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

lpdot

I also want to be able to make lists of favorites from my USB external drive.
If the drive is connected to the Node directly, adding to favorites would not be possible. Favorites work for network shares only.

lpdot

I ripped my CDs using itunes years ago. I wanted the best artwork so I manually found the artwork and using the itunes process attached it to the albums.
It worked just fine for the logitech server using a Raspberry Pi. Very little issues with artwork. Why would a newer more dedicated system be worse?
Implementations vary. Some software supports more file types, some less. My Volumio setup on RPi and my Yamaha AVR struggled with some artwork too, so it's not just the Node. It seems to be commonplace for standalone devices as opposed to applications which initially run on PCs. The latter prove to be much more versatile in handling formats.
Will using ROON solve the artwork issue and make it more reliable?
Sorry, this I can't say as I have not used ROON.

yllanos

I just want this:

See a list of the tracks on an album, or list of internet stations etc. Press the track - the track plays and is highlighted in some way, without any more steps.
I also want to be able to make lists of favorites from my USB external drive.

I'm failing to see the issue. No one is expecting you to create lists all the time, as queues are created largely automatic as you add items to be reproduced. As I mentioned before, the queue system is in place on Sonos, BluOS and Roon. Even Plexamp does the same, just not sure if you have noticed. I just made a couple of videos just for you.

This is how I play something from my personal library with my phone using BluOS:

So this is what is happening:
  1. From the home view, library contents are displayed
  2. Around the 06 second mark, I select an album and its contents are displayed. At this point, there is nothing on my queue. Notice right at the bottom, there is a clear message saying "Nothing queued"
  3. In this case, I will start playing at song #4, so I select that item.
  4. Around 08 second mark, song #4 starts playing and the message at the bottom changes to the current item playing. Automatically, all remaining items from the current selection onwards get added to queue (that means, song #4 is current and #5 on will be next, then #6 and so on)
  5. Around the 11 second mark, I select the current item playing on queue by selecting it (right at the bottom). This will give me a detailed view of current item, including next item at the bottom. Notice there is a
    index.php
    button at the top as well.
  6. I hit that button around second 14 and the complete queue is shown. Most importantly, this
    1669309698564.png
    will clearly highlights the current item playing. Notice a progress bar below the song I played and also some vertical bars going up and down on album thumbnail.
This is how I play something from my personal library with my phone using Roon:

1. Queue is clear. Notice at the bottom no items currently playing.
  2. From the albums view, I select an item around second 04 mark. Album list is displayed.
  3. Around second 10, I select a song from the album details list. A pop-up message appears
  4. Next, I select "Play from here" option around second 15. This means starting from this item, all remaining album contents will get added to queue (this is essentially the same as step 3 on BluOS case above. Notice at the bottom currently playing item. Also, from this view (album view) current item gets a little icon with vertical bars to indicate current item
    1669310734290.png
  5. Around second 19, I select current item at the bottom to see details view.
  6. Then around second 21, I select Queue at the top and current item playing is highlighted as well
    1669310877547.png
  7. Then I go to a second example on how to play a single item (not the remaining songs from the album list)

As you see, I didn't create any lists and yet I'm able to go through my library no problem.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but all my library is on a NAS drive attached to my home network. No USB device is attached to NODE

Last edited:

lpdot

My guess is MattHooper is looking for an interface similar to desktop apps where you typically have the list of albums on the left and the list of songs on the right (layouts could be different of course).

In that case whenever you click on an album on the left, you see the track list on the right. And when you click on any song in the list, it starts playing and is highlighted - by an icon or by inverse coloring or something. And you can see the current song at all times without switching to the queue screen.

I am using a Foobar2000 layout analogy that I always configure, since this queue thing confuses me too.

yllanos

My guess is MattHooper is looking for an interface similar to desktop apps where you typically have the list of albums on the left and the list of songs on the right (layouts could be different of course).

In that case whenever you click on an album on the left, you see the track list on the right. And when you click on any song in the list, it starts playing and is highlighted - by an icon or by inverse coloring or something. And you can see the current song at all times without switching to the queue screen.

I am using a Foobar2000 layout analogy that I always configure, since this queue thing confuses me too.

In that case, he just have to use BluOS desktop app. But in any case, I personally prefer the queue system by far.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm failing to see the issue. No one is expecting you to create lists all the time, as queues are created largely automatic as you add items to be reproduced. As I mentioned before, the queue system is in place on Sonos, BluOS and Roon. Even Plexamp does the same, just not sure if you have noticed. I just made a couple of videos just for you.

First, thanks very much for making a video to try to help me out. I do appreciate it!

Yes, the BluOS app works just the same for me as you show in that video. Unfortunately it just shows the problem I'm trying to get around. I hate all that queing stuff. It is completely useless for me and just adds unnecessary steps. Choose album, choose track should be it. But in the queue system it's choose album, choose track, click on bottom display to full screen, select the queue view. Two additional unneeded steps, and even then I find the queue view more visually confusing than what I prefer. Every time you select a track in the queue view it visually re-orients everything. Whereas if simply selecting a track kept everything visually the same, but just highlighted the playing track, that is to me more ergonomic. And the queue view doesn't even seem to work at all for internet radio stations.

No I actually don't like the typical desk-top layout. I hated it for the Logitech system, but was very happy with the ios IPENG remote interface. See album I want to play - select album, list of album tracks appears, select desired track it starts playing and is highlighted to indicate which track is playing. Simple. Absolutely no need for anything more, in my case.

I still don't know if the ROON app does this or not. I guess I'll have to find a ROON thread...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the queue view doesn't even seem to work at all for internet radio stations.
Try putting your internet radio stations in Presets section in The BluOS dashboard. Works for me because I jump around until I hear something that I like, then stay awhile, then move on and maybe back again.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try putting your internet radio stations in Presets section in The BluOS dashboard. Works for me because I jump around until I hear something that I like, then stay awhile, then move on and maybe back again.

Thanks Tim. I have saved a few stations in my presets. Though it doesn't solve the issue I've been raising.

It reminds me of how new software can take strange steps backwards in usability. For instance, I use an imac for work etc, and had always used colored "labels" to color code files for my work. So for instance, if I had a folder with various stuff and a particular folder was an important one I often used more than the others, I could mark it red. So in calling up the list of files, the entire file all the way across the finder window would be highlighted red. Easy-peazy to spot.

But that was too useful, so Apple decided to replace those colored labels with "tags." So now when you "highlight" a file among others, it appears as a teeny, tiny dot of color all the way over to the right of the finder list! It makes it that much harder to find what I want. Instead of the entirely highlighted file jumping right out in to view, I have to scan along the outer edges of the file to find the tiny dot of the right color, then scan back to make sure "ah yes, that's the right one." And sometimes it's even "off the window" so I have to drag the finder window wider to even spot the little "tags."

It's just one of those little "make it a bit harder to do this EVERY TIME" that wears on you when you are constantly using an interface.

This is one of those things....a sort of little "bump" between me and what I want to see easily...that becomes a bigger issue the more I use it.

fireboy1968

I recently bought a Bluesound Node to pair with the Topping 90SE I already owned. Paying $480 open box instead of the full $600 took away some of the pain for it's useless DAC. It does everything I expected it to do for me. But I suspect that if Lenbrook made a box that just did the WIFI streaming for an external DAC it would out sell the Node. But Bluos does stink. Tidal is hard to use and it is useless for Amazon Music. But the IOS app for Amazon Music does have airplay. Also, if you don't have enough music to use Roon, the Bluos desktop app is supposed to allow you to stream files off of your computer but it does not work. My solution was to rip into iTunes because iTunes has airplay.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the BluOS app works just the same for me as you show in that video. Unfortunately it just shows the problem I'm trying to get around. I hate all that queing stuff. It is completely useless for me and just adds unnecessary steps. Choose album, choose track should be it. But in the queue system it's choose album, choose track, click on bottom display to full screen, select the queue view. Two additional unneeded steps, and even then I find the queue view more visually confusing than what I prefer. Every time you select a track in the queue view it visually re-orients everything. Whereas if simply selecting a track kept everything visually the same, but just highlighted the playing track, that is to me more ergonomic. And the queue view doesn't even seem to work at all for internet radio stations.
Hey Matt,
When I choose an album from Qobuz or my NAS it pops up with all songs in order underneath. I pick the track I want and it plays with with a line cursing right to left under it. I can also add the play queue from its icon onto the same screen without going to the bar at the bottom. I use a 10" android tablet that I got on sale for $100. So maybe stop using that little iphone and spend a little on a bigger screen. People on the Bluesound sites seem to think that Apple BluOS is better (more featured) than Android so not sure what is going on with yours. Every device; tablet, phone or computer, older vs newer seems to have variations and unique idiosyncrasies on that same app. Just saying

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey Matt,
When I choose an album from Qobuz or my NAS it pops up with all songs in order underneath. I pick the track I want and it plays with with a line cursing right to left under it. I can also add the play queue from its icon onto the same screen without going to the bar at the bottom. I use a 10" android tablet that I got on sale for $100. So maybe stop using that little iphone and spend a little on a bigger screen. People on the Bluesound sites seem to think that Apple BluOS is better (more featured) than Android so not sure what is going on with yours. Every device; tablet, phone or computer, older vs newer seems to have variations and unique idiosyncrasies on that same app. Just saying

Thanks Tim.

I wonder if it's a Qobuz thing, offering that feature. But then again, none of the apps via my Blusound app offer that feature. Not sure I'll bother going Android, but I appreciate the info.

Ecksbocks

Disappointing results. I am a happy owner of the Node 2i and the app is great in my opinion. I use this with two Bluesound Flex speakers in other rooms and they are also nice. DAC performance doesn't matter in my case, since I am using the coax output to feed a pair of Genelec 8340 digitally.
Hi, I will probably use it the same way you are, coax to my 8351s. Does the Node let you change the volume?

Cheers!

reddavin

Hi, I will probably use it the same way you are, coax to my 8351s. Does the Node let you change the volume?

Cheers!
Pretty sure you can have the Bluesound app change the volume. You can also set it to fixed (max) volume. That’s the way I have it set since my Benchmark DAC3 has a remote control for volume.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Cheers!
Yes, you can adjust the volume. My LG C1 tv remote also works and commands the Node volume which is essential since the tv is also connected to the Node via optical cable. Remember to set the GLM max volume setting close to your actual listening levels. You want the Node volume levels to be near the maximum all the time, so that the sound quality does not deteriorate much. When the Node lowers the volume, it also lowers the sound quality.

Ecksbocks

Yes, you can adjust the volume. My LG C1 tv remote also works and commands the Node volume which is essential since the tv is also connected to the Node via optical cable. Remember to set the GLM max volume setting close to your actual listening levels. You want the Node volume levels to be near the maximum all the time, so that the sound quality does not deteriorate much. When the Node lowers the volume, it also lowers the sound quality.
Thank you very much. I received it today and I really like bluos app. Very happy with the unit.

Streamc

If I would connect external dac with disabled volume regulation to bluesound how volume regulation would be done?
What regulates volume?

reddavin

The Bluesound app has volume controls. Via the top screen on the Node or the phone app. You only want 1 device controlling volume. My DAC has a remote control so I set the Node to Max volume in Settings and use the volume control on the DAC. Either way works.

Reactions: CMB

Ecksbocks

Again, I'm so impressed by the Node, coming from Yamaha WXC-50 which I think is also a great unit, but even though the Node is more expensive the software make up for it, and more. Is also seem to communicate with Tidal that the Yamaha couldn't, and booth have the same specs in this regard.

White version match my speakers :)

Attachments

• tempImageBMpb4T.png
    tempImageBMpb4T.png
    443.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Top Bottom